Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2009, 08:55 PM

182 posts, read 540,944 times

Advertisements

^ So true. I see it all the time on 66 and 28 too! If someone hogged the left lane like that on Long Island they'd get run off the road in about 10 seconds!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 08:58 PM

509 posts, read 975,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
To be quite honest threads like these are also very much of value to people considering moving into the area. While most people like to sugar-coat the quality-of-life here, luring potential newcomers and lurkers into a false sense of Utopia, every once-in-a-while a thread like this where several people disillusioned by paying so much to live in relatively characterless suburbs can help to provide more negative aspects of the region as "food for thought."

I only wish there had been more of these "I hate NoVA" threads and less "NoVA is amazing" threads when I was moving here so I, too, wouldn't have come here thinking that one of the nation's highest cost-of-living factors was justified by a superior quality-of-life to the rest of the country. All metropolitan areas have trees. All metropolitan areas have jobs (at least the ones that actually pay enough so single people can afford a 1-BR place at ONE full-time job without shivering in the cold). All metropolitan areas have culture, nightlife, sports, etc. All metropolitan areas have diversity (to some extent). People still haven't convinced me what the "edge" is about Northern Virginia (besides jobs with higher salaries that are devoured by a higher cost-of-living ratio) that justifies its high price tag. I can have (almost) everything in Pittsburgh that NoVA has for a fraction of the price. I'm going to feel badly in the end to know I wasted a year of my life here, but at least I learned my lesson about moving to a new area just for the sake of it being "different."
Yet you've said before several times at least that this was the only job you were offered in this understandably very difficult economy - so would that have actually dissuaded you from moving here? What would have been your alternative? So when you say you "wasted a year here" - you didn't really - unless being unemployed would have been better - based on what you've said before that you were glad to have a job offer when many of your peers didn't.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:35 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,685,694 times
I don't get it -- if it's possible for people to go 55 at that time than why is the commute so terrible? Sounds like it's moving along just fine. Also, for your own sake, Scran-Barre, it's really not a good idea to keep complaining about your job on a public message board that includes everything about you except your last name (including your picture and where you work).

Old 10-30-2009, 04:11 AM

139 posts, read 293,125 times
Seriously get out while you can. If you are not into politics are in a career that demands that you be near the federal government, there are cheaper places. As you know, it's very very expensive here, and if there's no reason to stay, get set up with friends, etc. somewhere else. Since you're just starting out, you should try some of the places that you mentioned.

As an aside, the part of town that you live in makes a difference. You must be near DC. Actually, other than asking, "where to you work?" as the first words out of their mouths, folks in that area are the most fun. Move farther out, and people stare at their shoes when you see them.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:33 AM

257 posts, read 566,046 times
Quote:
I can't tell you how many times I've been forced to tailgate people just dawdling along
Actually, nobody forces you to tailgate. And if you ever tail gate my arse, the first thing I do is hit the brakes -- forces you to go around me.

I think tailgating is dangerous -- especially in rush hour traffic, if I have to hit the brakes suddenly, I'm going to get rear-ended.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:34 AM

257 posts, read 566,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngadude View Post
Yet you've said before several times at least that this was the only job you were offered in this understandably very difficult economy - so would that have actually dissuaded you from moving here? What would have been your alternative? So when you say you "wasted a year here" - you didn't really - unless being unemployed would have been better - based on what you've said before that you were glad to have a job offer when many of your peers didn't.
Um.. I thought he said he had two offers, and therefore he had "choices." But what gets me is that he moved here expecting not to like it. Funny what ended up happening.

Old 10-30-2009, 08:41 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,719,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous703 View Post
Actually, nobody forces you to tailgate. And if you ever tail gate my arse, the first thing I do is hit the brakes -- forces you to go around me.
I do that too. First off, because it annoys the h3ll out of me and I don't want to give them the satisfaction of making me speed. A few times I've also tapped the brakes, just to be annoying, along with other methods. That was actually pretty effective in getting him to back off, but you run the risk of getting hit. Secondly, because of the safety issue. I'll slow down and give myself more room in front so I don't have to brake as suddenly if something happens.

End of story: don't tailgate. You just might get me in front of you, who will delight in aggravating you further.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:24 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,956,931 times
I do the same thing to tailgaters. Let them learn that tail gating won't get them anywhere. Sorry, but I refuse to be pushed around, no matter how aggressive other drivers get. I don't let them drive me into a rage, I just ignore them.

IMO, the smartest drivers are the ones from the west coast. They tend to be mellower and to go with the flow. They see driving as a time to listen to cd's and look at the passing scenery. If they're late for work, they shrug and say "c'est la vie."

I like that relaxed attitude. IMO it's healthier to be a little bit late than to go into a rage because you can't bear the way other people drive. Get over it, having a variety of driving styles is part of living in a diverse area.

This is also one of the reasons I can drive long commutes here. A lot of the people who get aggressive in traffic wear themselves out and end up stressed out by a simple drive to Tyson's Corner. Traffic doesn't wear me out or drive me into a rage because I refuse to let it bother me.

I find it funny that some people think aggressive drivers are the smartest drivers on the road, but we all have different opinions. Most aggressive drivers don't seem that smart to me. They don't get to their destinations any faster and they give themselves ulcers.

Old 10-30-2009, 09:47 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,094,389 times
Default Left lane morons, turns, and lanes . . .

Quote:
Speaking of terrible Virginian drivers, what is up with people on narrow Route 7 between Reston and McLean habitually driving more slowly in the left-hand lane (passing lane) than the right-hand lane?
THIS is another pet peeve I have --people driving casually on the left lane when it is supposed to be a passing lane. Happens all the time and some of these drivers are so oblivious to what's happening.

Another problem on that Lewinsville turn intersection (aside from the slow pokes who, if they moved faster, could allow 3-4 more cars through the light!) is how short the turn lane is. People making a turn cannot fit on the turn left, end up occupying the left lane of Rte 7 and forcing everyone to merge onto the right lane. Just too much chaos. I have seen this happen in other parts of Rte 7, Fairfax County Parkway and elsewhere.

In NJ, there are jug handles--you know, just like a jug/pitcher designed at an intersection so cars can turn. Also handles a large amount of cars, like 20+ who want to make a turn. An ingenious device: I think the idea came from the military.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:00 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous703 View Post

I think tailgating is dangerous -- especially in rush hour traffic, if I have to hit the brakes suddenly, I'm going to get rear-ended.
So what is YOUR solution when a McLean business executive on his cell phone in a Suburban gets right up on YOUR rear-end because the dawdler in the passing lane in front of you won't move over? Should I slam on the brakes so he hits me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia