Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 09:13 AM

2 posts, read 4,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grailmaiden View Post
My husband and I are currently in the process of trying to find a place to move to get out of S. California. I had my sights set on Oregon, particularly the Eugene area because that is where he could get work. However, I have been reading the posts here that are talking about how:
Oregon is the meth capital of the world
Eugene is the Anarchist capital of the world
the pollution in the Wilamette Valley is awful
the state is a financial vortex that sucks you under
that crime is rampant (although petty crime)

I am really disappointed because I was starting to think that Oregon was the place for us. We are trying to find a better place to raise our young children and from these scary pieces of info I am suddenly freaked out about Oregon.

We are a green family. We eat organic, we recycle, etc. etc. however, we are not ultra-hippie. We are middle-of-the-road politically and from what it sounds like Oregon is super liberal. I am looking for the safest, cleanest, friendliest place to raise my children. And although I am sure many of the Anarchists are very lovely people, it scares me to be in such a politically "hot" area. The meth thing scares the crap out of me too.

Does anyone have any feedback on the most family-friendly part of Oregon to live in? Or if the above statements are true or just from people who are unhappy where they are? I am really confused now. Help!

Have you thought about Bend, I have lived here for 6 years. It has very low crime and I haven't hear much about meth. I moved here from Eugene (lived their for 21 years), much higher crime and drugs. I love Bend it is always sunny, Eugene it rain about 85% of the year. In Bend you get all four seasons and there is lots to do like: camping, hiking, fishing, snowboarding, skiing and more. My step-mother lives in Sacramento area, it is crazy there with all you people and traffic. It's not ike that here, not even in Portland which is pretty busy. Hope this helps you. Good luck.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:54 AM

16 posts, read 99,167 times
I think the ones who warn about Oregon..... has this problem or that trouble.... are the ones like myself who have been here a long time and remember how there was about one vehicle per mile on our highways and interstates. How the gas station attendent would shoot the breeze with you cause there were no other customers for awhile. You could look around you and see expansive grasslands and a fresh new feel to this part of the country. like you were in vacation land most anywhere outside towns. Even Portland used to have that small town atmosphere with little congestion.

When I move again it'll be where there are less people again. I like the slow pace, less yuppie places.

Old 01-10-2008, 12:51 PM

42 posts, read 191,980 times
Oregon is a great place to live. We have clean air, mountains, ocean, lots of trees. Lots of nice small towns along the 1-5 corridor, easy commute to Eugene.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:34 PM

23 posts, read 90,494 times
Wink Can't believe all you hear~!

I've lived in Oregon almost my whole life. I was born on the east coast and moved to Beaverton when young. I lived for a few years in southern Calif and in southern Washington, but Oregon is my favorite. WE HAVE SOME WONDERFUL TOWNS HERE! Really!!!! Because of my work I travel the whole state. I can tell you about almost every little town and section of Oregon. There's no more meth here then anywhere. And Oregonians LOVE "green". Sure, Oregon is known as a liberal state, but only because the "cities" control our politics. But rural, we're more conservative, more family, more neighbors helping neighbors....you know, old school. If I were a young family relocating here I'd choose the central Oregon area....around Bend. It's a high energy, outdoor a recreation place. Stuff for kids to do without being "big city malls, etc". Bend itself has trendy little sections, beautiful parks, snowmobiling, sleding, skiing & snowboarding, mountain biking, hiking, GOLFING, shopping....everything. And the other towns around Bend offer just a little more small town atmosphere....altho Bend isn't that big by most folks standards! The town of Sisters is our resort town done up in and old west theme. Great schools! Lots of funding from events and festivals. LaPine is more "frontierish" in atmosphere. Old trapping town in the old days of mountain men. Nice community. Redmond is practically a suburb of Bend and growing fast! So lots to choose from.

I live in central Oregon and I always tell my kids that when they start their family they should relocate to Bend. But even if you choose Eugene....its great too. College town. Everything from top execs in business suits to tie dyed clothes and dread locks. Very college oriented around the university and the "Ducks". Wow, I'm talking to long. Anything more you want to know? .....HA

Old 01-10-2008, 04:27 PM

1 posts, read 2,466 times
Default It's more to do with what you want to find

Oregon is a wonderful place to live. Eugene is a nice area, there are many smaller towns located easily within commuting distance that are small and friendly. If you look for the good you will find it here!

Old 01-10-2008, 11:45 PM

4 posts, read 18,349 times
Grail,
Oregonians play cat & mouse with Californians. Kinda like racket ball, one good hit deserves another. You have to admit that the comments about reservations for Californians is funny, especially when they stop @ the Shell station in Ashland, asking for directions on how to get inducted into the main stream of normalism. Drugeeeeezz are frequently crossing the boarder from the South, um...California, ya'...California, because they used more than they were allociated for the week. It's too wet up here to grow pot, the meth sticks to the pan, 'cause they thru in the tupperware bowl, figuring that what the hell, more vital fumes. We don't have LSD, "cause all the dairys bought the entire supply of cube sugar, it's a bribe for the cows. It's a mind game, they get sugar an' somebody gets to pull on their ****.We have a store, it's called a " GREEN FRONT". They sell whiskey, it's expensive, 'cause Oregon uses the tax to keep our roads up, we drink it an' fall down. UGH...a viscious cycle. G....326 people fell off of their bikes last year an" DROWNED. Hide the kids MARTHA, theirs another floater. Then if you picnick near the Willamette river, you'll see plenty of floaters. So you won't see anything in Eugene, 'cause it's always foggy, but the hippies in the local commune said it was purple haze. Well, we really believe that Seattle jus' might reconsider giving the partridge family another chance @ being good. Things can be a lil' rough in Seattle though, a few years ago, a billboard said, " The last one to leave, please turn out the lights." Looks like you and Mr.Video made it out O.K., but it's kinda like "there goes the neighbor hood" cause YOUR BACK!!! We're really nice people up here, as one Oregonian said the other day, he leaves his rubber boots and rain coat next to the door, so when he see's a license from california...(lower case) he can spring into action an'welcome them, as we have done to you.
Have a nice day!!

Old 01-11-2008, 09:51 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,053,608 times
"The schools we saw had no fences..."

I don't really understand the "no fences" issue... Many of the schools we have been involved with in several different states did not have fences. The school my children attended in Eugene, OR did not have a fence, and there was never any problems.

Is it a concern for children running out of the school yard or strangers walking onto the school grounds? Because unless you also have locked gates at all times (and even then it's no guarantee) people can get in and out regardless. And locking the gates would pose a risk at all times, wouldn't it?

I have heard of schools in more rural sort of areas having fences to protect from roaming predators such as large cats, wolves, bears, etc... but aside from that or perhaps if the school was located in a very busy sort of intersection or on a very busy street, I don't really understand a need for them?

Old 01-12-2008, 12:23 AM

3 posts, read 8,793 times
Asher thanks for your reply,
i have gained some more information about Oregon and have liked what i have heard so far . So far i have narrowed down to a few places in Oregon. Portland being at the top list so far

Old 01-12-2008, 12:47 PM

12 posts, read 51,859 times
Hi
I too live in S.cal. and am trying to get out. I know people who know people that live in Eugene. It is VERY much geared to track and field world class runners. i have heard the same things about the place as you have. Although, I think personally.... whats a lil anarchy when we are faced with total 'brokedome' and worse in so.cal? If anyone has expertise on this subject, I would love to hear some. Thanks

Old 01-16-2008, 01:55 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,053,608 times
The anarchy thing is actually a bit old. It was one little moment in time in Eugene, a news story years ago, a blip on the screen, that for some reason people still talk about. There used to be a small hub of anarchists that lived in an old neighborhood in Eugene... most of them all lived on the same block even. Police broke them up... arrested some of them (arrests were tied to drug-related crimes)... it was kind of extreme how the police went about it... especially by liberal PNW standards (people out here really don't support their law enforcement, I find that sad and tricky...) but things have since cooled down. It happened several years ago. Eugene is not the "anarchist capital of the world" anymore than it is the "meth capital of the world" and nor is it the "hippy town" it used to be. It's growing up, and cleaning up in most areas, and you'll still catch a glimpse here and there of all walks of life - but you'll see the same things in any college town of similar size.

Sports is big in Eugene... COLLEGE sports, anyway - go Ducks!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon