Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2017, 07:05 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,033,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
It must be RTP because I notice the direction of the traffic back up changes once you pass RTP. But most of the hwys in West Raleigh were full of cars. I guess people going home to the suburbs. Raleigh Durham needs a commuter rail system though.
Exactly. Like i said...You have people who live all over the Triangle, but also work all over the triangle. Durham people working in Raleigh. Raleigh people working in Durham. Both working in RTP. A lot of jobs in North Hills/Crabtree/Capital. Cary pulls a lot of jobs. West Raleigh is especially bad because of Cary, Holly Springs, Apex. Folks who commute to their high paying jobs all coming from roughly the same side of town but going in different directions. It’s basically a spaghetti bowl of traffic flow. Relative to other large cities it’s nothing to gripe about too bad yet. But it will continue to get worse by the day.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:06 PM

[quote=CLT1985;50261705]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Are you implying Raleigh has one developer that dominates the area? If you lived here in the past you would know thats not true. John Kane was just the main brain behind turning North Hills from a dying mall to one of the nicest, densest, developments between Atlanta and DC. Only just in the past year is he pushing into downtown.[/

No, we have Raleigh developers building hotels band apartments in Charlotte
Ok I gotcha. Misunderstood your comment.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:08 PM

6,157 posts, read 7,226,364 times
Quote:
Exactly. Like i said...You have people who live all over the Triangle, but also work all over the triangle. Durham people working in Raleigh. Raleigh people working in Durham. Both working in RTP. A lot of jobs in North Hills/Crabtree/Capital. Cary pulls a lot of jobs. West Raleigh is especially bad because of Cary, Holly Springs, Apex. Folks who commute to their high paying jobs all coming from roughly the same side of town but going in different directions. It’s basically a spaghetti bowl of traffic flow. Relative to other large cities it’s nothing to gripe about too bad yet. But it will continue to get worse by the day.
Commuter rail seems like a better option for the Triangle over light rail because it is more spread out than Charlotte. Its also faster. Commuter rail is also a less expensive system to put in place. Put stops in Chapel Hill, downtown Durham, RTP, RDU airport, Cary, downtown Raleigh and north Raleigh. Include park and ride lots at the stops.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Commuter Raill seems like a better option for the Triangle over light rail because it is more spread out than Charlotte. Its also faster.
I would tend to agree. There’s a plan in the works for commuter rail to basically connect everything but we’ll if and when that actually comes to fruition.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:16 PM

6,157 posts, read 7,226,364 times
Quote:
I would tend to agree. There’s a plan in the works for commuter rail to basically connect everything but we’ll if and when that actually comes to fruition.
I think it would also help attract more infill development near the rail stops as well.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
I think it would also help attract more infill development near the rail stops as well.
It would absolutely do that. Evidence of that in pretty much every city that has a rail option. We see it in a Charlotte obviously. The new Union Station in Raleigh as well is a early, but obvious example.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:00 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,517,646 times
Quote:
Here's another example of what i was talking about as far as the development going on that doesn't necessarily focus just in downtown Raleigh.

North Hills Towers | Kane Realty Corporation

These are updated renderings. That right there is basically a Charlotte Uptown style development but its not going downtown Raleigh.
https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nat...h-neighborhood

Probably Raleigh's coolest neighborhood.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:13 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,440,107 times
I never made it to the 42nd St. Oyster Bar, but I plan to go there next year. For some reason I did not go there when I lived in Raleigh.

Old 11-29-2017, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atowwn View Post
https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nat...h-neighborhood

Probably Raleigh's coolest neighborhood.
I was reading that article earlier. Love Glenwood South. So many options. Always a great nightlife spot for me personally.

Old 11-30-2017, 03:36 PM

3,051 posts, read 3,440,107 times
UNC Charlotte - Big Ideas | Big Future
A good video of UNCC.
I got my degree in Texas, but I support UNCC as our home town University.
I also a big NC State , UNCW, Wake Forest, Davidson, UNC, UNCG and Meredith fan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H38Wli4NGk

Last edited by CLT1985; 11-30-2017 at 03:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina