Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 08:46 PM

14 posts, read 59,776 times

Advertisements

So where are the jobs in the Cleveland area? Ohio? I did what I was told to do, which was to get a college degree in engineering. Now, after all that hard work and studying, I am armed with a cool, proud, high-tech piece of paper which states that I am a Bachelor of Electrical Engineer. These same people tell me I do not have any job experience and will not hire me. What gives? Why scam me like that?

To all the people that have moved out of Ohio, please help me. No, I am begging you. I need a job, and I will move and work for less pay. Just give me a chance. You can email me at yahoo with the same username I use here. Thank you very much for the consideration. Cleveland and Ohio does not want me. And it is not because I am no good or trash. There is absolutely nothing wrong with me. The ideologies here are misguided and based on false concepts.

Now on to this Medical Mart thing. What gives with the Cuyahoga County officials? A couple of days ago I heard on the radio that Cuyahoga County officials will not budge at all on where the physical location should be for the proposed Medical Mart. They insist, no ifs, ands, or buts, that if Medical Mart is to build here, it will be in downtown Cleveland. So now, Medical Mart is considering other cities.

This seems like another classic example of adults in responsible positions playing and fighting like little children out back in the sand box. Go ahead, draw that line in the sand. You better not cross, I dare ya!

So I won't mind moving, providing I get a job offer. If people outside of Ohio are willing to give me a chance, I'm willing to bet that they do not act childish like the people around here do that have cast cold shoulders upon me.

I can start practically immediately because I will have to find a place to live. But other than that, go for it. Again, you can email me about entry level (or slightly experienced Electrical Engineer positions) at yahoo with the same username I use here. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2007, 06:13 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,998,516 times
[quote=ClevelandBill;1364014]

Especially when the Global Warming floods Manhattan and a few other low-lying places. [quote]

If temps continue to rise Ohio will become very popular indeed. The whole southern tier of the US will be way too hot and/or humid. Widespread tropical disease outbreaks. Then they'll all be coming north to places like OH. Not to mention the projections of severe drought across the western half of the country. Ohio won't have to worry, with the great lakes at its doorstep, although I can guarantee that states experiencing drought will want your water! Matter of fact there is already talk about diverting great lakes water to the thirsty west. Guess the Colo River wasn't enough...

Old 11-19-2007, 01:43 PM

1,197 posts, read 3,582,995 times
[quote=Tim Rankin;2033530][quote=ClevelandBill;1364014]

Especially when the Global Warming floods Manhattan and a few other low-lying places.
Quote:

If temps continue to rise Ohio will become very popular indeed. The whole southern tier of the US will be way too hot and/or humid. Widespread tropical disease outbreaks. Then they'll all be coming north to places like OH. Not to mention the projections of severe drought across the western half of the country. Ohio won't have to worry, with the great lakes at its doorstep, although I can guarantee that states experiencing drought will want your water! Matter of fact there is already talk about diverting great lakes water to the thirsty west. Guess the Colo River wasn't enough...
Now, if y'all can just take care of that pesky rust problem that plauges all the vehicles..

Old 11-24-2007, 01:01 AM

10 posts, read 83,361 times
I wouldn't moan about Ohio, weather and taxes too much. I live in England, (originally from PA). Our property taxes for the house we live in is £100 a month with the exchange rate the way it is equals about $200 a month. No we don't live in a mansion we live in a mid-terrace, two up two down and front and back yards the size of postage stamps. Not only do property owners have to pay these taxes but if you rent you have to pay them as well. They raise them on a yearly basis with no end in site. They've come up with a new idea on how to get more money out of us, they are going to come around and if you have a nice home, i.e. newer kitchen bathroom, conservatory, decking, etc they will raise the amount of tax you pay. If my neighbour never bothered to update his kitchen or bathroom, take care of his back and front yards and his property looks like the local dump, he'll pay less taxes. So basically they are punishing your for making your neighbourhood nice. No you don't get to take any home improvements off your taxes. Sales tax here is 17.5%. Summer consists of two weeks out of the year. I live in the Southwest of England so we don't get snow but it rains all the time. Yes our grass is lovely green all year round, however, just because it's winter time doesn't mean it doesn't grow...have you ever tried to mow grass in the p1ssing rain?? The native people on the other hand, on the whole, are great. When I moved here 7 years ago I was a bit apprehensive about how I would be received by the locals. They welcomed me with open arms and felt at home here straight away. There was less culture shock moving here than there was when I moved to Texas for five years...after hearing Yankee go home for five years I finally took their advice and moved back up north. At first I thought it was an insult but then realised they were giving me good sound advice...LOL

But believe it or not, I'm not leaving because of the increadibly high taxes or the weather that's only fit for a duck...those things I can live with but it's the Labour government who's opened the doors to this tiny island to everyone and their brother, myself included, and the over crowding is starting to take it's toll. Not to mention people coming to this country with their own religious belief (which is fine) but then they want the entire nation, which was founded on Christianity, to change to suit their beliefs. Personally I'm not a religious person, but I believe that "when in Rome you should do as the Romans"

Old 11-28-2007, 12:05 PM

3 posts, read 25,464 times
Default Ohio is looking like Paradise

Compared to Michigan.
I'm planning on moving to Ohio, my kids got better scholarships and actually cost less to go to Ohio than their own instate colleges.
They are not alone many of Michigans top students have left Michigan, brain drain. Thanks to the govenor, shifting scholarships for top students to giving less to all, and we know most of them are only going to go 1-2 years.

Buckeyes are better than Wolverines.

Housing and Taxes are way less than Michigan.

Our Governor can't keep lights on without taxing us again and again.
Granholm.
Kawamee.

Our public schools suck also. But are millage taxes are even higher.
Our politicians are crooks also. Whats new.

Number 1 in......

Foreclosures
Murders
The Nations Most Dangerous City.

The only bright spot, Grand Rapids area. Michigan West Coast.
Hmmm, the guy running for governor against Granholm, was
a leader in Grand Rapids. Bad news he runs Amway.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:50 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,863,030 times
Default Perspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numbersman View Post
Compared to Michigan.
I'm planning on moving to Ohio, my kids got better scholarships and actually cost less to go to Ohio than their own instate colleges.
They are not alone many of Michigans top students have left Michigan, brain drain. Thanks to the govenor, shifting scholarships for top students to giving less to all, and we know most of them are only going to go 1-2 years.

Buckeyes are better than Wolverines.

Housing and Taxes are way less than Michigan.

Our Governor can't keep lights on without taxing us again and again.
Granholm.
Kawamee.

Our public schools suck also. But are millage taxes are even higher.
Our politicians are crooks also. Whats new.

Number 1 in......

Foreclosures
Murders
The Nations Most Dangerous City.

The only bright spot, Grand Rapids area. Michigan West Coast.
Hmmm, the guy running for governor against Granholm, was
a leader in Grand Rapids. Bad news he runs Amway.
Wow, your post is proof that some things really do depend on one's perspective!

I've never had much of a good impression of Michigan, and most of my experience there has been in SE Mich (i.e. metro Detroit—yuck!) So of course, living there has never been a particular desire of mine, either.

On the other hand, I look at states like Missouri, Kentucky and Tennessee—hardly Sun Belt places at all—and from an Ohio perspective, they look downright wonderful! More freedom, lower taxes, less restrictive bureaucracy, less crime, etc.

Guess the grass really is greener... (or bluer, in Kentucky's case)

Old 11-30-2007, 07:53 AM

30 posts, read 93,613 times
sorry, im a little late on the posting lol

personally, i hated ohio. i grew up in dayton my whole life and lived in cincinnati for a little over a year. so we moved to carbondale, IL to go to school down here. Small town, very environmentally conscious etc... but we HATE it. like several people have mentioned, here, just like in ohio, there are racist people, stupid idiots and horrible drivers. and honestly, i thought the grass would be greener out here and were moving back in july. no matter what it will always be my home state and i will always love it there.

i think people are too quick to jump to the things that are bad instead of looking at things that are good.

schools - my school was excellent. as well as surrounding schools. the classes i took my fresh and soph year of college, i had already gotten at my high school.

pollution - everywhere has pollution. hence the whole global climate change thing. if you want no pollution go to a different planet because it surrounds us everywhere on earth.

the nations most dangerous city is compton, NJ not in michigan. and im gonna guess that with places like NYC, and compton, michigan is not the top in murders either. cincinnati alone had almost 200 murders in 2006. and thats one city. it like that in dayton and cleveland also. crime is all over in columbus, toledo and akron as well. but you know what, i still love my state.

missouri isnt that great. were about 1 hour from cape girardeau and its just like any other state. and yes ohio has a lot of taxes but look at what you get out of it. if your schools suck go somewhere else. dont lump the other 87 counties in with yours because its just not true. butler county has tremendous schools. over half of montgomery schools are awesome. warren county schools are also great.

down here i see guys in their camo trucks with dead deer in the back showing them off to people driving down the road. that is disgusting to me. i never saw that in ohio. NO ONE HERE KNOWS WHAT A RIGHT OF WAY IS! i swear on my life, they dont. they also dont know how to use a turn signal at all or what a red light or stop sign means.

move somewhere else and then discover how good ohio actually is.

and politicians are crooks everywhere. thats kind of in the job description now a days.

Old 11-30-2007, 08:43 AM

1,408 posts, read 4,863,030 times
Carbondale...isn't that southern Illinois, kindof down near the "Little Egypt" portion of the state? I've driven thru there before, en route to Cape Girardeau. It's really pretty. Southern IL is forested, hilly, and refreshingly different from the rest of the state. On a farm, you can even grow rice there!

Speaking of Cape, it's a great little town! I have relatives there. Very down-home and friendly, and it's historic. I've always enjoyed hangin' out there. Anyplace that produced Rush Limbaugh can't be too bad

Rest assured, I'm not trying to bash Ohio. (I sure as heck would never start such a thread.) Just pointing out that all in all, it stacks up toward the middle-to-very good. While there are places with attributes I like much better, I know there are places much worse

Old 12-03-2007, 09:02 PM

1,992 posts, read 4,147,347 times
My wife and I lived in Ohio 12 years and loved the people and enjoyed the entertainment opportunites. We left for only one reason--the three most dreaded words in the English language, "Lake effect snow." (Yes, we lived in Northeast Ohio--and worked in the Akron-Cleveland area.)

Old 12-09-2007, 08:30 AM

7,081 posts, read 8,947,145 times
Lebanon isn't that bad, but Eastport Maine is a heaven on earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio