Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2009, 10:37 AM

1,928 posts, read 3,643,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebrentwood View Post
No, I don't.

When I say Northerners think in "WE," I mean they think of themselves as citizens of the entire United States.

Southerners are more likely to divide the country into North and South.

And most Southerners who identify characteristics as "Yankee" are actually identifying NY/NJ stereotypes as personified by the NJ Housewives show. I don't know anyone like them, and I hope I never do. I don't watch the show, but I can't even stand watching them when they're doing promos on other shows.

And flipping tables is not acceptable anywhere. If it wasn't so bizarre, it would not have been edited into the final TV show.
I will dispute one fact in your post. People living in the south have been dealing with northerners moving down for many years before there were housewives shows and the sopronos to influence their opinions of them. Some how on this thread they (the "yankees") have all been lumped together even though it has been restated many times that most people don't view all northerners in that light. The reverse is true too. Some are lumping all southerners into one single group. Again there are nice and nasty people everywhere and if everyone showed a fundamental respect for each other, we wouldn't be having problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 02:52 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wire120 View Post
Well, its true. Most of the animosity towards the north is because the north won the war. You can spin it anyway you want but is the truth.
You are so stuck in racist thinking, but you can probably fine a small minority of dumber than rocks racist rednecks to support your theory, but it has nothing to do with the Civil War for the vast majority of southerners, but the overbearing arrogance exhibited by yankee's that come down here and complain about everything, and just make crap up to complain about if they run out of actual things to dislike.

Not all, but far too many are loud obnoxious arrogant sob's that complain about everything, from the way we drive to the type of pizza they think they are entitled to find in the south. This may represent only 10 - 20% of yankee transplants, BUT they paint a very unaccepting inhospitable face on those that do blend in and embrace the good things about living in the south.

It's life style, quality of life, and a way of life that they are destroying, not a war that ended almost 150 years ago.

Old 07-09-2009, 02:55 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,341,299 times
Quote:
Well, its true. Most of the animosity towards the north is because the north won the war. You can spin it anyway you want but is the truth.
Who CARES who won the war?!?!? Was anyone on this forum there? We are all ONE free nation! We are all equals. Can't we all just get along?

Old 07-09-2009, 02:56 PM

3,153 posts, read 3,592,486 times
Not to your face..usually..

Old 07-09-2009, 03:00 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
It's SO much more complicated than that, really. Not "spinning" anything - just pointing out how overly simplistic and inaccurate what you said was.

Old 07-09-2009, 03:17 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,518,209 times
Next they (yankees) are going to accuse southerners of being racist, while in yankeeland Swim club accused of racial discrimination against kids - CNN.com

Old 07-09-2009, 03:38 PM

1,190 posts, read 4,047,733 times
Default reply

[quote=Asheville Native;9683840]Next they (yankees) are going to accuse southerners of being racist, while in yankeeland Swim club accused of racial discrimination against kids - CNN.com[/QUOTE

I love to see folks saying Yankeeland instead of the incorrect up north. My great Aunt called Yankees foreigners. That was always funny to me. Still is.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:10 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,871,176 times
[quote=uncletupelo;9684184]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Next they (yankees) are going to accuse southerners of being racist, while in yankeeland Swim club accused of racial discrimination against kids - CNN.com[/QUOTE

I love to see folks saying Yankeeland instead of the incorrect up north. My great Aunt called Yankees foreigners. That was always funny to me. Still is.
That's funny, my great aunt used to say that rednecks slept with their family members. That was always funny to me, still is.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:18 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
LOL!! Not hardly!!!

We call transplants from Florida (the annoying kind - usually people who have moved to Florida from the NE - then here to NC) Swamp Yankees. And everyone knows what that means. It means someone from Florida who is a loud mouth know-it-all, who is condescending to others and rude to locals. A Yankee by way of Florida.

These terms are used b/c the behavior is common.

But let me make this clear: if you don't get it, no one cares. Really!

Old 07-09-2009, 05:41 PM

206 posts, read 439,694 times
Quote:
It is only one piece of the puzzle, but it does happen down there.

When I first starting going down South, some people would give me dirty looks and snub me when I told them where I was from. I get along with mostly everyone. After it happened a few times, I asked someone why I was being treated like this. The person told me it all goes back to the Civil War. I said; "what to you mean?" He said they are still bitter over losing the war. I thought he was messing with me and told him to tell me the real story. He said; "it's really true." I was dumbfounded. I told him that the war has been over for 150 years. He said; "they don't care. To them it never ended."

Then I was told other stories about how Northerners try to change the South if they move down there, blah, blah, blah.

One of my son's live down there and he is constantly being harassed by his boss because he is from the North. Everything he says to my son is about how bad the North is.

Also, many bumper stickers like: Happiness is a Northbound Yankee.

We don't care how you do it in the North.

A couple others that I noticed:

If it ain't white, it ain't right.

If I knew it was going to be like this, I would have picked my own damn cotton.

They would get shot if they drove around with that crap on their bumper in the North.

Like I said before, I have met some great people down there, but the ones that are like what I explained above, kind of ruined it for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina