Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 07:00 AM
NCN

21,664 posts, read 25,719,940 times

Advertisements

Today's Question(s):

What's your favorite charity? This could be one you donate money or time to.
Church and Share the warmth (Duke Energy charity to help people with their electric bill)

Extra Credit Question:

For those of you in the cold regions. Do you let your car idle to warm up so you don't freeze your "you know what off" before going somewhere? I think that is against the law here. There have been too many cars stolen when they did that and went back inside.
How long do you let it "warm up" before heading out? Start the car and go while shaking! LOL

Bonus Question:

Inviting folks into your home Yay or Nay? No, except people that I know.
and Why? It is just not safe anymore. Isn't that sad.

Extra Bonus Question:

Paper towels or cloth towels in your kitchen? Paper now that the children are not home anymore. I had one child that would use the whole roll, so we used to use cloth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 07:29 AM

20,797 posts, read 9,771,324 times
I used to give to March of Dimes, Unicef, United Way and it never seemed to be enough then they kept calling and calling and would not leave me alone so now I just give to The Jimmy Fund. I knew a little girl with Leukemia and they were incredible to the entire family.
I do also donate to our local crisis center.

We are in one of the "cold zones" but usually I just start the car and go. I don't mind the cold.

I love inviting people and cooking in my home. The more the merrier.

We have both paper towels and cloth. To me, paper towels are such a waste of money but on the other hand a necessary staple.

You Light Up My Life....UUGGHH If I never hear that song again that would be fine.

National Chicken Cacciatore Day..funny I made that last night....should have waited a day....who knew???? I also made it with mushrooms.

Have a great day everyone!

Old 10-15-2008, 07:37 AM

27,446 posts, read 27,483,419 times
Today's Question(s):

What's your favorite charity? This could be one you donate money or time to.

Extra Credit Question:

For those of you in the cold regions. Do you let your car idle to warm up so you don't freeze your "you know what off" before going somewhere?
How long do you let it "warm up" before heading out?

Bonus Question:

Inviting folks into your home Yay or Nay ?
and Why ?

Extra Bonus Question:

Paper towels or cloth towels in your kitchen?

Depending on who it is, most people are welcome into our home.
I support the police dept, child abuse organizations and the animal shelter, whether its material items, time to do bake sales or small donations. Oh...and the local AM/PM mini-mart, lol, their candy section.
Last of all, we use terry towels for dishes but paper towels for most everything else.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:45 AM

10,295 posts, read 9,728,634 times
Goooood morning to all....

What's your favorite charity? This could be one you donate money or time to:
Hospice is top of my list and has been for year's .... have donated, volunteer, and became an employee at one time...it is a wonderful organization!! And truly needs all the help financially, physically, in all area's.

For those of you in the cold regions. Do you let your car idle to warm up before going somewhere?
Nope... I just gooooooo!

and Why ?
Yay, I love people and love having all ages around!! This is when for me, more is better!!

I use both...

October 15, 1951 "I Love Lucy" debuts on CBS TV :
Gotta love Lucille Ball! The queen of comedy!!!

National Poetry Day

Oh... my cyber friends your such a delight,
Some posting late and some at daybreak.
But always there is one or maybe two,
Ready to post and show there kindness to you!

What a wonderful place it is in cyber space,
Everyones typing at a slow or fast pace,
With all their errors and spelling mistakes,
To get to the next forum before it's to late.

One will never be lonely and without,
Because there's always another who feels the same without doubt.
So gear up your graphics and smileys too,
Because there's lots of cyber friends waiting for you.....

ok everyone sing "youuuuuu light up my liiiife you bring me hope to carrry oooonn !!!!!!

Have a wonderful day!!!!!!

Last edited by Cyber Munchkin; 10-15-2008 at 08:32 AM..

Old 10-15-2008, 07:51 AM

4,279 posts, read 10,381,848 times
What's your favorite charity?
Local Humane Society, United Way (local children's education) and FOE.

For those of you in the cold regions. Do you let your car idle to warm up so you don't freeze your "you know what off" before going somewhere?
How long do you let it "warm up" before heading out?

We're in Wisconsin and we don't idle the car. There's absolutely no need to with todays modern engines. Driving it is the best way to warm it up. Plus it's not good for the enviroment, your engine and your pocket book.

Inviting folks into your home Yay or Nay and Why?
Friends and most of the family ... Yay! Total strangers ... Nay!

Never buy or use paper towels. I have plenty of dish towels though.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:04 AM

1,821 posts, read 5,162,367 times
Probably the chairty we give the most to is the Humane society. When I buy our dog food, I try to also buy a bag for the humane society.

tet tea is right the best and fastest way to warm up the car is driving it and I do that eventually. I do however usually remote start the car right before I go out the door and its usually running while I scrape the windows. The defrost helps with the scraping anyway. My wifes car is in the garage so I don't have to scrape two cars. I would love a two car garage in the future.

I have both paper towels and cloth towels in the kitchen.

Old 10-15-2008, 08:08 AM

2,905 posts, read 7,367,827 times
hmmm. good questions. I always like to help out food pantries. Not, go there and help ,although I have done that and may do again when there are no little ones at home, but really make food donations. My son's cub scout pack is doing a food drive for our local food pantry. The thought of anyone going hungry makes me sad

My 7 y/o son and I also did the Relay for Life last year. We are going to make it a tradition. He learned a lot about asking people for money, and made his own donation.

In Mass, durign the winter, we HAVE to let the car warm up. I let it warm up, not for any set time really, but probably about 5 minutes. I run out and start the car just before getting the kids into their coats.

I like to invite people to my house because I am more comfortable here, so I like people to come here. Also, I have more time on my hands as a SAHM to be able to do all the things needed to entertain, so I like that I can have my working friends/relatives over here for a break for them and so they don't have to do the work. Plus I come from a big family and like having people around! Also my house is a wee bit bigger than basically all but one of the people I know, so we just have more space to move about and I have a little playroom in the basement where the kids can go (and we have about 20 kids in my family).

Whoa, paper towels/cloth towels. I've got to go up and read the answers. I don't understand people that don't have both. For messy jobs, I use paper towels. For drying my hands, I use cloth towels. I wash my hands like 30 times a day, plus everytime I wash a dish I get my hands wet, so using paper towels to dry my hands would be EXTREMELY wasteful. My hubby and I lived in the Caribbean for a short time and paper towels were like $2.50 a roll (for what is comparable to the cheapest store brand out there). So I became VERY STINGY with paper towels.

my brother's partner doesn't like cloth towels because he says they are dirty. (well i have seen him handle meat then touch his towel---ICK! So yes, if that is what you are going to do with it, yes it is dirty!!! If that was me the towel would be immediately in the laundry) It drives me crazy when I go there not to have a real towel to dry my hands with.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:14 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,694,024 times
I've volunteered for the Red Cross, I was a Candy Striper in high school. I also volunteered for an organization that was funded by United Way. We donate our clothing and household items to Good Will every year. I think as times become tougher, these organizations will play a more important role in our lives. We are fuel that runs these agencies. I know that food pantries are running low in my area. I try purchase a few extra sale items so I can add to the local food drive.

Anytime I tried to warm up my car in advance I'd waste time looking for my keys adn be late for work. One step forward two steps back.

Company stresses me out. I seldom invite folks to my home, just friends and family.

I love Viva paper towels.

P.S. I think "Question of the Day" should have it's own sub cat. in "Other Topics" Forum. I could subscribe to the cat. and wouldn't have to look for the thread every day.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:16 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,318,936 times
Default Question of the day....

Favorite charity~

If this counts as a charity, the substantial amount of my giving goes to my church. Beyond that, I would say the next one would probably be Texans for Life.

Warm up the car? Actually, in Texas they have made it illegal to warm up your car unattended! (car theft prevention) I think someone down in Houston or south Texas (where it's warmer) sponsored this law! Contrary to popular belief, Dallas can get plenty cold at times! I think NCN said this too~ do you live in Texas also, NCN?

guests in the home? Fairly regular, but more for a meal or a party. Not overnight guests so much.

Last edited by kaykay; 10-15-2008 at 10:36 AM..

Old 10-15-2008, 09:25 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,689,744 times
What's your favorite charity? This could be one you donate money or time to:

That would be St. Jude's Children's Hospital in Memphis. They do outstanding work and are so very caring. My cousin's grandson had cancer at the age of 3 and it was a rare type of cancer where the dr's told them, if the chemo does not kill him, he has a good chance, but the chemo kills a high percentage of these children.

He stayed at the Ronald McDonald house when not in the hospital for over a year. Thankfully, he has been put into remission and the odds are in his favor. This was two years ago and the litte one is just fine.

For those of you in the cold regions. Do you let your car idle to warm up before going somewhere?

I live in a warm climate, but on those really cold mornings, I do go out and start the car, can't stand to get into a cold vehicle, takes me too long to warm up! Haven't done it too many times with a/c, but have on occassion.

and Why ?

Well, LOL, there are people in my home ALL the time usually. I work from home, so people are always in and out of my office. My son has his friends over all the time. And my family is always dropping by. I guess you could say I have a very open house, even on those lazy days when all I want to do is curl up in my pj's and a blanket and watch tv all day!!! Not happening around here, sigh.

There are those days when I would love to put out a sign to ward off friends and family, especially on the weekend when I try to have Me time.

Both. I use cloth towels every time I am in the kitchen, and paper towels come in handy with kids. Sandwiches go great on paper towels, they also work to keep the counter clean around the coffee pot and to help minor spills.

October 15, 1951 "I Love Lucy" debuts on CBS TV

I was such a Lucy fan while growing up! I have loved her in everything she has done.

I also remember that song, I was all of 14 when that song came out, and I sang it to my secret boyfriend all the time, too bad it was from my room and he never heard it, lol, or maybe it was a good thing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics