Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 02:58 PM

23 posts, read 49,814 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I have wanted to move to Oklahoma for years now and I believe we are going to actually make it happen. I have a beautiful wife, two 4-year old twin boys and yet another set of twins on the way. We live in Wakefield, NH and have a beautiful home, great neighbors and great area. We have no sales or income tax and I am an internet worker so I can move anywhere I would like.

I did some financial reasoning in making the move and with the cost of living being so low in Oklahoma we would save $1113.00 per month!

We are sick of the cold and the short summers up here and I feel it's rather unhealthy for the kids to be trapped inside most of the winter months.

Leaving does seem to be a depressing thought for some reason. Maybe it's the excitement of moose walking in your yard, or those three feet blizzards that makes you truly appreciate your nice home.

Anyway, I have spent summers in Choctaw, Ok visiting my Dad so I have a good idea what it would be like living there year round.

I would love to hear what someone else thinks of such a move and the good and bad points of each. Thank you so much for your time and I can't wait to hear what everyone has to say.....

Thank you,
Mitch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 03:11 PM

279 posts, read 1,014,286 times
What areas have do you have in mind?

Old 12-12-2008, 03:40 PM

Well, we have that nailed down pretty good, Choctaw, Jones, Harrah area.

Old 12-13-2008, 05:53 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,925,657 times
If you are okay with the hot summers and your income won't be affected by the move, and to boot you'll get that big increase in savings, I'd say that it's good.

The Good:
Nice people
Slow pace of life (but I'm sure you have that in NH as well)
Neighbors helping neighbors
The OU Sooners!
Close proximity to OkC where there is a lot to do

The Bad:
Hot summers
Severe weather in the Spring
Ice storms
Taxes on food
Not so good roads

Last edited by Synopsis; 12-13-2008 at 07:48 AM..

Old 12-13-2008, 06:36 AM

Thank you for the reply. The last time I lived in Oklahoma, Barry Switzer was the coach and J.C. Watts was the quarterback. I do believe that was some time ago.

We just received an ice storm here in NH that rivals the one Oklahoma got last year. We have over 400K out of power for the second day now.

So I guess I should sell my snow blower huh???

Old 12-13-2008, 07:26 AM

3,238 posts, read 8,790,523 times
Hi Mitch567, welcome to the forum.

There was a man on here a while back who also wanted to move from New Hampshire to Oklahoma. He did make the move, but hasn't posted here in a while. You may want to go to this thread:

Is OK okay for us?

That was the thead he started, and you may get a lot of good info from there.

Good luck!

Old 12-13-2008, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitch567 View Post
Thank you for the reply. The last time I lived in Oklahoma, Barry Switzer was the coach and J.C. Watts was the quarterback. I do believe that was some time ago.

We just received an ice storm here in NH that rivals the one Oklahoma got last year. We have over 400K out of power for the second day now.

So I guess I should sell my snow blower huh???
Yes, definitely. It would be useless in Oklahoma except for maybe the far Northwestern part of Oklahoma in the panhandle. Even then you'd only use is sparingly, if at all.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:19 AM

119 posts, read 369,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
If you are okay with the hot summers and your income won't be affected by the move, and to boot you'll get that big increase in savings, I'd say that it's good.

The Good:
Nice people
Slow pace of life (but I'm sure you have that in NH as well)
Neighbors helping neighbors
The OU Sooners!
Close proximity to OkC where there is a lot to do

The Bad:
Hot summers
Severe weather in the Spring
Ice storms
Taxes on food
Not so good roads

I've heard a lot of negative comments about road conditions in OK. Can they be any worse than our potholes in the NorthEast due to our frost-heaves in winter? I understand any unpaved roads having some washouts, but how bad are the paved highways and secondary roads? Is the problem just a lack of maintaining them?

Old 12-13-2008, 11:30 AM

They may be about the same. Not ALL of the roads are bad; there are some quite nice ones. The roads in the area that you are looking at may be just fine. I wouldn't let it worry me too much.

Last edited by Synopsis; 12-13-2008 at 02:31 PM..

Old 12-13-2008, 01:49 PM

Thank you so much for your input Synopsis, Fairfielder and Colleen. Colleen, I did read that entire thread and it was very informative. Synopsis, the list you provided is very compelling and thank you.

As for the roads, I can't imagine that any roads would be worse than those in the northeast. The potholes here will potentially bounce you off the road if you're not careful.

We have decided to make the move in September. I was born in Fort Hood, baptized in Midwest City and then moved to Philadelphia when I was six. Then after my stint in the USMC moved to New Hampshire for the last 20 years.

My wife is a military brat and from all over. What would be some of the "Selling" points I can pitch to her in order to make her feel more comfortable?

God bless her she would move anywhere with me. Of course I knew Oklahoma would be a good move but I needed some positive reinforcement and started this post. I was always proud to say I was from Texas and Oklahoma and it will be really nice going back to my roots!

We are homeschoolers also so it was nice to hear that Oklahoma is a nice homeschooling state.

A few last questions, what is the income tax in Oklahoma?? When you purchase a car to you have to pay sales tax on the entire amount? Does anyone know if there is a self-employment tax?

Thank you again, any and all comments are deeply appreciated.

Mitch
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma