Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2009, 05:56 PM

19,637 posts, read 12,226,539 times

Advertisements

Something that I've noticed is that certain women don't like it if other women don't feel insecure about themselves. I can be pretty self depricating about my flaws and that seems to bother other women at times. They want me to cry and complain about things I can't (or won't) change? Not. Also this type will get pissy when you are happy for them if they get attention. Men will say "go for it" if their friend scores a cute girl. Women want their friends to be jealous and upset if they get an attractive man. They want other women to want their guy, not to be happy for them! Stooooopid games.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2009, 07:13 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
well I dont know why but I went to a bacherolette (sp) party and this one girl said to me. You know I have never met a nicer bunch of women than were in that limo and at that party . She proceeded to tell me that she had never seen women get along so well . I think it was cause we were all related in one way or another . I just could not believe a woman would say that . I think women need to stick together the way some men do .
This is true. Listen to the way women are describing one another in this thread. Don't you get the impression that most of the women that most of these female posters know are insufferable harpies and lunatics?

I think it's pretty common for women to say how they usually don't prefer women friends. I used to say that. I probably even said it on CD somewhere. The usual explanation for why male friends are preferred is that women are complicated, difficult or downright crazy. But now that I really think about it, why did I think that? Pretty much all the women I know are tolerable human beings. A few of them make me a little nuts because they're flaky or rude, but the mean, catty, insecure women? The cruel gossips? The psycho stalker? I can't think of enough women who fit that category to make any meaningful number.

It just makes me wonder if women claim to dislike other women just because we think we're supposed to.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:26 PM

525 posts, read 1,851,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
This is true. Listen to the way women are describing one another in this thread. Don't you get the impression that most of the women that most of these female posters know are insufferable harpies and lunatics?

I think it's pretty common for women to say how they usually don't prefer women friends. I used to say that. I probably even said it on CD somewhere. The usual explanation for why male friends are preferred is that women are complicated, difficult or downright crazy. But now that I really think about it, why did I think that? Pretty much all the women I know are tolerable human beings. A few of them make me a little nuts because they're flaky or rude, but the mean, catty, insecure women? The cruel gossips? The psycho stalker? I can't think of enough women who fit that category to make any meaningful number.

It just makes me wonder if women claim to dislike other women just because we think we're supposed to.
At least in my case...NO. My life would be much easier and stressfree if I got along with my female coworkers (they have the power in my office). Besides it is not that I don't get along with them-but they do not get along with me.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:29 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
At least in my case...NO. My life would be much easier and stressfree if I got along with my female coworkers (they have the power in my office). Besides it is not that I don't get along with them-but they do not get along with me.
Well, I cannot completely rule out the possibility that I am incredibly naive.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:44 PM

3,488 posts, read 8,221,387 times
Oh my, what kind of women are you people hanging out with???

Of course there are women I get on with and women I don't get on with, but on the whole I find women lovely. By far the majority of my office are women and everyone is so nice and supportive of each other. Occassionally people make catty remarks, but I just don't engage with that stuff. I think you get back what you give out - I try to be nice and friendly, so they are too. One girl was a bit 'chilly' to start with, but now even she's warmed up.

Why on earth would you be friends with a person who wouldn't be happy for you?? I'm always happy for my friends if something good happens for them and they always seem very happy for me.

Last night my dh was out watching a game - I mentioned it on Facebook and immidately got invited out to dinner with a couple of girl friends. That's what women do - they're there for chats, fun days out, bouncing ideas off and I love hanging out with other girls.

I have never even seen a fight between two women or heard of any of my friends (or anyone I know) being involved in such a thing.

This is a sad, sad thread, but know that we don't all think of women in such a negative way.
I try to surround myself with positive people so perhaps that's why my experiences are different.

Old 04-08-2009, 07:57 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,363,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobokenkitchen View Post
Oh my, what kind of women are you people hanging out with???

Of course there are women I get on with and women I don't get on with, but on the whole I find women lovely. By far the majority of my office are women and everyone is so nice and supportive of each other. Occassionally people make catty remarks, but I just don't engage with that stuff. I think you get back what you give out - I try to be nice and friendly, so they are too. One girl was a bit 'chilly' to start with, but now even she's warmed up.

Why on earth would you be friends with a person who wouldn't be happy for you?? I'm always happy for my friends if something good happens for them and they always seem very happy for me.

Last night my dh was out watching a game - I mentioned it on Facebook and immidately got invited out to dinner with a couple of girl friends. That's what women do - they're there for chats, fun days out, bouncing ideas off and I love hanging out with other girls.

I have never even seen a fight between two women or heard of any of my friends (or anyone I know) being involved in such a thing.

This is a sad, sad thread, but know that we don't all think of women in such a negative way.
I try to surround myself with positive people so perhaps that's why my experiences are different.
I'm sorry I brought it up.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:24 AM

5,554 posts, read 6,740,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPit View Post
Well, I've seen this too. But are you saying that you are unaware of the opposite? If so, you might get yourself a new neighbor, a family of new neighbors. Sounds like a pretty hip, progressive place.
My neighbors probably wouldn't be the ones I'd hang out with.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:40 AM

3,488 posts, read 8,221,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPit View Post
I'm sorry I brought it up.
You don't have to be sorry you brought it up - it's a valid question. It was just sad to see all the responses from people who seem to have difficulty in their female relationships.
I know this can be a problem for girls at school and I think it's great that you are doing research, but do remember that there are probably some wonderful young girls who will grow up into wonderful young women with lots of wonderful female friends. Hopefully your daughter and her friends will be some of these.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:44 AM

5,554 posts, read 6,740,191 times
Yes, I tend to think this is a girl or young woman situation, though I guess I have met older women who never "matured". And I have met this type in the workplace. But all the women I now know and hang out with (and I am happy to say that I am fortunate in having a lot of female friends) are supportive and my best cheerleaders. Maybe it takes coming into middle-age - I don't know. I know at our age we can pick and choose. But I have never felt unkindly towards anyone unless they have been unkind toward me.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:20 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Current gf basically manages at a gym type complex. Most of the employees are women and frankly she should keep a large spray bottle handy at all times to break up the inevitable cat fights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships