Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 04:43 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,693,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by orygun View Post
Oregon is funny. Liberal and conservative at the same time.
Liberal and conservative are just media garbage tags for keeping score in the football game called politics. Thanks to our two party system, there are only winners and losers, and no room for a third opinion.

A few years ago, Oregon voters passed term limits. It gutted the leadership of the legislature. All the politicians that were left became ideology oriented, because they didn't understand the issues. It just about destroyed traditional Oregon politics, which had always been oriented to finding the best solution to the issues, regardless of ideology. The state Supreme Court finally struck down term limits, and all the voters breathed a sigh of relief, except for the fanatical ideologues.

Old 09-15-2007, 05:38 PM

10 posts, read 46,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisruns2far View Post
The majority of newcomers are retirees (primarily from CA) and not young families or young people in general as our state is getting older and more conservative.

I have no problem with retirees, it just seems that far too many of them are of the anti-government and anti-tax mindset that 'I have paid my share of taxes already' and will not support what your community needs for public schools, parks and rec, higher education, libraires, roads, police, fire protection, etc, etc.

Also many come here and seek to undermine the most progressive and pro-active land use legislation and regulations in the United States of America. They choose to attack, undermine and squander the urban/rural planning that makes Oregon so unique in that we seek to contain sprawl better than anyplace else and we protect vital farmland and private forestlands for future generations to enjoy rather than make high-end subdivisions and destination resorts out of them.
You know, everything changes......and grows......and becomes something else. It would be really nice if we could take the things we love and just keep them in some sort of box and never allow them to change........yes? no? I lived in Oregon for several years in a past life and am about to return. I'm sure I'm going to find some things that haven't changed very much and other things that have changed completely (tis the way of LIFE). A couple of things I'm sure of, though......it's still going to rain alot and that color green I've been trying to duplicate will be right in front of me, just about anywhere I go. And I'll smile and do my best to be an honorable, responsible but kicked-back citizen who is just so grateful to be coming Home. And I know my positive attitude can't do anything but help. Keep the faith, it's all good.

Old 09-19-2007, 03:09 AM

3 posts, read 8,793 times
For someone thinking of moving to oregon,from what i am reading i have not heard a real positive thing about the state,and especially eugene. sounds like its a drug infested,crime ridden,air polluted,goverment controlled so far i have not heard or read anything good about oregon from people who are from there. Please tell me if there is anything good about the state

Old 09-19-2007, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommytune44 View Post
For someone thinking of moving to oregon,from what i am reading i have not heard a real positive thing about the state,and especially eugene. sounds like its a drug infested,crime ridden,air polluted,goverment controlled so far i have not heard or read anything good about oregon from people who are from there. Please tell me if there is anything good about the state
If you have money to burn, Oregon is a great place to live. The outdoor recreational opportunities are endless. Unfortunately, high paying jobs are few and far between, and tend to be pretty short term. If you already have a job lined up, or a big wad of cash in your pocket, the move would be great. Otherwise, you better think twice. If you end up poor in Oregon, you probably will stay that way for the rest of your life. Being old and poor is something you really want to avoid.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:05 AM

206 posts, read 615,652 times
if your soo worrierd about it then dont move here most people that kive here love it i moved here from other state in march and love it

TO BLAME ALL THE PROBLEMS IN THE WORLD ON ONE STATE IS VERY DUMB AND SILLY

Old 09-21-2007, 12:21 PM

540 posts, read 2,174,560 times
Larry...I don't mean this to be an attack of any kind...just a question. What has made you such a negative person? If someone gave you a million dollars in gold coins would you complain that it wasn't stacked right?

There is NOT a place in the world (city, county, region, state, or nation) that doesn't have problems in some areas. There are ALWAYS going to be people who complain. I am a big fan of total disclosure and believe that everyone should make informed decisions based on the facts; but PLEASE readers of this forum, separate fact from opinion where you can and recognize that, while everyplace has negatives, there are also lots of positives (which is why people continue to live in these places)...

I for one choose to be the kind of person who looks for the positives and makes the best of the negatives! My family and I have lived in Oregon for 6 years and have been very happy. After 23 years of moving around (mostly major metropolitan cities) it was nice to come to a place we can call home. The people are friendly, the cost of living is perhaps medium to high (but not nearly as high as some of the other places I've lived), my children are thriving in the schools, and have lots of friends and activities to keep them out of trouble. We own a home in a nice neighborhood, belong to a wonderful church, and my only real complaint is that there aren't nearly as many good restaurants here as there were in Hawaii or San Diego. Other than that...I'm pretty darn happy here and I wish you all could find the same.

If you're not happy where you are you can either adjust your own attitude or move. It doesn't do anyone any good just to be miserable, does it?

I hope you all have a great day!

Dave

Old 09-21-2007, 01:33 PM

4,721 posts, read 15,619,556 times
Hi Dave,I think "tommytune" is the crabby guy,Larry was quoting him

Old 09-21-2007, 01:57 PM

540 posts, read 2,174,560 times
Honestly, I think they were both being crabby.

Dave

Old 09-21-2007, 04:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,798 times
Default There is NO NEED to be freaked out by Oregon

Oregon is the best kept secret in the US... Period. We are the greenest city (especially Eugene), our crime rate is so ridiculously low it is ridiculous, the only way people die here is from old age or sucide (which does happen because of our bad mental health care system). But it is one of the friendliest places to raise a child! I would suggest not living in Eugene.. unless you smoke weed or dont mind those who do. Bend is beautiful and the housing market has dropped right now so the prices are INCREDIBLE. Or the city, where there are tons of sububurbs with great educational systems and plently of opportunities to know your neighbor and get outside and into the outdoors. This is the friendlest place, you will love the people, the diversity (if in the city or suburbs) and the culture and food. Plus, only an hour away from the mountains and an hour away from the beach! You cant get any better than that! Get rid of those bad vibes.. that is just an oregonian trying to savor this place for ourselves!

Old 09-21-2007, 04:57 PM

[quote=DavePautsch;1548613]Larry...I don't mean this to be an attack of any kind...just a question. What has made you such a negative person?/QUOTE]

That's an interesting comment. I thought I was a pretty positive and upbeat kind of guy. I'm just not the Chamber of Commerce, and am interested in helping people dodge disasters. Forewarned is forearmed, and all that.

It's nice that you have managed to slip into a middle class Oregon existence. However, when I see someone ask, "what's the job market like?" without mentioning any marketable skills, I think it is only reasonable to inject a note of caution. It puts me in mind of a verse from "Acres of Clams":

"I tried to get out of the country,
But poverty forced me to stay,
Until I became an old settler,
Then nothing could drive me away!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon