Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2018, 07:16 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,657,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
1. Does the selfishness of Barack Obama's parents amaze you, as well?

2. "Look who is coming for dinner" was filmed 50 years ago. The selfishness of baby boomers!

3. What is the difference between a "decent African guy" and a "decent guy"?
1. If their parents were conservatives - yes.

2. It's a liberal movie with agenda.

3. The difference is simple: Her parents hate him. She has no other parents. She is their only child and she caused them enormous suffering. Those are facts. I would not even blink if her parents were liberals who may accept any person.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2018, 07:43 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bxlover View Post
I am 47 and given up for adoption cause of my interracial status so many years ago. America has not changed ????????
Was this necessary? What an assinine thing to post. The OP's FATHER is prejudiced. One specific person, not the whole country.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:00 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
A leopard doesn't change its spots. Your mother made a choice every. single. day. to reject you because she is racist. SHE made that choice along with your father. She may be truly remorseful about something - but is she remorseful that she was a horrible person who made bad choices or remorseful that her choice may mean she does not get to enjoy grandchildren? My money is on the latter.

I had grandparents on both sides who were unhappy that my parents married because my mom is Jewish and my dad is not, and also because my dad came from a working class background. There was estrangement that stopped when grandchildren were born. I wish that estrangement had continued - that family connection brought a lot of pain to the children because as much as my grandparents and uncles loved my brother and I, there was always a tinge of disappointment, inappropriate comments about our parents or faith, and resentment.

Children don't solve racism. Full stop. My brother's in-laws are racist and anti-semitic. Having a Jewish son-in-law and a mixed race grandchild haven't helped matters, only made *them* feel like they have moved past their implicit biases. Spoiler alert: they haven't.

Similarly, I have had to cut my own parents out of my life for reasons relating to their choices. I tried to reconcile recently and immediately regretted it. A big reason for my decision to cut them out of my lives is that I do not want their toxicity to spread through the generations to impact my children. In fact, seeing how they interacted with my niece and my brother and SIL as new parents was the tipping point for ending our relationship. My brother allows ZERO unsupervised time with my niece and only one or two visits a year.

So, given my baggage, you may want to take what I say with a grain of salt. On the other hand, I am someone who makes that choice every day to remain no-contact with my parents because they are abusive and it is emotionally healthy for me. It is difficult every day, though I am a happier person for it. Your mother made the decision every day to not speak to you not because you did anything wrong or because it was emotionally necessary for your parents to cut you out, but because it was more important for her to live her racism. Think about that.

So if you choose to reconcile, you need to watch her like a hawk. I would also recommend that she go to diversity, equity, and inclusion training so she understands that moving from a racist who is willing to cut her own daughter out of her life to not a racist isn't just a flip of a switch. It is WORK. She needs to be willing to do the work to have any access, supervised or not, to your child.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:11 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,053,778 times
Your fiance doesn't have parents involved and neither do you.
Do you want your child to have a relationship with your family? If this is important to you then you can make it work.

As the parents of an only daughter who now has a child, we cannot imagine not being involved. This baby means the world to us but our situation is not as complex as yours.

I can attest that our grandchild is the most wonderous adventure of our lives.

Might want to think about giving them a chance.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:13 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
Lots of mixed couples here... the last 5 homes sold were all mixed couples in the old neighborhood.

Some places are more open than others... and if this is a worry it might be worth looking into.

I've been in several mixed race weddings... some were some time ago... all the marriages lasted and the kids thrived... several are in college now and doing just fine.

Grandkids can have a profound impact...

I live in the SF Bay Area...

Old 09-18-2018, 08:20 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
A leopard doesn't change its spots. Your mother made a choice every. single. day. to reject you because she is racist. SHE made that choice along with your father. She may be truly remorseful about something - but is she remorseful that she was a horrible person who made bad choices or remorseful that her choice may mean she does not get to enjoy grandchildren? My money is on the latter.

I had grandparents on both sides who were unhappy that my parents married because my mom is Jewish and my dad is not, and also because my dad came from a working class background. There was estrangement that stopped when grandchildren were born. I wish that estrangement had continued - that family connection brought a lot of pain to the children because as much as my grandparents and uncles loved my brother and I, there was always a tinge of disappointment, inappropriate comments about our parents or faith, and resentment.

Children don't solve racism. Full stop. My brother's in-laws are racist and anti-semitic. Having a Jewish son-in-law and a mixed race grandchild haven't helped matters, only made *them* feel like they have moved past their implicit biases. Spoiler alert: they haven't.

Similarly, I have had to cut my own parents out of my life for reasons relating to their choices. I tried to reconcile recently and immediately regretted it. A big reason for my decision to cut them out of my lives is that I do not want their toxicity to spread through the generations to impact my children. In fact, seeing how they interacted with my niece and my brother and SIL as new parents was the tipping point for ending our relationship. My brother allows ZERO unsupervised time with my niece and only one or two visits a year.

So, given my baggage, you may want to take what I say with a grain of salt. On the other hand, I am someone who makes that choice every day to remain no-contact with my parents because they are abusive and it is emotionally healthy for me. It is difficult every day, though I am a happier person for it. Your mother made the decision every day to not speak to you not because you did anything wrong or because it was emotionally necessary for your parents to cut you out, but because it was more important for her to live her racism. Think about that.

So if you choose to reconcile, you need to watch her like a hawk. I would also recommend that she go to diversity, equity, and inclusion training so she understands that moving from a racist who is willing to cut her own daughter out of her life to not a racist isn't just a flip of a switch. It is WORK. She needs to be willing to do the work to have any access, supervised or not, to your child.
Thank you for such an insightful post. Excellent points.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:29 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
OP: I hope you have a long and successful marriage and beautiful children. Sorry the grandparents are choosing what they are, but it's too common. So much can change and continue to work on "your" family as that's the MAIN act in your life now. Hopefully your parents will wake up and if they don't, their loss.

Thank goodness I got away from the closed minds that I grew up with over 50 yrs ago.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:32 PM

2,163 posts, read 1,550,553 times
Too many folks think the world is just a big Disney movie. 'Awwww, but they're your parents.' So what. Racists don't just change overnight because there's a baby around. The baby's father is likely to still be abused and disrespected.

Too many folks concerned with being ' nice' to a person willing to disown their own child. Oh, wait, I forgot--jesus is watching, gotta impress him.

Old 09-18-2018, 08:35 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
Your fiance doesn't have parents involved and neither do you.
Do you want your child to have a relationship with your family? If this is important to you then you can make it work.

As the parents of an only daughter who now has a child, we cannot imagine not being involved. This baby means the world to us but our situation is not as complex as yours.

I can attest that our grandchild is the most wonderous adventure of our lives.

Might want to think about giving them a chance.

That's all very nice, but what does it have to do with the OP?

She has extended family involved. No grandparents are better than racist, selfish ones who are willing to throw away their daughter because she chose to get involved with a black man.

Old 09-18-2018, 10:10 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
I might have missed it...

How does his family feel about you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships