Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2021, 07:32 PM

42 posts, read 50,526 times

Advertisements

Hello, looking for NY style pizza recommendations in the Disney/Orlando area. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2021, 01:52 PM

648 posts, read 519,938 times
What kind of NY style pizza? The dollar a slice kind that you can find all over the city? Something more along the line of John’s on Bleeker? Maybe Patsy’s? Most folks associate “NY style” pizza with the dollar a slice places, which are still pretty good compared to a lot of what I’ve tried down here. If that’s what you’re looking for, I haven’t found it (yet) - but I’ve only just started looking. OTOH F&D Woodfired on 434 in Longwood makes a really good pie. No it is not similar to the NY style pie, which tends to bit slightly thicker and a bit more doughy. It’s IMO actually better - good crust, nice sauce, a very good fresh flavor. More like a Frank Pepe’s - although Frank’s is coal fired.

Old 07-06-2021, 02:37 PM

332 posts, read 218,652 times
Positano Trattoria Pizzeria in DeLand

Old 07-06-2021, 02:39 PM

17,281 posts, read 15,476,500 times
Anthony’s in Thornton Park is good, but not quite “NY Style,” if I’m judging by Tony’s description above (the kind I like to get at the local pizza spot on Jamaica Ave.)
But it’s good… Give it a shot.

Over here where I just moved, I am so far very impressed by Vetture’s… But that’s far from Orlando. If ever you’re in the area though, highly recommended.

Old 07-06-2021, 03:12 PM

2,941 posts, read 4,135,370 times
#1 - Del Dio by the executive airport.

#2 - Tomasino's in Colonial Plaza. IMO, Del Dio is better but you're not wrong for going here.

#3 - haven't found it yet. If I find pizza that's in the same league with #1 and #2 I'm happy to update.

There are plenty of places where you can get a big, sloppy slice for a few bucks but they all have problems. Either the sauce is too sweet, the crust isn't right, or their cheese is all wrong. Cheddar doesn't belong in a pizza kitchen.

** - These places are less than a mile apart and neither of them are really near Disney. Not saying you can't find decent pizza down there, I just don't know where it would be."

Old 07-06-2021, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
#1 - Del Dio by the executive airport.
Hey, thanks for reminding me to try Del Dio! I had that on my list but I need to move it up in priority.

There’s NY pie, then there’s real pizza (as in Italy). Real Neapolitan pizza is typically a bit thinner than the classic New York slice (which granted is thinner than copy cat slices in most other parts of the country), and usually has much less cheese than (what is really) New York American pie. Since my family is from that part of Italy, I prefer that style.

There’s nothing wrong with a classic NY sloppy slice, as long as the crust has good flavor, the sauce has no sugar in it, and no “cheese product” is used. That and cooking it long enough so the crust doesn’t fold like a cheap suit.

Sicilian of course is a completely different matter.

Old 07-07-2021, 08:39 AM

2,941 posts, read 4,135,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyp22 View Post
Hey, thanks for reminding me to try Del Dio! I had that on my list but I need to move it up in priority.
It's the best I've had here. You can get it by the slice there but it's worth getting the whole pie fresh and hot.

Quote:
There’s NY pie, then there’s real pizza (as in Italy). Real Neapolitan pizza is typically a bit thinner than the classic New York slice (which granted is thinner than copy cat slices in most other parts of the country), and usually has much less cheese than (what is really) New York American pie. Since my family is from that part of Italy, I prefer that style.
You can get decent, classic, wood fired margherita around here, too. That's the actual, classic neapolitan. I'll eat that all day but I'm a sucker for NY style. Roman style is also great, just less of a street food/a little more awkward to eat by hand. FWIW, I've seen Sicilian on the counter at Del Dio but it's not on the menu. It's not my first choice so I've never asked about it but it might be worth "inquiring."

Quote:
There’s nothing wrong with a classic NY sloppy slice, as long as the crust has good flavor, the sauce has no sugar in it, and no “cheese product” is used. That and cooking it long enough so the crust doesn’t fold like a cheap suit.
I grew up in New Jersey where thin crust is taken to another level. Places like The Brothers in Red Bank, Vic's in Bradley Beach, and Pete & Elda's in Neptune City. Point is, you can have a ridiculously thin crust as long as you do it right. The crust only gets floppy/doesn't bake properly when you use too much sauce and cheese relative to your dough. The crust only gets brittle and cracks when you're oven isn't hot enough - which forces you to bake for longer which dries out the crust. Some places do this on purpose because they smother their pies so they need to bake them for longer.

Old 07-07-2021, 01:15 PM

I wonder if we helped the OP?

Old 07-07-2021, 09:17 PM

27,231 posts, read 44,036,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyp22 View Post
What kind of NY style pizza? The dollar a slice kind that you can find all over the city? Something more along the line of John’s on Bleeker? Maybe Patsy’s? Most folks associate “NY style” pizza with the dollar a slice places, which are still pretty good compared to a lot of what I’ve tried down here. If that’s what you’re looking for, I haven’t found it (yet) - but I’ve only just started looking. OTOH F&D Woodfired on 434 in Longwood makes a really good pie. No it is not similar to the NY style pie, which tends to bit slightly thicker and a bit more doughy. It’s IMO actually better - good crust, nice sauce, a very good fresh flavor. More like a Frank Pepe’s - although Frank’s is coal fired.
The John's on Bleeker-style with a blistered foldable crust is I think what most have in mind when referencing NY-style pizza. That said it's a tough ask in this area. NYPD Pizza from experience does a very credible job as a franchise operation that nails the crust, thickness, and sauce pretty well. There's one on International Drive here. https://www.nypdpizzeria.com/

Old 07-08-2021, 06:19 AM

169 posts, read 127,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
It's the best I've had here. You can get it by the slice there but it's worth getting the whole pie fresh and hot.
Maybe this was my issue. I went to Del Dio’s and Tomasino’s last night because of your post and was sorely disappointed, although I only had a slice from each. If this is as close to NY pizza as it gets, then I’ll just stick with Gitto’s downtown or even Josie’s Pizza in metro west.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando