Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 08:31 PM

463 posts, read 1,650,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W
I was pleased when a couple of the kids working in the Verizon store in Durham, after hearing that we were moving to Mebane, said, "Why? Boooring."

To my mind, Alamance County had what I was looking for. It is my fervent hope that the high-maint types do not find it
Ah herd they-at. ( translation: I heard that)

I like Mebane. Glad you landed there. I'm also really happy that precious few people are interested in our little neck of the woods.

May they all be blessed and happy in or near Charlotte and Raleigh :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2006, 08:16 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,852,270 times
There has been a lot of discussion on these boards about transplanted yankees from "up nawth." Would anyone imagine that the same issues would apply to someone from Texas? I am a die-in-the-wool Texan who would never say anything bad about a great state - we are moving for climate and traffic reasons primarily.

Old 08-09-2006, 03:00 PM

741 posts, read 3,509,857 times
Almost this whole thread is "Northern Bashing" I have to say this , When Anyone from the Southern States moves up "NORTH" you will not find us bad mouthing you at all. This is unbelievable. We may honk (Beep, beep) if you sit in front of a green traffic light for 3 minutes. But, don't take it personally, we honk and yell at our own for sitting there wasting time. Geez, the light doesn't stay green forever ya know. I dont here of any other states that absolutely Hate NY, NJ people. We were born where we were born. Nobody has exclusive rights to any 1 state. We are being treated worse then the "illegals". And were all American. I personally have recieved dozens of solicitations in the mail from your NC builders. Video tapes and all, and this was before I even gave moving a thought. I can't wait to meet some of your native residents. I'm sure the Term Southern Hospitality really does exsist, just not on this forum.

Old 08-09-2006, 03:12 PM

152 posts, read 476,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patty nj
Almost this whole thread is "Northern Bashing" I have to say this , When Anyone from the Southern States moves up "NORTH" you will not find us bad mouthing you at all. This is unbelievable. We may honk (Beep, beep) if you sit in front of a green traffic light for 3 minutes. But, don't take it personally, we honk and yell at our own for sitting there wasting time. Geez, the light doesn't stay green forever ya know. I dont here of any other states that absolutely Hate NY, NJ people. We were born where we were born. Nobody has exclusive rights to any 1 state. We are being treated worse then the "illegals". And were all American. I personally have recieved dozens of solicitations in the mail from your NC builders. Video tapes and all, and this was before I even gave moving a thought. I can't wait to meet some of your native residents. I'm sure the Term Southern Hospitality really does exsist, just not on this forum.
This whole thread is really really sad..........I hope when my wonderful, friendly husband, my four beautiful, well behaved, polite children, and I move there, we don't run into one of you. This **** Yankee wouldn't want my children to be influenced by people like you.

Old 08-09-2006, 03:13 PM

293 posts, read 958,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by patty nj
You're absolutely right ...The thought never even crossed my mind about "labeling" someone if they are from the south. Those thoughts do not exist up here in the north.(not where I'm from anyway). I have talked personally to alot of people who have moved down there & they said the people are very friendly. This forum ( except for a few) is not a good example of true southern hospitality. I know there are true, sincere, friendly natives and I am looking forward to meeting them.

Old 08-09-2006, 03:27 PM

954 posts, read 4,376,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm34b
The smallest NC county population is Tyrrell with 4,149.

Clay is 5th smallest with 8,775.

Lee County is small in land area only. Lee has almost 50 thousand residents.

Greene ranks 19th smallest population.

Mecklenburg is the most populated county.
You took the words out of my mouth. As I read the posts, I thought, " I bet Tyrrell county is the smallest." They have more fire towers than people In fact an old friend of mine used to work for the forest service and sat in one of those fire towers for years. He killed a lot of deer in the mean time. Down there they hunt them with Hummers and walkie talkies.
I drove across Tyrrell Co on an old state road once. Drove 30 minutes and met one car.

Our friend who wants to get out of Yankee land to the land of Biscuits and Gravy, should have no problem.
Try McDowell Co. East of Asheville.
"Ain;t growed none in 30 year."
Ill be headed down there to take my mom back home next week. Bo Jangles here I come.

Old 08-09-2006, 03:31 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,584,448 times
What are you guys talking about...... didn't you get the memo.... WE'RE the mean ones. Southerners are undisputedly more friendly and welcoming than Northerners. It's a fact! (hey, isn't that actually the reason that many of you say you want to move south?)

Old 08-09-2006, 03:32 PM

18 posts, read 62,569 times
How do people feel about Union co.??

Old 08-09-2006, 03:38 PM
AVA

129 posts, read 321,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radiojoe315
I've heard the acrnonym Clayton Let All Yankes Take Over Now as well.

I've heard the acronym Clayton- Cary-like area yankees trying out now

Old 08-09-2006, 03:55 PM

152 posts, read 476,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'minformed
What are you guys talking about...... didn't you get the memo.... WE'RE the mean ones. Southerners are undisputedly more friendly and welcoming than Northerners. It's a fact! (hey, isn't that actually the reason that many of you say you want to move south?)
Absolutely thats one of the reasons. I've stated before in a previous post that the last time we visited the area we're relocating to, the people were wonderful. We exchanged ph. #'s with many locals, for a get together when we finally move there.
Maybe I'm over sensitive, or it's that time , but enough with the Yankee bashing. Get to REALLY know some of us.............we aren't that bad
I don't want to see Walmarts, Home Depots, Lowes etc. where I live now in LI, and I happen to live in a town where there aren't any, in fact, the town we live in doesn't even let fast food restaurants here, and I certainly don't want to see it all built up in the small town we are moving to in NC either. That's one of the charms. So although there are many "northeners" who obviously want changes like that, there are many who don't. And I know that the obvious response will be that "those are the ones we're talking about", but just how you decifer one from the other. It's really not fair to generalize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina