Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2021, 01:10 PM

648 posts, read 517,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drive carephilly View Post
I'm not gonna ask where I can get good ice cream around here because there's already fantastic ice cream and gelato.
MONTE Gelato.

BTW, someone just asked about authentic Philly cheesesteak in the Omaha forum. Now why would someone want to do that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2021, 09:24 AM

2,939 posts, read 4,127,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
Stopped by this forum after a long while and saw this topic and I have to jump in:

The best NY slice in Orlando is at a hole in the wall joint on Edgewater called Nino's. This place does not taste like the countless places that claim to be NY style which are mostly completely average. This one nails a certain flavor that tastes the closest to NY slice joints. It's definitely NOT on the level of John's of Bleeker, which is one of the best pizzerias in the world. Watch the hours though they are not open on weekends and close early evening.
I went to Nino's yesterday - I got 2 slices. The crust is 100% on point. Perfect. My little helper got a bowl of spaghetti which comes with two slices of bread on the side. The bread was clearly made in house. Their bread game is so good (and their hours so strange) it makes me think that they should be in business as an Italian bakery.

Best NY slice . . ? Not in my opinion. I would definitely go back there if I was in the neighborhood at the right time of day/day of week but I wouldn't go out of my way to go that far again. It seemed like the cheese mix was 90% mozz and I couldn't quite put my finger on it but I want to say 5% asiago and 5% swiss. It's wasn't bad it was just weird enough to have me thinking the whole time I was eating it "what the heck is in here?" - and to the extent that swiss (or whatever that was) is not for me, the rest of the pizza makes up for it.

I don't know if it's people trying to stand out by doing something different. There was this place I used to go to regularly in Emeryville, CA in the "good for the Bay Area" sense of pizza that did the same thing with the swiss but they were a lot heavier on the asiago. Don't get me wrong - Nino's is much better than anything in the East Bay - I'm just asking out loud why people do it. It's like they're trying to get the same bite you get from aged provolone and parm but without actually having to use it.

Old 08-17-2021, 07:14 PM

87 posts, read 58,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyp22 View Post
What kind of NY style pizza? The dollar a slice kind that you can find all over the city? Something more along the line of John’s on Bleeker? Maybe Patsy’s? Most folks associate “NY style” pizza with the dollar a slice places, which are still pretty good compared to a lot of what I’ve tried down here. If that’s what you’re looking for, I haven’t found it (yet) - but I’ve only just started looking. OTOH F&D Woodfired on 434 in Longwood makes a really good pie. No it is not similar to the NY style pie, which tends to bit slightly thicker and a bit more doughy. It’s IMO actually better - good crust, nice sauce, a very good fresh flavor. More like a Frank Pepe’s - although Frank’s is coal fired.
NY style means not Chicago style.
There are a lot of mid westerners that visit Florida and many of them tend to favor Chicago deep dish style. He’s saying he doesn’t want that style. He wants NY style. Hand tossed.
And that’s what I want too.

Old 08-17-2021, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Anthony’s in Thornton Park is good, but not quite “NY Style,” if I’m judging by Tony’s description above (the kind I like to get at the local pizza spot on Jamaica Ave.)
But it’s good… Give it a shot.

Over here where I just moved, I am so far very impressed by Vetture’s… But that’s far from Orlando. If ever you’re in the area though, highly recommended.
It’s not that good.
He or she won’t like it.

Old 08-17-2021, 07:22 PM

Whatever you decide don’t ever eat the pizza at Disney’s wilderness lodge.

Old 08-17-2021, 11:19 PM

12,166 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KMerendino View Post
never understood the preoccupation with pizza...few native locals get bent out of shape in discovery, it's almost all the time some new transplant moving from 1000 miles away to the culture of Florida, and they seem to expect the same things they consciously and freely LEFT BEHIND....seriously....1000 to 1200 miles away in a completely different part of the nation!

it's almost sickening at times....can you imagine a native Floridian who CHOOSES to move to say, Indianapolis/Carmel or say Austin TX and bitchnmoan that they can't find a "Florida-style Grouper Sandwich" ???
Bro we know Orlando has bad ny pizza. Just get over it.

After school in high school i went to somewhere near the airport off semoran. Its long gone now.

Last edited by masssachoicetts; 08-17-2021 at 11:31 PM..

Old 08-18-2021, 05:27 PM

Quote:
have you tried NY places? that's like going to San Fran and asking for a NOLA style muffaletta isn't it? or going to Toledo and asking for Memphis BBQ rubbed ribs or pulled pork isn't it?

This is Florida last time I checked. Even Memphians don't go to nearby Nashville and expect Memphis style BBQ, lol...they know better than to do that.
Yes this is Florida. And I prefer Maryland style crab cakes over Caribbean style crab cakes.
Both styles are served here depending on where you go bc there is no such thing as Florida style crab cakes even though Florida has crab.
So if I want crab cakes in Florida I have to choose between Maryland style or Caribbean style.
Same goes for pizza.
There is no such thing as Florida style pizza.
So your choices are New York style or Chicago style.

There’s nothing wrong with people wanting recommendations for good New York style pizza in Florida just like there is nothing wrong with people asking where to go to get the best Maryland style crab cakes in Florida.
Those are the styles for those foods.
That’s what they are called.

So why are you throwing a tantrum?
Lol!

Last edited by Shark tooth necklace; 08-18-2021 at 05:42 PM..

Old 08-18-2021, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Bro we know Orlando has bad ny pizza. Just get over it.

After school in high school i went to somewhere near the airport off semoran. Its long gone now.
Tartini tastes good enough.
It’s near the Orlando airport.
And weirdly the bowling ally on international drive has delicious pizza.
Amazingly delicious.
So unexpected.

Old 08-18-2021, 05:30 PM

12,166 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark tooth necklace View Post
Tartini tastes good enough.
It’s near the Orlando airport.
And weirdly the bowling ally on international drive has delicious pizza.
Theres a place in Conway area. Very famous. I forgot the name. Great pies. Iirc

Old 08-18-2021, 05:54 PM

Quote:
never understood the preoccupation with pizza...few native locals get bent out of shape in discovery, it's almost all the time some new transplant moving from 1000 miles away to the culture of Florida, and they seem to expect the same things they consciously and freely LEFT BEHIND....seriously....1000 to 1200 miles away in a completely different part of the nation!

it's almost sickening at times....can you imagine a native Floridian who CHOOSES to move to say, Indianapolis/Carmel or say Austin TX and bitchnmoan that they can't find a "Florida-style Grouper Sandwich" ???
Are people looking for Indianapolis style grouper sandwiches any where?
I don’t understand your analogy.
Bc it’s smart for people to make NY or Chicago style pizza Bc those are the kinds of pizza people are most interested in buying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando