Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 07:38 PM

1,649 posts, read 5,003,349 times

Advertisements

WatsonWest, I'm with you! I was raised in York County by parents who were not from York County. No matter.....I've had grape pie. My mom used to get them from a couple of very elderly sisters who had a stand at one of the market houses. The pies were small, thick chewy crust, and very basic hand made. I imagine that's how most pies looked a hundred years ago. Uhm, not the ones we ate....you know what I mean.

I was back home last weekend. I'd forgotten how truly beautiful rural, southwestern, York County is. Of course we went to a farmer's market. Fried dough everywhere!!!

JungleGeorge, I don't know if this suggestion would help you or not. Rather than the dried noodles there is a frozen product called Anne's Dumplings. It is as good as hand rolled pot pie dough. I found this link to their products.

Anne's Food Products - Harvest Time Foods, inc. (http://www.annesdumplings.com/index.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2008, 08:00 PM

203 posts, read 577,451 times
Default Grape Pie

OK, here's the recipe I have for the grape pie.
I'm happy to share it.

3 cups concord grapes
1/2 - 3/4 cup sugar (this is really to your taste...I like mine tart)
3 Tablespoons flour (I actually use a little more by the Tspfull until I like it)
1 Tablespoon lemon juice
1 - 2 Tablespoons butter
2 pie crusts

stem, wash & drain grapes
slip the skins by squeezing, it's easier than you think & the kids LOVE to help
keep the skins
bring pulp to a boil (not hard boil) & cook for about 5-7 minutes
seive or run pulp through food mill immediately
put pulp into pan, add skins, juice, sugar, flour & bring to boil
immediately take off heat & add butter until mixed in
put in pie shell & top with other crust, pinch closed & cut vents in top

bake 425 for 10 minutes & reduce temp to 350 for 30 minutes
cool on rack & chill before eating to set up

I have enough for one pie & am making one tomorrow along with the chicken corn soup! If you're in West Scranton & smell it, stop on in for a taste.

Yummy!

Old 05-01-2008, 05:37 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,454,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockky View Post

JungleGeorge, I don't know if this suggestion would help you or not. Rather than the dried noodles there is a frozen product called Anne's Dumplings. It is as good as hand rolled pot pie dough. I found this link to their products.

Anne's Food Products - Harvest Time Foods, inc. (http://www.annesdumplings.com/index.html - broken link)
Rockky thanks for the tip!!!
I've seen what might be the equivalent (I guess chicken & "dumplins" is big here in the south) in the frozen section here & I never thought to use them for halushki!! I'll be picking some up today & test 'em out!!

WatsonWest thanks for the pie recipe!! I'll be trying it out when the concord grapes get here!!

I have a recipe of my grandmother's for cookies she only baked at Christmastime, & are loaded with butter & hazelnuts...I'll post it later on today when I can find it as I like them year round & I'm sure they'd be a favorite with all you folks!!

You'ld think by all the food I talk about I'd be 300 pounds!! Thank God for a good metabolism!!

Old 05-01-2008, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
I have a recipe of my grandmother's for cookies she only baked at Christmastime, & are loaded with butter & hazelnuts...
Here's my grandma's Christmas cookie recipes...she called this one "Pozitky Vanocni". (have no clue...)

1/2 cup butter
2 tbsp. granulated sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup sifted flour
1 cup finely chopped hazelnuts
Powdered sugar

Thoroughly mix butter, sugar & vanilla. Gradually stir in flour & hazelnuts. Chill dough. Shape into small balls, place on cookie sheet & "flatten" so they look like discs. Bake at 350 degrees for 15-17 minutes (keep an eye as they can burn easily). Cool & sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Here's another of her cookie recipes she called "Slunce Drobny"...(no clue here either...)

1/2 cup butter
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg yolk
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 cup flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1 cup hazelnuts-finely chopped
Raspberry jam
Powdered sugar

Cream butter, sugar, egg yolk & vanilla until light & fluffy. Add flour, hazelnuts & salt & mix well. Roll dough into 1 inch balls & place on cookie sheets.

Make a deep impression in the middle of each ball with a finger & fill each impression with rapberry jam. Bake in 350 degree oven 12-15 minutes (keep an eye on these also as they burn easy).

Remove from cookie sheet to cool & then sprinkle with powdered sugar.

Not just for breakfast anymore!!

Enjoy!!

Old 05-03-2008, 05:45 PM

I posted this on the pierogi thread & figured I'd post it here also since it's food related...my cousin's recipe for lekvar in case you wanted to make pierogis or kolaches...

LEKVAR (Prune Jam)

Makes 2 cups

1 pound pitted dried prunes
1 juice orange, thinly sliced, seeded
1 1/2 cups water
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1. Heat prunes, orange slices, and water in medium saucepan over medium heat to boiling. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until prunes are tender, about 20 minutes. Drain prunes and orange slices, reserving cooking liquid. Let fruit cool about 10 minutes.

2. Place prunes, orange slices, sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, and cinnamon in food processor. Process until mixture is a smooth, thick puree, about 2 minutes. Add reserved cooking liquid as necessary to achieve proper consistency. Transfer to tightly covered jar when cool. Store, refrigerated, up to one year.

Old 05-04-2008, 12:13 AM

128 posts, read 356,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Great thread idea! Here is a list of the recipes I have available in my own repertroire. Please feel free to respond if you'd like one of them expressed in greater detail, and I'd be happy to assist!
  • Burnt Pop-Tart a la Smoking Toaster
  • Semi-Hard Ramen Noodles Smothered in Sodium-Laden Pittston Tap Water
  • Fresh Garden Salad Featuring Brown-Edged Lettuce and Greening Carrots
  • Taste Bud-Searing Hot Pockets
  • Dark Black Crusted Grilled Cheese Sandwiches Featuring Half-Melted Cheese
  • Soggy Triscuit and Moldy Cheese Party Platter
Bon appetit!
Wow I'm surprised you didn't list Mrs. T's pierogies

Old 05-04-2008, 03:56 AM

106,679 posts, read 108,856,202 times
you left out my 2 favorites

CHEF BOYAR DEE AND PASTA WITH KETCHUP

Old 05-04-2008, 11:24 AM

910 posts, read 2,993,178 times
Oh mathjak I'm with you! I like pizza bites too lol.
I posted on the recipe thread a while back but these days I'm doing more baking than cooking. Cupcakes are my specialty and I'm even starting to get orders for them! Maybe I should send SW some that he can have as meal replacements

Old 05-05-2008, 05:23 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,954,370 times
Hubby’s favorite: Bisquick Strawberry short cakes:

Clean, cut and soak berries in sugar in refrigerator for at least 45 minutes…a natural syrup will be created.

Make the biscuits per box directions & add a small hand full of sugar to sweeten

Slice biscuits when cool…fill with strawberries, favorite whipped topping, top with a sliced strawberry and serve!

My mil made this for him everytime he came home on leave...he said it always "tasted like a bit of home".!

Old 05-05-2008, 05:57 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,805,176 times
I am irish and believe it or not Corned beef and cabbage is NOT an irish dish. Not at all.

Boiled bacon, cabbage and potatoes is the traditional dish at home.

dorothy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania