Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 08:33 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemmert View Post
Correction, I don't hate ND... I just see it for what it is and don't want it to be misrepresented. I have a lot of family in North Dakota, Montana, and Minnesota... they'd never think of leaving. ND wasn't for me, at all... and I want to help ensure others get the full picture and maybe even educate a few North Dakotans that there's a great big world out there if they wouldn't be so afraid of leaving their backyard. Dream bigger!
Not everyone wants BIGGER!!! and MORE!!!! MORE money, MORE people, MORE things to do, MORE traffic, MORE stress, MORE crime, MORE taxes. BIGGER house, BIGGER city, BIGGER paycheck, BIGGER problems. There's nothing wrong with dreaming "small," and focusing on the more important things in life. Some people actually enjoy the quiet, slow-paced life that North Dakota offers them. It's perfectly OK for you to admit that ND isn't for you, but ND IS for many people who value different things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 08:35 AM

5,984 posts, read 13,417,021 times
Quote:
Jobs yes... careers no... If you want 45 years of sameness, you can do fine in ND... get up every morning, go the same job, come home every evening for 45 straight years... that's ND. There's no ladder to be climbed, no career path to pursue... simply a paycheck.
What exactly is wrong with that? A stable job that allows you to be home every night - the horror! Not everyone wants to make six figures. Also, who works for 45 straight years? If you start when you're 21 (after college, military, etc.), that means you'll be 66 when you retire. I don't know of very many 66 year olds who still work, unless it's part-time to supplement Social Security.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:27 AM

555 posts, read 1,654,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Not everyone wants BIGGER!!! and MORE!!!! MORE money, MORE people, MORE things to do, MORE traffic, MORE stress, MORE crime, MORE taxes. BIGGER house, BIGGER city, BIGGER paycheck, BIGGER problems. There's nothing wrong with dreaming "small," and focusing on the more important things in life. Some people actually enjoy the quiet, slow-paced life that North Dakota offers them. It's perfectly OK for you to admit that ND isn't for you, but ND IS for many people who value different things.
I agree... and IMO, that's what ND should be sold as. Get off the scenery, the safety, and "great" schools, the jobs... frankly, that's all bogus which was the reason for my posts.

ND is slow... it's quiet... it's a place where you can be left alone while you live and then die... and very little else. If you are looking for anything more out of life, it's probably not the place for you. In North Dakota you can quite simply go through the motions of life without any pressure to do any more.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:35 AM

555 posts, read 1,654,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
What exactly is wrong with that? A stable job that allows you to be home every night - the horror! Not everyone wants to make six figures. Also, who works for 45 straight years? If you start when you're 21 (after college, military, etc.), that means you'll be 66 when you retire. I don't know of very many 66 year olds who still work, unless it's part-time to supplement Social Security.
Not everyone wants to make 6 figures? I'd say not everyone is willing to accept the sacrifices and consequences associated with making 6 figures but I'd guess just about everyone here would accept 6 figures for the job they're currently doing if it where offered to them.

Sorry, what are people retiring at, 62? So 41 years instead of 45? Good catch... I guess that ND education didn't help my subtraction skills My guess is 45 - 50 will be a more realistic number as social security continues to dry up. ND salaries don't leave a lot of room for funding 401(K)s.

And again, nothing is wrong with a stable "job"... but most people I know, don't go $40 - 60,000 in debt and spend 4 - 6 years in college to work a "job"... they're looking for a career.

Like I said, I don't hate ND... I simply understand it for what it is... and it seems so do you. I am not bashing those qualities, I'm simply identifying them without all the glitz other people are trying to falsely provide to them. The qualities ND does have weren't for me, maybe they are for others, it's for them to decide, but they should have the full story...

That, and I'm a bit of an agitator who likes to play Devil's Advocate. I once argued for the death penalty simply because of the 0% recidivism rate... described a fetus as a parasite... and almost sent coffee through my Professional Responsibility Professor's nose when I said prude's were not a protected class at the idea of women being offended by a Playboy magazine.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,172 times
I am 82 years young and lived in ND all my life. The people are friendly, helpful, congenial, and easy to get along with. It is a great place to raise a family and there are plenty of jobs for everyone wanting work. I can't think of another place in this world, where I would want to live!

Old 06-04-2010, 02:30 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,411,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreaOC View Post
I hate to be a party pooper for this poster. ND is over saturated with the Wal Mart Corp. Even little Bottineau, with a population of just over 2100, is getting a Wal Mart Supercenter. Bismarck has two, Fargo has one with a second always in the works, Grand Forks, Minot, Dickinson, Williston, Wahpeton, Jamestown, & Devils Lake. That is every large market in ND, including numerous small communities. You basically can't get to a shopping destination in ND without running into one.

Yes, the people are friendly, however the lack of privacy was too much. I used to say that I would find things out about myself from other people before I knew about it myself. The points, numbers 6 & 7, basically go together, since it's the gossip that takes your privacy away. Now I'm not hating on ND, I just had to throw my two cents in when I read her post
You know with Minnesota so close, I don't know why they don't have more Targets. I admit, Wal-Mart is very convenient for a lot of things. But I try to shop at Target as much as I can too, because it's a Minnesota company and seeing as my hometown is close to the Twin Cities, I feel good helping them out.

Old 06-04-2010, 02:41 AM

1,873 posts, read 4,411,370 times
Quote:
Correction, I don't hate ND... I just see it for what it is and don't want it to be misrepresented. I have a lot of family in North Dakota, Montana, and Minnesota... they'd never think of leaving. ND wasn't for me, at all... and I want to help ensure others get the full picture and maybe even educate a few North Dakotans that there's a great big world out there if they wouldn't be so afraid of leaving their backyard. Dream bigger!

As for your other suggestion, I do post quite frequently in the NJ forum... it's far more active than this one and obviously a bit more relevent to my day to day life.
I feel the same about Montana. I don't hate Montana but I hate the town I live in. I try to bring some realism to the Montana forum, because I really think many people are misguided about the state. (Really only about 1/3 of it is pretty, for one thing...)

Old 06-04-2010, 02:04 PM

325 posts, read 1,548,909 times
Quote:

As for your other suggestion, I do post quite frequently in the NJ forum... it's far more active than this one and obviously a bit more relevent to my day to day life.
I've read your posts on North Dakota for awhile now. You've given your unbiased (I'm sure) opinion. Certainly, we've all been enlightened. But what does perplex me, is why you want to keep posting in a non-relevant North Dakota Forum when New Jersey is in such deep doo-doo???? Myself, I hope governer Christie can straighten the state out.

Old 06-16-2010, 10:04 AM

375 posts, read 1,381,626 times
Why move to ND?

If you like the wide open spaces
If you like being alone
If you want to live off-grid
If you prefer living on 40 acres with no neighbors
If you don't mind living near an Indian Rez
If you don't mind paying an income tax or inheritance tax

Old 07-19-2010, 02:12 PM

1 posts, read 1,872 times
Im from california - met the man of my dreams and now i am moving there. Ironically i had been there a year before visiting my cousin in Minot, she is in the Air Force, and as much as i am continually told beware of the winters... that is all a state of mind.. There will be extremes in any state you go, its just a matter of what matters most to you. I have had the luxury of "bigger and better things" been when you get down to the nitty gritty, what matters most to me is a place where my future children can play outside and not be afraid, where they can learn about the simple things in life, appreciate hard work and know that what you put into things is what you get back, and also how to be friendly and kind to people, "treat those as you would want to be treated" and honestly that is what North Dakota has shown me so far. If I can find a man who still has morals, is true to his wife, honest, kind and a hard-worker, and is a product of North Dakota, then I am completely sold on North Dakota, and as for the winters, at least i can cuddle up with a good man, grab a warm blanket and get me some hot cider, then life will be just fine!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota