Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 11:29 AM

18 posts, read 47,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldm883 View Post
I've lived in Oregon almost my whole life. I was born on the east coast and moved to Beaverton when young. I lived for a few years in southern Calif and in southern Washington, but Oregon is my favorite. WE HAVE SOME WONDERFUL TOWNS HERE! Really!!!! Because of my work I travel the whole state. I can tell you about almost every little town and section of Oregon. There's no more meth here then anywhere. And Oregonians LOVE "green". Sure, Oregon is known as a liberal state, but only because the "cities" control our politics. But rural, we're more conservative, more family, more neighbors helping neighbors....you know, old school. If I were a young family relocating here I'd choose the central Oregon area....around Bend. It's a high energy, outdoor a recreation place. Stuff for kids to do without being "big city malls, etc". Bend itself has trendy little sections, beautiful parks, snowmobiling, sleding, skiing & snowboarding, mountain biking, hiking, GOLFING, shopping....everything. And the other towns around Bend offer just a little more small town atmosphere....altho Bend isn't that big by most folks standards! The town of Sisters is our resort town done up in and old west theme. Great schools! Lots of funding from events and festivals. LaPine is more "frontierish" in atmosphere. Old trapping town in the old days of mountain men. Nice community. Redmond is practically a suburb of Bend and growing fast! So lots to choose from.

I live in central Oregon and I always tell my kids that when they start their family they should relocate to Bend. But even if you choose Eugene....its great too. College town. Everything from top execs in business suits to tie dyed clothes and dread locks. Very college oriented around the university and the "Ducks". Wow, I'm talking to long. Anything more you want to know? .....HA
Yep, spoken like a real estate agent.

Old 01-16-2008, 12:52 PM

2,091 posts, read 9,048,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeJodi View Post
Yep, spoken like a real estate agent.

I just thought it was a lovely post......who cares if she is a real estate agent? her post was well written and quite an apt description of Oregon.

Tiffany

Old 01-16-2008, 06:21 PM

6 posts, read 6,774 times
Default more about Eugene

This is my first post. I've skimmed the postings on this subject. I moved here from the east coast about 13 years ago. I love it here. I can understand why folks want to pull up the bridge after they get settled here; no one wants to find paradise, only to have it trampled by a herd of like-seekers.

That being said, Eugene is not for everyone. The job opportunities are slim because of the University--many graduates want to stay and are willing to be paid less (well, not willing, but that's what it takes sometimes) in order to live here. Don't be surprised if your mail-person, grocery clerk and hairdresser have bachelor's degrees or even a masters. Home prices, while not at the level of CA, are not cheap -- the going median is in the $230,000 range for a ranch-style home. It doesn't rain all the time, but winters are gray and overcast. Many folks suffer from SAD (seasonal affective disorder).

Yet residents are friendly, well-read, more liberal than not, very family-oriented and environmentally conscious. The surrounding area is beautiful and green year-round. Lots of outdoor sports to partake in, plus summer concerts in the park, bike-riding path and trails galore, good restaurants, hiking venues -- it's just really a great place to live. Clean and not crime-ridden, although, of course, there is a crime quotient. Tie-dye t-shirts are always in style here....

Old 08-27-2008, 09:41 PM

54 posts, read 293,921 times
Default Thanks for the Post

Thanks for the Post, NativeJodi. I thought is was informative and well balanced. As one who is seriously looking at relocating to central Oregon, I appreciate a positive but impartial opinion. (As impartial as any of us can be about something we like.)
Minorbrew

Old 08-28-2008, 10:39 AM

14 posts, read 59,097 times
Ok first, drugs are everywhere. When you live someplace and you know they are there it is a problem. So you are going to find them everywhere. Second pollution, well thats everywhere too. In your bigger cities you will find it. Industerial areas and larger cities. As for the financial vortex you talk of, hehe look at the state our whole country is in. I don't think Oregon is in any worse shape so to speak than the rest of the country. When I moved to Oregon 7 years ago I thought it was kind of strange some of the laws and tax stuff but now I don't want to live anywhere else. It is a leap of faith along with how much you want to like it and fit in. So yes there is good and bad just like everywhere.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:11 PM

3 posts, read 7,196 times
Default Off the subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettydane48 View Post
From what I've heard, meth is more of a problem in rural cities in Oregon, like Weed and Merlin.
~Betty
Heh. I grew up outside of Eugene and am moving back soon. Just have to say, though: Who names their city, "Weed"?? What's that all about? And "Boring". Maybe this business of trying to keep Californians out started in the 19th century.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:26 PM

10 posts, read 63,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alias4cat View Post
I can understand why folks want to pull up the bridge after they get settled here; no one wants to find paradise, only to have it trampled by a herd of like-seekers.
THIS! THIS x 100! I like to see some people get it here. I won't mention any names but there are a few here that are really trying hard to recruit out-of-staters -- but why? I just don't get it. You know you live in Paradise, your neighbors know you live in paradise, so why would you want to ruin it? It seems so simple, yet some people just can not figure this basic concept out. And just to clarify, I am not trying to put out-of-staters down, it is just a simple fact; the more people you have here, the less Oregon becomes the oasis that it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caserichard View Post
....And "Boring". Maybe this business of trying to keep Californians out started in the 19th century.
Our forefathers got it...

It is kinda like the naming of Iceland vs. Greenland.

~TM

Old 09-29-2010, 10:07 PM

6,464 posts, read 13,440,203 times
On the other end of the spectrum, I have in all honestly been asked how big my log cabin is, and how do I get Internet out in the wilds of Oregon.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:49 PM

963 posts, read 3,033,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMcCall View Post
THIS! THIS x 100! I like to see some people get it here. I won't mention any names but there are a few here that are really trying hard to recruit out-of-staters -- but why? I just don't get it. You know you live in Paradise, your neighbors know you live in paradise, so why would you want to ruin it? It seems so simple, yet some people just can not figure this basic concept out. And just to clarify, I am not trying to put out-of-staters down, it is just a simple fact; the more people you have here, the less Oregon becomes the oasis that it is.

Our forefathers got it...

It is kinda like the naming of Iceland vs. Greenland.

~TM
Didn't you die in 1983, Tom?

Old 09-30-2010, 03:26 PM

4,828 posts, read 7,454,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda-by-the-sea View Post
Didn't you die in 1983, Tom?
In Oregon he is immortal and will live on forever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon