Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2007, 06:47 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,084,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmway View Post
This pretty much sums it up. I'll tell you one thing: I have been very tempted to move to Kentucky, as Louisville is the Charlotte of 15 years ago. I could do some RE investing and when Charlotte gets full and the trasplants flock to Louisville, I'll make a buttload of money and come back to Charlotte a rich woman. For real.
Hmmmm..... I was thinking of moving FROM Louisville but maybe I should stay and wait for the transplants?

Old 08-12-2007, 06:55 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,409,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
That sounds a whole lot longer than just 3 generations when you think about it, doesn't it? Liz

Well that was the point. Using the word "generations" with the number 3 before it doesn't pack the same whallop as 142 years.

Old 08-12-2007, 08:56 AM

331 posts, read 1,127,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
I don't think I've come across anyone down here who was directly involved in the Civil War. We live in modern times, so really...that whole Civil War thing...it's history, over and done and really doesn't apply. I don't think any of the recent generations thinks of you guys as living in a conquered country.
William Faulkner once wrote that "The past is never dead. It's not even past."

Of course recent generations of northerners do not think of the South as occupied territory. After the Civil War the North went back to situation normal but the South has been dealing with the ramifications of the conflict ever since.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:05 AM

112 posts, read 258,166 times
Like I stated in another post the north may have won the war. It never really won the peace.

Old 08-12-2007, 09:09 AM

1,502 posts, read 4,084,858 times
I have posted this before, but many people from the north do not realize the affects the Civil War had on the South even to today.

Most of the war was fought on Southern territory, the Souths infrastructure, economy, a way of living were devastated after the war. Many Northern Generals, such as Shermans March To The Sea deliberately burned and torched Southern cities and farms. This left a lasting memory passed down to generations of Southerners.

Southern politics were dominated by northern politicians after the war (Reconstruction). The South had no say in its government, and the South was flooded with northerners who took advantage of the Souths loss, known as carpetbaggers. This left a general distrust of a Northerners intentions to many Southerners.

After Reconstruction, the South was left virtually on its own...the Southern economy never really began to recover from the War until WWII. Even after WWII, there were many areas still feeling the affects of this war.

So you see, for the North, this war was a long time ago. The North could move on directly after the war, the South could not and the South endured its affects long after it ended. So it may seem so easy for you to say "it was 142 years ago, get over it".

Old 08-12-2007, 10:15 AM

34 posts, read 97,875 times
Default The North in North Carolina is

a continuing debate, from many many posts on this forum, I want to point out that the state is called North Carolina, so maybe we can all get along?

Old 08-12-2007, 11:07 AM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave O View Post
William Faulkner once wrote that "The past is never dead. It's not even past."

Of course recent generations of northerners do not think of the South as occupied territory. After the Civil War the North went back to situation normal but the South has been dealing with the ramifications of the conflict ever since.
Some ramifications...for some reason the south is so heavily desired that it's being occupied yet again, only this time by an influx of transplants.

You guys keep living in the past the way blacks are with slavery (I'm sure given the mentality they must have every right to be pissed off at you guys) and keep holding a bitterness against something you didn't even live through. I didn't live through it, none of us here lived through it, areas like Charlotte and Raleigh are booming. Doesn't appear to be any negative effects from the Civil War there. Hell, the whole state is booming so these ramifications must be fairly non existent.

But thank you and Carolina Native (and others) for really proving my point that discrimination against northerners, at least a good amount of distrust, does exist here today.

Old 08-12-2007, 11:15 AM

15 posts, read 38,784 times
Exclamation Perspective on native rights

Hmm interesting thread but it is all relative. My husband and I will be moving to nc in the vicinity of a yr or 2 from PA. He will retire at 52 and I plan on continuing to work. We are both in professional fields of work. To the point at hand. I have native american heritage so to my ancestors all of you are trespassers. It is fortunate you are not forced to live on a tract of land the government has chosen and banned you to after stealing your home/land out from under you. Don't you agree?

Old 08-12-2007, 11:16 AM

112 posts, read 258,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianH1970 View Post
Some ramifications...for some reason the south is so heavily desired that it's being occupied yet again, only this time by an influx of transplants.

You guys keep living in the past the way blacks are with slavery (I'm sure given the mentality they must have every right to be pissed off at you guys) and keep holding a bitterness against something you didn't even live through. I didn't live through it, none of us here lived through it, areas like Charlotte and Raleigh are booming. Doesn't appear to be any negative effects from the Civil War there. Hell, the whole state is booming so these ramifications must be fairly non existent.

But thank you and Carolina Native (and others) for really proving my point that discrimination against northerners, at least a good amount of distrust, does exist here today.

Personally when I encounter a transplant the first thing I think is I wonder how much crap they talked about us before moving here. Southerners know we have been the butt of jokes for years. I hope you do not think that any discrimination/prejudice is a one way street.

Old 08-12-2007, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle71 View Post
Personally when I encounter a transplant the first thing I think is I wonder how much crap they talked about us before moving here. Southerners know we have been the butt of jokes for years. I hope you do not think that any discrimination/prejudice is a one way street.
We've probably talked as much crap on the south as Jeff Foxworthy has, and probably as much as you have on the north. However there's a difference between a gentle poking and using someone's heritage against them. Would I distrust you just because you were from the south? Of course not. However as has been proven here, it hasn't gone the other way around.

This should be one of the definitive threads as to whether or not northerners are accepted. Eventually the truth comes out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina