Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2009, 10:01 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,640,448 times

Advertisements

So to all of those who are portraying me as the bad guy (surprise, surprise), why on Earth are you excusing the drivers here who crawl in the passing lane? The roads are narrow enough as it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous703 View Post
Um.. I thought he said he had two offers, and therefore he had "choices." But what gets me is that he moved here expecting not to like it. Funny what ended up happening.
You know, I'm RIGHT HERE! Yes, I had two job offers. I told myself if I didn't relocate at this stage in my life I'd likely never leave Scranton. In hindsight I probably shouldn't have if I knew my life would revolve around sitting in traffic, looking at bland McMansions, sitting in traffic, enduring horrible maintenance issues with my complex, sitting in traffic, deciding whether to get Papa John's (bleh) or Domino's (bleh) for dinner, sitting in traffic, paying 60% of my net income on housing where I've had as many service calls put in as months I've been living here, etc., etc. I'm moving, and I'll be damn happy to get out!

Old 10-30-2009, 10:31 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,506,760 times
You can get real NY pizza at the pizza parlor in Fair Lakes Shopping Center near Walmart and Bloom stores

Old 10-30-2009, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
You can get real NY pizza at the pizza parlor in Fair Lakes Shopping Center near Walmart and Bloom stores
Yes! Thanks for the tip!

Old 10-30-2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeesfan View Post
I don't get it -- if it's possible for people to go 55 at that time than why is the commute so terrible? Sounds like it's moving along just fine. Also, for your own sake, Scran-Barre, it's really not a good idea to keep complaining about your job on a public message board that includes everything about you except your last name (including your picture and where you work).
My commute home is often a relative breeze, but my commute TO work can be very lengthy. If I leave after 6:30 AM traffic is pretty much bumper-to-bumper from McLean right on past 606 along 7. When I leave earlier, my commute time shortens. However, I firmly believe sleeping less to make my commute easier has been leading me to become sick so often. I've been sick more times in the six months I've been here than in the past three years combined in PA. I wish there was an alternative to 7 (and don't say "the toll road" because we don't all have deep pockets to pay $2.50/day for the tolls).

Old 10-30-2009, 11:20 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,953,982 times
>>>THIS is another pet peeve I have --people driving casually on the left lane when it is supposed to be a passing lane. Happens all the time and some of these drivers are so oblivious to what's happening.<<< Where's that rule? Can you imagine how crowded the other lanes would be if one the lanes had to be reserved for passing only? I know that back in the day, and in some parts of Europe, the left lane is a passing lane, but in Virginia there is no rule against driving in the left lane. Thank goodness.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:22 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,953,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
So what is YOUR solution when a McLean business executive on his cell phone in a Suburban gets right up on YOUR rear-end because the dawdler in the passing lane in front of you won't move over? Should I slam on the brakes so he hits me?
So you speed as fast as necessary, and tailgate, because you imagine another driver wants you too?

Old 10-30-2009, 11:50 PM

323 posts, read 508,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
>>>Can you imagine how crowded the other lanes would be if one the lanes had to be reserved for passing only? I know that back in the day, and in some parts of Europe, the left lane is a passing lane, but in Virginia there is no rule against driving in the left lane. Thank goodness.
46.2-842.1

Quote:
46.2-842.1. Drivers to give way to certain overtaking vehicles on divided highways.

It shall be unlawful to fail to give way to overtaking traffic when driving a motor vehicle to the left and abreast of another motor vehicle on a divided highway. On audible or light signal, the driver of the overtaken vehicle shall move to the right to allow the overtaking vehicle to pass as soon as the overtaken vehicle can safely do so. A violation of this section shall not be construed as negligence per se in any civil action.
Fredericksburg.com - The law's clear: You must let drivers pass

Quote:
Sgt. F.L. Tyler, a public information officer with the state police office in Culpeper, said the following section of state code applies to left-lane hangers:

"It shall be unlawful to fail to give way to overtaking traffic when driving a motor vehicle to the left and abreast of another motor vehicle on a divided highway."

It continues: "On audible or light signal, the driver of the overtaken vehicle shall move to the right to allow the overtaking vehicle to pass as soon as the overtaken vehicle can safely do so."

In other words, said Tyler, if you're in the left lane of a divided highway and going down the road, even with a vehicle to your right, the law requires that you give way and let a vehicle behind you pass.
Specifically, he said, if you're in that situation and a vehicle behind you signals its intention to pass, by either honking a horn or flashing its lights, you are required to move to the right as soon as it's safe, and allow the signaling vehicle to pass. Failure to do so is a violation of the law, he said.

Tyler said that applies even if the vehicle trying to pass is speeding, following too closely or operating in any other reckless manner.
"Leave it up to police officers to deal with any violations they might be committing. We'll handle that," he said. "But the law still requires you to move to the right and let them pass."

Old 10-31-2009, 05:42 AM

509 posts, read 975,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
You know, I'm RIGHT HERE! Yes, I had two job offers. I told myself if I didn't relocate at this stage in my life I'd likely never leave Scranton. In hindsight I probably shouldn't have if I knew my life would revolve around sitting in traffic, looking at bland McMansions, sitting in traffic, enduring horrible maintenance issues with my complex, sitting in traffic, deciding whether to get Papa John's (bleh) or Domino's (bleh) for dinner, sitting in traffic, paying 60% of my net income on housing where I've had as many service calls put in as months I've been living here, etc., etc. I'm moving, and I'll be damn happy to get out!
So, you learned something - then it wasn't a waste as you claim. You now know where you don't want to live in the future.

Life isn't all loliipops and roses to borrow one of your expressions, and you should view this as a learning experience rather than claiming you wasted a year here. And, it still will be interesting to see if you really do move away as your plans seem to keep changing weekly based on your posts on here.

Old 10-31-2009, 05:45 AM

2,765 posts, read 8,331,422 times
I came here because family was already down here. In addition, it was a big culture shock for me as well. I used to be the type to reach for the highest salaried positions but those were always more of a commute and further away from home. After much thought I had taken a position that pays $20k less, less stress and about is 10 minutes from home; my old commute was 2.5 hours each way. The end result is I am happier, less stressed, and not missing that extra $20k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia