Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2007, 08:18 PM

17 posts, read 61,222 times

Advertisements

I Agree About Shelby, I've Just Recently Moved To Shelby From Ohio. Great Home Prices, And Only 50 Min. To Charlotte. I Bought A Fixer Upper, All Brick Home With .5 Acre, Woods, Creek , Wildlife In Back Yard, That I'm Almost Done Renovating. Just On Trips To Our Local Loews Store, I've Meet Many Others Who Have Moved Here From The Midwest, And Ne. I Love The Scenic Rolling Hills, And Farm Land Surrounding Shelby. Shelby Does Seem To Be Progressing Too, With Neighborhood "cleanup" Programs Going On Every Week. Also New Boat Factory And "indian Motorcycle" Plant Going Up In Nearby Kings Mt.also New Hwy 74 Bypass Just Got Oked To Be Built Around Shelby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2007, 06:06 AM

28 posts, read 145,460 times
The news is in that Scotland County has the highest unemployment rate (10.2%) for the month of May for the entire state. It also abuts Marlboro county SC that is at or near the highest unemployment for SC. So those of you who are fans of other areas need to put up some numbers or I think that Scotland Co. (Laurinburg, Maxon) gets the prize.

Old 06-29-2007, 02:55 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,634,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyk View Post
I am thinking about moving to either Rocky Mount, Greenville, or Winston-Salem. What are these places like? I like big towns... I am from the Detroit area so shopping malls and such are a must, but I also like a lot of trees. I heard that Winston-Salem is "ghetto". What makes it ghetto? Could anyone tell me a little bit about these places? My reason to move there is because I want to go to school at the local community colleges and basically try something new.
If you are coming from Detroit or any place North, you need to realize that you are entering a different culture and things will be the opposite from there. People from the North seem to like living in large cities. In North Carolina, the country is preferred. It is always better to live in an unincorporated place than to live in the city. We try to get as far from the city as we can and still be close enough to drive in for medical, shopping, etc. Neither my husband nor I have ever had a drink of an alcoholic beverage and probably never will. Our life is centered around the church and family. When you grow up on 100 acres, you don't really care what is around you. You are pretty much self-contained.
Most of our towns have trees. North Carolina would be a shopping dream for you. We have outlet malls from one end of the state to the other.
Forget you car has a horn. Our car has been loan free for a long time and my horn has probably been used less than 10 times. Horns are to scare animals from the road so they don't get run over. Only rude people use them otherwise.
Forget how smart you are. We don't care how smart you are, we want to know how polite you are. No four-letter words please. Only uneducated people use those. Educated people can express themselves without being offensive.
If you like big towns, the only town that will fit your requirements will probably be Charlotte. Good luck with your search. I mean this to be helpful.

Last edited by NCN; 06-29-2007 at 03:07 PM..

Old 06-29-2007, 05:22 PM

103 posts, read 900,002 times
I would say that Jacksonville is one of the worst town based solely on jobs and looks of the town. It has a lot of bad strip bar joints and lawless behavior.

Old 07-14-2007, 04:39 PM

23 posts, read 114,536 times
Stay away from Siler City! It's awful! Randolph County used to be a nice place, but it's quickly loosing that too! Agreed, Davidson County is too backward to believe unless you're around the lakes down there.

Old 07-15-2007, 11:40 AM

4 posts, read 43,728 times
Default worst places...

fayetteville and greensboro top my list...in greensboro it's mostly because of the crazy tax rates. i also don't like piedmont or mountain areas. i'm a coastal lover, so maybe it is different for everyone...

Old 07-19-2007, 04:13 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,104,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Carolina Native
Forget you car has a horn. Our car has been loan free for a long time and my horn has probably been used less than 10 times. Horns are to scare animals from the road so they don't get run over. Only rude people use them otherwise.
You may want to change your attitude on this a bit. NC state law requires a motorist to blow their horn when passing another vehicle across a broken yellow line. In other words... When I pass you on the road and I blow my horn I'm not being rude, just law abiding. Oh, and turn signals are required too. And that center turn lane... It's not for merging, it's for making turns across traffic. There are way too many locals breaking way too many laws.

Old 07-19-2007, 08:25 PM

245 posts, read 765,666 times
Cary... too many shiny happy people crowded into one place.

Old 07-24-2007, 12:49 AM

25 posts, read 153,273 times
Star and Biscoe are absolutely awful. Dead, boring and just plain depressing.

Old 07-29-2007, 04:29 PM

1 posts, read 12,823 times
Default Great town -- Hillsborough

I haven't seen anyone in this thread mention one of the great towns of NC -- Hillsborough. Small, pretty, old, close to Chapel Hill, Durham, Raleigh. Expensive, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina