Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 07:59 AM

3,724 posts, read 9,328,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Amen, Bass. And to be fair, I am more than aware of what other states have to offer with near perfect weather all year long and lots of cool places to go and see. And you know what, some people will start a thread and start listing all the things wrong there, while some people who grew up there already know those points and yet are still happy!

There is a guy on the Denver forum named DenverAztec who takes pics of metro Denver. And man, he even makes Aurora look good! LOL.

The point is, if you scroll through CDF and have been on here for any amount of time, you soon realize there are some people who are simply unhappy and they are going to try and spread their unhappiness as much as possible.

Some of the most ridiculous threads start out with a title like: "DON'T MOVE TO ...<fill in the blank>!!" And the funny part is some people are literally miserable unless they are complaining about something.

I mean honestly, it is very windy here, but that doesn't make me hate it here nor does it make me want to post to others that they should not move to Oklahoma. ROFL. My god, it is WIND! A natural occurrence! And it happens all over the world! Get over it or get back in the house!
Oh, yeah. And if the wind didn't blow, he'd have a lot more to complain about - a lot more bugs! I'd love to be able to drive anywhere again myself, and believe me, it wouldn't make any difference whatsoever if there were potholes in the road or not.

I've lived in a lot of other places, some of them I wouldn't worry about walking down a dark road alone at 3 AM [well, except for the bears], others - let's just say I wouldn't take a walk in the middle of the afternoon without a kevlar vest. One of the neighborhoods I grew up in is now overrun with drug dealers and drive by shootings are fairly common -and one of the nearby police departments has a room full of alley sweepers, uzis, and a lot more miscellaneous firearms they've confiscated there. All the places I lived in had their good and bad points, but with one exception, I liked all of them and enjoyed the experiences. The day I quit finding pleasure in where I am and feel I have nothing more to do is the day someone will have to bury me.

Old 04-25-2009, 04:15 PM

28 posts, read 47,328 times
Default Oklahoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Catfish2008 View Post
>>>>>
considering you can't really refute any of them because they all describe this state fairly well.
<<<<<

No, you imply your superiority with the tone of your post. It is not necessary for me to "refute" anything you say since your condescending diatribe says volumes.

To me the fat chick/megachurch comment was just over the top and mean-spirited. Considering that Oklahoma is tied for most Miss America titles (List of Miss America winners by state - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) your fat chick comment is an overstatement. As for the megachurch comment, you're in the Buckle of the Bible Belt, LOL. What did you expect? Should all us Christians just get out of the way and let you transplants dictate our religious lives? You did come to our state, you know, not the other way around.

You're right, I do think OK is a great place and it upsets me when transplants like yourself gripe/complain/and whine because it's not how you want it. If you would have said, "Here are some cons to consider about Oklahoma..." I can promise you my retort would have been much different. You didn't do this, but come across as very smug IMO. If you don't like being in OK that is absolutely fine. Quit whining about it and get out....us Okies are fine with people not agreeing with us, but we don't handle negative/complaining people too well.

And I'm assuming that anyone coming to Oklahoma can form their own opinion of it without your overly negative rants. Best of luck to you when you finally head West on I-40.

Not quite over the top actually:
Oklahoma City, second fattest in U.S.

and again

Now, that's probably not 100% accurate of course. But it is evident once you go out to any public place that there are fattys galore.

Yes, I know, everyone is Christian here. I have no problem with that at all.

Let me respond to all of you by saying: I am very happy to live in the U.S., even if it has to be Oklahoma(I'm stationed here=not my choice to live here). I don't know where the notion came up that I am ungrateful and take the constitution for granted. I enlisted in the Air Force because I love this country. I just want to know why residents of Oklahoma think this particular state-NOT this country is so great. For example: what makes Oklahoma a better place to live than say...Kansas or Texas or New York or (insert state here)?

As for bringing up adversity and hardships...You forgot the crusades, jihads, African tribal wars, World wars, the American revolution, Greek-Persian Wars, all of pre-recorded history, the Punic wars, Roman conquest of Macedon and Greece, Roman Campaingns in Gaul, the diaspora, the French revolution, the Franco-Prussian war...I think you get the point. All of us are blessed to live in modern times and none of us has lived through any of those. Bringing these topics up is totally irelevant.

Alas, even if I was a little ungrateful ***** with no knowelge of any hardships past or present, that dosen't prove that Oklahoma dosen't suck. Let's just stick to the topic at hand, which is: Why Oklahoma is a desirable place, Instead of saying how ungraetful I am or how skewed my perception is. I'm sure there are good things about Oklahoma too, I just haven't seen too many of them.

P.S. I am from San Diego, feel free to bash on San Diego if you've actually lived there for a decent amount of time.

P.S.S. NO DISPRESPECT to any OKIES, most of you are actually hard working honest people.

-TWC

Old 04-25-2009, 04:38 PM

330 posts, read 970,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
between football and cheerleaders, what else is worth while?

Old 04-25-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWC760 View Post

For example: what makes Oklahoma a better place to live than say...Kansas or Texas or New York or (insert state here)?
---------
Let's just stick to the topic at hand, which is: Why Oklahoma is a desirable place, Instead of saying how ungraetful I am or how skewed my perception is. I'm sure there are good things about Oklahoma too, I just haven't seen too many of them.

-TWC
How about blue skies that are actually blue? Thirty years ago I drove across the country to western NY, and all the 'clear' days east of the Mississippi River had skies that were sort of nickel-colored. The sun wasn't a nice bright yellow, it was a bright metallic color.

I'll let others take on the rest of it.

Old 04-25-2009, 05:11 PM

28 posts, read 47,328 times
Default Yeast coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
How about blue skies that are actually blue? Thirty years ago I drove across the country to western NY, and all the 'clear' days east of the Mississippi River had skies that were sort of nickel-colored. The sun wasn't a nice bright yellow, it was a bright metallic color.

I'll let others take on the rest of it.
Ok...so you're saying that any sunshine east of the Mississippi is not authentic sunshine. I wonder what East coast residents have to say about that...

Old 04-25-2009, 06:45 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,933,722 times
I think San Diego is a fantastic place, with some of the best scenery and weather in the U.S. Regardless of how much you dislike Oklahoma TWC, I'm not going to retaliate by bashing San Diego. I've been there, and I love it. It's a beautiful city with a lot of culture and great things to do (ocean, mountains, etc.).

However, OkC has plenty going for it as well. You should get out and experience the city friend.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Ok...so you're saying that any sunshine east of the Mississippi is not authentic sunshine. I wonder what East coast residents have to say about that...
No, I'm saying that the 'blue skies' we saw weren't blue, and the sun was a bright spot in the haze. And there was a definite smoggy smell - although that might have been a result of living on a remote island in Alaska, where the only smells were spruce forest and sea weed at low tide - nothing remotely industrial, other than the diesel fumes from the boat harbor, and it was windy enough all the time that the diesel exhaust blew away pretty fast.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:21 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,456,952 times
TWC, thank you for serving our country.

Since you're from San Diego, I imagine OK is extremely different and there's nothing wrong with not liking it. Someone from San Diego probably wouldn't like it where I live either and that's ok, too. But since you have no choice of where you are right now, that doesn't help you see the positive side of anything. Trust me~stick me in Siberia and I'll hate life, too.

Just wanted to mention that I don't think Okies are braggy or think their state is superior. If you read on one or two other state forums, you'll see what I mean. One state in particular thinks there is absolutely no state worthy of existing except theirs. Some people just like where they live and accentuate the positive about it and that's actually good if it's within reason. AND I can't believe you can't find any non-Christians there. According to stats, many of the towns/cities have a fewer percentage of people who consider themselves to be religious then my own city has and trust me, I could find several people around here who don't go to church.

Old 04-25-2009, 07:35 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,545,660 times
Quote:
Alas, even if I was a little ungrateful ***** with no knowelge of any hardships past or present, that dosen't prove that Oklahoma dosen't suck.
Actually it proves your list of what makes you hate Oklahoma an indication of your limited life experiences. But everyone is entitled to hate anyplace even if they have never been anyplace or done anything.

I notice you really toned down this post. Kudos. You have to be honest with yourself and admit your own unhappiness at being "forced" to be here, your unhappiness with the weather (as a service man, you better learn to adapt because OK weather pales in comparison to say... North Dakota, Afghanistan, etc), your current job situation, etc made you post in a manner which made people call you out for behaving like a little ungrateful *****.

When I said you have no knowledge of hardships, it was not an invitation for you to regurgitate Historical Hardships 101, but to highlight your own life experiences. You would not have written a post about hating Oklahoma because of reasons like pot holes, the wind, and fat people. Come on.

Quote:
Let's just stick to the topic at hand, which is: Why Oklahoma is a desirable place, Instead of saying how ungraetful I am or how skewed my perception is. I'm sure there are good things about Oklahoma too, I just haven't seen too many of them.
I think we have answered over and over why we feel Oklahoma is a desirable place. Some of us have tribal roots here, some have ancestors that were homesteaders, some value small towns with low crime, low COL, and many have gone out and experienced what the world has to offer and come to realize Oklahoma is not such a bad place after all.

No one said Oklahoma was better than any other state, unless of course, they were teasing those pesky shorthorns to the south of us.

Anyway, good luck on your life in San Diego or wherever you end up. Hopefully, your parents are skinny, otherwise by the time you hit 30 you will become...... one of us FAT SLOBS who love greasy fast food!!!!

Old 04-26-2009, 02:01 AM

297 posts, read 586,905 times
Quote:
LOL. Alright, honestly I can't take this anymore. What is it? What is so great about Oklahoma that I have been missing these past two years? Is it the wind? The extremely dynamic terrain? The horribly maintained highways with ridiculous excuses for on-ramps and toll-booths? Tornadoes? Obesity? Fast food and chain restaurants? The huge gas guzzling trucks? Huge Christain mega churches? The Ice storms? The hot humid summers? The cold winters? The hail? The fat chicks? City-Data forums detailing how great Oklahoma is?

Oh right, the twangy accents...

I'm not trying to belittle anyone, but this BornToFly guy should probably get both sides of the story, as it were, before he invests his life into Oklahoma. There is a reason the cost of living is so low here, and it's not because it's the best place on earth.

If this is where you can find peace and solace, BornToFly, that's great for you. But as for me, you'll see me hauling ass on the I-40 west when my enlistment is up; this place is just ass-backwords to me.

It's not a matter of me investing my life into Oklahoma. (And who said I was looking for peace and solace?)

I chose a profession to pursue, looked for the school that fit what I was looking for, and ended up applying to a school in Oklahoma City. If I get accepted, I'm moving. If I find it's not for me, I'll leave when I'm finished with school. Simple as that.

Sure, I'm here to get all the info I can ~ Why else would I come to city-data.com? But the reason I joined the forum was more in the hopes of getting to know some Okies, whether natives or transplants who plan on staying. I've made great real life friendships with people I've met on other forums, and I'd hoped I might do the same here, since I'm likely going to be in the state at least 2 1/2 years, and maybe all my life if I love it as much as I expect I will.

Oh, and FYI, last time I checked, I was a woman.

But that's okay, I wouldn't expect you to know that, seeing as you apparently haven't read too many of my posts, since you assumed I didn't already know the 'other side of the story'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oklahoma