Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2021, 09:56 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,054,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyp22 View Post
Ironically, I was caught up in Altamonte late this afternoon for longer than I expected. I was right near Antica, so when I was finally done I went there for a pie. Ordered the Margherita for eating in at the restaurant. Good flavor, but the way it came out was… not to my liking. The crust was on the one hand slightly undercooked, but the parts of the dough that had made solid contact with the oven surface were just shy of being burned. I couldn’t quite figure out how that could be. If I were to guess, possibly either the dough was not quite hydrated enough, or the oven was not quite hot enough? If I find myself in the area and feel desperate for a pie, I guess it’d be alright, but to me the Margherita at F&D was better. Gotta try some of the other places already mentioned.
Well, that's a shame. It really was great under their original Italian owners. I will get over there soon to see how the new pies taste. I have not tried F&D yet...that has been on my radar for a while.

I do stand by my recommendation of Nino's for a NY street slice. I just had lunch there...so good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2021, 10:12 AM

240 posts, read 213,210 times
have you tried NY places? that's like going to San Fran and asking for a NOLA style muffaletta isn't it? or going to Toledo and asking for Memphis BBQ rubbed ribs or pulled pork isn't it?

This is Florida last time I checked. Even Memphians don't go to nearby Nashville and expect Memphis style BBQ, lol...they know better than to do that.

Old 08-13-2021, 02:15 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Ironically, I was caught up in Altamonte late this afternoon for longer than I expected. I was right near Antica, so when I was finally done I went there for a pie. Ordered the Margherita for eating in at the restaurant. Good flavor, but the way it came out was… not to my liking. The crust was on the one hand slightly undercooked, but the parts of the dough that had made solid contact with the oven surface were just shy of being burned. I couldn’t quite figure out how that could be. If I were to guess, possibly either the dough was not quite hydrated enough, or the oven was not quite hot enough? If I find myself in the area and feel desperate for a pie, I guess it’d be alright, but to me the Margherita at F&D was better. Gotta try some of the other places already mentioned.
Have you tried Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza yet?

Old 08-13-2021, 07:13 PM

648 posts, read 517,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Have you tried Anthony's Coal Fired Pizza yet?
Anthony’s is a franchise operation. There was one up in NJ near me. Actually not too bad for a franchise outfit.

Old 08-14-2021, 07:30 AM

240 posts, read 213,210 times
never understood the preoccupation with pizza...few native locals get bent out of shape in discovery, it's almost all the time some new transplant moving from 1000 miles away to the culture of Florida, and they seem to expect the same things they consciously and freely LEFT BEHIND....seriously....1000 to 1200 miles away in a completely different part of the nation!

it's almost sickening at times....can you imagine a native Floridian who CHOOSES to move to say, Indianapolis/Carmel or say Austin TX and bitchnmoan that they can't find a "Florida-style Grouper Sandwich" ???

Old 08-14-2021, 07:37 AM

42 posts, read 50,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMerendino View Post
never understood the preoccupation with pizza...few native locals get bent out of shape in discovery, it's almost all the time some new transplant moving from 1000 miles away to the culture of Florida, and they seem to expect the same things they consciously and freely LEFT BEHIND....seriously....1000 to 1200 miles away in a completely different part of the nation!

it's almost sickening at times....can you imagine a native Floridian who CHOOSES to move to say, Indianapolis/Carmel or say Austin TX and bitchnmoan that they can't find a "Florida-style Grouper Sandwich" ???

I hear ya! I agree but at the same time, do not say "NY style" pizza and I bet the comparisons and preoccupation will stop, or if it does not stop it will definitely decrease.

Old 08-14-2021, 04:46 PM

Quote:

I’ll take a stab at answering, if it’s okay. I think it’s because pizza is a commodity that, I think no matter where you might be in the country - at least for parts of the country with growth and diversity, like here, you find on practically every corner. I don’t know , but I’m not sure you’d find a lot of grouper sandwich places most anywhere else outside of this part of the country (which sounds, BTW, pretty tasty - I’ll have to ask where to get a good one! ). Since running into pizza is practically like running past a gas station, people are going to wonder where they can find a style they like.

Now the OP (wherever he/she may be by now) asked about ‘NY Style’ pizza. Me? I just like good pizza (which isn’t necessarily always NY style) so I figured I’d chime in and try to stay OT.

Now, about where to get a good grouper sandwich…?

Old 08-15-2021, 07:59 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Now, about where to get a good grouper sandwich…?
It's a schlep but the Happy Snapper in Belle Isle is pretty amazing.

https://happy-snapper-seafood-market...business.site/

Old 08-15-2021, 08:55 PM

Thanks Kyle!

Old 08-16-2021, 12:56 PM

2,939 posts, read 4,127,371 times
Quote:

You've never heard someone from CA complain about the tacos? Or a Texan about the BBQ? Or a Frenchie or German complain about the bread?

This is the reason you can go to other cities and find Mission style burritos, Italian bakeries, Montreal style bagels, and Texas style BBQ. Heck, Jeremiah's is a local chain based on Philly-style "wooder ice" and soft pretzels. It's not John's or the Water Ice Factory but it's pretty good. Wawa is a slice of Philly, right down to the Amoroso's rolls, in convenience store format. If people like it they'll buy it - and good quality whatever is going to be good quality wherever you sell it. I can imagine that the guy who owns Belanger started out thinking, "I can't good bagels here. I guess I'll have to do it myself."

Food is a fundamental part of everyone's culture, something you spend a lot of time with friends and family doing, and especially because of its connection to smell, forms some of your earliest memories. I'm not gonna ask where I can get good ice cream around here because there's already fantastic ice cream and gelato. When I lived in Australia the ice cream sucked and it was impossible to get good pancakes anywhere. Had I stayed there I would've seriously considered opening an American-style diner or an american-style scoop shop. The best tacos around were an hour away in Burleigh and owned by a couple from San Diego.

I've moved a lot and I've never met a single person who ever said, "Oh, they don't have good X? Nope, I can't move there. Pick a different city." Hardly anyone but the most hardcore foodies makes a specific food a consideration. For most people you don't realize what you miss food-wise until you don't have access to it anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando