Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2018, 10:02 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,453,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippySkiddles View Post
Ridiculous. My friend who was so against the relationship has become educated with her feelings. She adores those twins, posts pics of them all the time, and loves her son'n'law.

your post was overboard assumptions
One friend sample. Not enough for generalizing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2018, 10:07 AM

14,485 posts, read 12,114,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
One friend sample. Not enough for generalizing.

I was going to say the same for you. Your examples sound to me like you're talking about someone very specific.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:10 AM

12,477 posts, read 17,794,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
I was going to say the same for you. Your examples sound to me like you're talking about someone very specific.
exactly

Old 09-20-2018, 10:13 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnhaze View Post
I’m 27, female and white. My fiancé is 33, male and black. I’m from America and he is from Nigeria. We met in college when I was studying for my Master’s, and he was doing his PhD. He came to the States four years ago. We’re engaged and get married next year. I’m also 6 weeks pregnant.....

My parents have been against the relationship from the beginning. I mean, I’ll be honest – I kinda expected resistance. This was something completely new to them. My parents are pretty old fashioned. But I didn’t expect such great objection.

They were furious and demanded that if I wanted to remain in their lives, I should end it immediately. ....

When I told the people closest to me that I was pregnant, word reached my mom. My mom sent me an email. In the email, she was very remorseful for everything that happened.....
Uh huh, and the cow jumped over the moon. If you weren't pregnant do you think you would have received that email? Sure, right after that cow did a back flip and landed at Cape Canaveral on all four feet.

Your mother has been bitten by the Grandma Bug, and as several women in this thread have testified, there is nothing more important than this infection.

A long time ago a very wise man said, "Hasten slowly." He was no fool, and if I were you I would not let what may be a rampant case self-seeking sentimentality and opportunism get too close too fast. You waited. She can wait.

Old 09-20-2018, 10:52 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Thank you for this beautiful and insightful post. I do remember when I first told them and they demanded that I end the relationship. At the time, my fiance and I had been together for 3 months. Part of me did consider ending it. I was thinking from a perspective of not wanting drama in my life. So part of me thought the best course of action was to bid farewell. I'm so glad I didn't do that. It's unfortunate that your younger self was unable to pursue something with what sounds like a wonderful man. I guess your foster parents had fear of the unknown.
her excuse was, and it was just an excuse, "we feel so badly for the children if there are any". And in this day and age, with all the bullying going on, I know what they mean, but in the same, I have to believe it will get better, and it has....especially in other countries. Nothing makes me happier than to see an inter-racial couple together with kids, and very happy.

We've come a long way, but still here in America, still have a long way to go.

I wish you all the happiness in the world....b/c at the end of the day, it's not about money, fame or power, it's about happiness and surely not about the color of his skin....

I'm going to explain something else to you...after I broke up with boy friends or husbands, I would be devastated and carried that pain with me for a long time. When I loved I loved hard, and when I trusted someone, trusted them with my heart, and when they hurt me, that pain remained for the longest time...that was the end of our relationship, but it wasn't the end of those wonderful loving times we spent together, before the problems started. So, I had to chose, where I wanted to be, and what I chose to remember, the good times or the horrible painful times....and I'm guessing you know the answer to that....lol Falling in love is the most spiritual feeling in the whole world...and everyone needs to experience that, no matter how long is lasts, or doesn't.

Old 09-20-2018, 11:16 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
I emailed my mom back earlier today. We are gonna talk on the phone tonight. I'm very wary and I'm gonna tell her if this is to work, it's going to be completely on my terms or it isn't going to happen. The well-being of my fiance and our child comes first. I'm going to take it slow and carefully.
Good for you...and so thoughtful of you to consider your Fiance's well being, and perhaps you need to tell her that, "that this really upsets him"...he is a human being and his feelings need to be recognized and deserves no more or less than what your parents think they deserve. She needs to know that they have Put you in a position where you had to make a choice, and that was an Ultimatum that they didn't stop to realize the consequences, and so wrong of them to do....and let her know, that he is who you will always chose, above them or anyone else. write or wrong, they need to support your decisions.

Old 09-20-2018, 01:05 PM

9,290 posts, read 14,905,031 times
Quote:
I'm not the one who decided to cut contact with me due to my choice of partner. I'm not the one who decided to completely ignore (when we met in the street) and I'm not the one who decided to completely sever ties. I fell in love with a wonderful man and they didn't like it. That is on them. I have no obligation to marry and procreate with a man of their racial liking. This isn't the 1700s.
Cold as ice. You're so righteous that you won't even try to understand your parents' concerns for your welfare based on their background and life experience. You also aren't even married- that probably concerns them as well- how incredibly backward of them.

This isn't the 1700s but it is a time when there is plenty of racism- ask any black or brown person. To deny this is to deny reality. You mention that your mixed race child will probably encounter issues, but yet you go ahead and condemn your child to potential issues. If my parents had done that to me, I would have loathed them.

But then all parents are required to have unconditional love no matter what their kids do- right? Let us know how that works with your own kids.

Old 09-20-2018, 01:14 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Cold as ice. You're so righteous that you won't even try to understand your parents' concerns for your welfare based on their background and life experience. You also aren't even married- that probably concerns them as well- how incredibly backward of them.

This isn't the 1700s but it is a time when there is plenty of racism- ask any black or brown person. To deny this is to deny reality. You mention that your mixed race child will probably encounter issues, but yet you go ahead and condemn your child to potential issues. If my parents had done that to me, I would have loathed them.

But then all parents are required to have unconditional love no matter what their kids do- right? Let us know how that works with your own kids.

Lord love a duck!!!! I need to email my mixed race cousin and tell her how screwed up she is for not loathing her parents.

Old 09-20-2018, 01:15 PM

42 posts, read 39,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Lord love a duck!!!! I need to email my mixed race cousin and tell her how screwed up she is for not loathing her parents.
It's incredible, isn't it? This alternate reality some people live in.

Old 09-20-2018, 01:18 PM

596 posts, read 889,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post

Her father called their relationship "disgusting and unnatural". That doesn't sound like someone who is concerned for her welfare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships