Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 12:58 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,433,444 times

Advertisements

I hear a lot of people that say they want to keep in touch with old high school friends. While I understand we all had tons of fun in high school,lol, do we really need to keep them around forever?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 02:03 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,357,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof Woof Woof! View Post
1) How many friends do you have on Facebook?
not enough

2) How is it that some people have hundreds of friends on Facebook?
maybe they add everybody they've ever known IRL & online, plus accept every anonymous request from people they've never heard of?

3) What do you do when someone irritates you and you no longer want them as a Facebook friend? How is this best handled?
depends on how seriously they "irritate" you-- either discuss the problem with them, or delete them
(it says msg is too short... )

Old 04-26-2009, 02:55 PM

37,618 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jahutch View Post
To each his own, I guess! All my closest real life friends are on facebook. I think that's where people miss the point. They see facebook as a way to have "useless internet friends." For me, Facebook is, primarily, a way to share things digitally with REAL LIFE friends, including those closest to me. In fact, I don't think I have almost any "internet friends" on Facebook. Every friend is someone I see IRL regularly, or whom I knew IRL in the past.

So yeah, no offense to those on CD, but my friends on Facebook are true, close friends - here its mainly internet acquaintances at best!
You and I use FB for the same purpose. I have no "useless" friends on FB. That's not what I wanted it for. For years I have been looking for somewhere that all my family could join up, online, and exchange/publish pics/updates/information. And man, has FB ever been the perfect solution for us.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:29 PM

493 posts, read 665,563 times
I just deactivated my account...I'd been flirting with the idea for awhile for a variety of reasons, and Flickr is much better for pic hosting. I'm convinced I don't need this aggravation in my life any more.

I hardly ever used it except to spy on other people anyway, and I got tired of feeling like a jerk for not caring enough most of the time to respond to people's messages or friend requests. Then I was shocked one day when some dude from high school who was a major, seriously big time jerk to me and just about everyone else the miserable bastard came in contact with, wanted to "friend" me.

Old 04-30-2009, 05:45 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,116,279 times
Quote:

3) What do you do when someone irritates you and you no longer want them as a Facebook friend? How is this best handled?
I joined Facebook to get updates about a social group to which I belong.

I signed up under a pseudonym. People still found me.

For the longest time I resisted having FB "friends". I would tell people "I'll be your friend in real life, but not online"

Now I have a few "friends". Mostly people who live out of state. I log in ~maybe~ once per month.

To be honest, when it comes to keeping in touch, I prefer Twitter.

Old 05-01-2009, 02:59 AM

60 posts, read 128,769 times
1) FB junkie here - it's more like CrackBook. 170 friends and counting.
2) Some people are social loafers...and popular on campus or anywhere really. It's networking basically. You meet this person thru a friend, or friend of a friend, and so on so forth. Or your friends suggest new friends.
3) Block him or her. Once you block them, you will no longer be able to view their profile, and vice versa. Another way is to put them on your limited profile.

I love FB and tagging pictures! =)

Old 05-01-2009, 03:40 AM

18,270 posts, read 14,433,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon26pdx View Post
I just deactivated my account...I'd been flirting with the idea for awhile for a variety of reasons, and Flickr is much better for pic hosting. I'm convinced I don't need this aggravation in my life any more.

I hardly ever used it except to spy on other people anyway, and I got tired of feeling like a jerk for not caring enough most of the time to respond to people's messages or friend requests. Then I was shocked one day when some dude from high school who was a major, seriously big time jerk to me and just about everyone else the miserable bastard came in contact with, wanted to "friend" me.

Oh yuck. I should delete all my accounts cus I don't want that happening to me.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:26 AM

491 posts, read 749,054 times
Quote:

1. 353

2. I have moved a lot in my life and gone to many schools the people you meet add up.

Just delete them

Old 05-01-2009, 09:52 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,643,526 times
Quote:

I have fewer than I can count with my fingers.

I can't stand these people who collect friends on Facebook. It feels very high-schoolish, like you're trying to win a popularity contest. So what if you have 100s of friends. How many of them will help you if you lose your job or get seriously ill? I think these people who live on Facebook have self-esteem issues. It's fine to have a way to connect with friends, but there's something unhealthy about connecting with everyone who asks to be your friend and then sharing all your personal info with them.

Old 05-01-2009, 10:07 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I can't stand these people who collect friends on Facebook. It feels very high-schoolish, like you're trying to win a popularity contest. So what if you have 100s of friends.
Why do you care? And unless the person is bragging about "How many facebook friends they have" (which I have never heard anyone do before), then what leads you to believe that they care?

Should people reject 200 friend requests because they are worried that they'll appear to have too many facebook friends?

Quote:
How many of them will help you if you lose your job or get seriously ill? I think these people who live on Facebook have self-esteem issues. It's fine to have a way to connect with friends, but there's something unhealthy about connecting with everyone who asks to be your friend and then sharing all your personal info with them.
Your perspective (and other peoples') about facebook seems very peculiar to me.

People use facebook to connect with friends. I do not feel that it is unhealthy for me to create a page with basic information for old friends and acquaintances to keep up with me, and vice-versa.

Whether a person has 10 friends or 500 friends is immaterial, and has more to do with the popularity of facebook among their social groups than it does with some percieved personality flaw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships