Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 09:54 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,951,845 times

Advertisements

Mother Teresa opened a small mission in Phoenix where a couple of nuns help people (mostly families) back on their feet and get them moving on their own. My wife and I continue to support this charity and mission because it is not well known and they are so needy. Everything goes to humanitarian needs and not one nickel is used for the gain of the church or any personal wealth. There is a need for both money, food, and clothing and we give all three each year.

When living in a cold region,,,, yes it was always necessary to warm up the car or truck. Defrosters had to work so you could see out the windshield. Cold winters are the hardest type of driving to adjust to. I always hated putting on tire chains in the cold snow and slush. ~ However,,,,, nothing is fun about a vehicle that is 140 degrees inside and 183 degrees on the dashboard. You burn you fingers touching anything that is metal and you can’t hold the steering wheel if the sun was shining on it. Ouch!

Paper towels in the kitchen but cloth towels for drying hands or dishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 10:47 AM

44,692 posts, read 61,844,221 times
Today's Question(s):
What's your favorite charity? This could be one you donate money or time to. My wife has Multiple Sclerosis and we donate most of our time and money to that cause. She is a chairperson for the local chapter and that keeps us busy. We also give to the American Cancer Society.

Extra Credit Question:
For those of you in the cold regions. Do you let your car idle to warm up so you don't freeze your "you know what off" before going somewhere?
How long do you let it "warm up" before heading out? N/A here in the desert.

Bonus Question:
Inviting folks into your home Yay or Nay ? Only on special occasions for family and friends.
and Why ?

Extra Bonus Question:
Paper towels or cloth towels in your kitchen? Both, paper to wipe spills, cloth to dry dishes.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:50 AM

54,500 posts, read 33,920,964 times
Quote:
Today's Question(s):

What's your favorite charity? This could be one you donate money or time to.

Extra Credit Question:

For those of you in the cold regions. Do you let your car idle to warm up so you don't freeze your "you know what off" before going somewhere?
How long do you let it "warm up" before heading out?

Bonus Question:

Inviting folks into your home Yay or Nay ?
and Why ?

Extra Bonus Question:

Paper towels or cloth towels in your kitchen?
I don't know if it's a favorite charity, but it's the one everybody is forced to donate to... it's the U.S. Government! I have others as well, The Fund For Victoria's Secret Girls College Education, The Rescue Fund For Unemployed Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders, Funds For Unemployed Oil Company Executives, and there's one charity that you can feel free to give to:

Magnum Mike's Foundation
21239 W. Sunset Blvd
Suite 200
Beverly Hills, CA 91099

Sorry, I'm only kidding as always.. - Actually, my tithes that go to churches are not considered charity, they're just tithes that get used to help the whole world know about the Gospel of Jesus Christ, and help those who are lost.

On inviting folks into my home, that's a yay, it's mainly my best friend whenever him and I have a cook-out, I've also had Livewire over as a special guest in my humble mansion 2 or 3 times, and we slept in seperate rooms of course. It's funny though, she never sent me to the doghouse when she was over here...

I keep paper and cloth towels in the kitchen.

Old 10-15-2008, 12:30 PM

2,689 posts, read 6,945,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karla with a K View Post
Today's Question(s):

Extra Credit Question:

Bonus Question:

and Why ?

Extra Bonus Question:

My favorite charity that we donate both money and volunteer time is Best Friends Animal Sanctuary in Kanab, Utah (Best Friends Animal Society Home Page). I have a soft spot for animals and a very cold spot for those that think it's a right to own them and then don't properly care for them.

I either don't live where it gets cold enough or I don't get up early enough to have to allow the car to "warm up". LOL

If I know you well enough, I'll invite you in. I take great pride in keeping a very neat and tidy house and I enjoy company enjoying what a beautiful home we have. But I do like a little "heads up" first. Not real keen on people just dropping by unexpected. Gimmie a call first and it's all good!

Both paper towles and cloth in the kitchen. Please. And thank you!

Old 10-15-2008, 01:53 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,600,261 times
Hi everyone...

Favorite Charity? For many years it was the Salvation Army. As a child in St. Louis, my Mom used to send me to their church once in awhile. Now, it's a toss up between, Alz., Diabetes, Heart and St. Jude.!

My HHR Chevy doesn't need a 'warm-up'. I do! We turned our garage into a family room/office, so vehicles sit out in the cold, cold Missouri winter weather. Poor baby. Oh the car, not me.

Invitations? Not as often as we used to. Live in the boondocks. Hubby's brothers come by once in awhile for a short visit.

Love Bounty paper towels. The little half sheets are very useful. Cloth used also.

Poems? Do you really want me to submit another one of those silly ditties of mine? I think not.

Who is addicted to CDF? Who is right, who is left?
No answer to this inquiry. Neither from you nor from me.
Just post your thoughts, the good and the bad.
Doesn't matter really, keep it light, never sad.
Karla with a k keeps us on our toes,
We post deep thoughts in writing and in prose.
Do we answer her quizzes, her wants, her posts?
Sure we all do, I am happy to boast.
Keep 'em coming dear girl, we wait everyday,
It's amazing what most of us have to say.
Nope, no poems, no rhymes I will submit,
Don't want to raise h..., or give anyone a fit.

Old 10-15-2008, 01:57 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,523,404 times
My favorite charity would probably be the open door mission a homeless shelter not to far away from where I live.

My favorite benefit would be the Race for the Cure, which I participate in yearly.

Extra Credit Question:

I have remote start and a 2 year old, so I usually use the remote start to warm up the car about 5 minutes before I go out there.

Bonus Question:

and Why ?

Um... I'm not sure of the context of this, but I host quite a few social gatherings at my home. However, if a stranger knocks on my door, I do not invite them inside. Safety first! When family is in town, they stay at our home because we have quite a bit of extra room for guests!

Extra Bonus Question:

We have both, I use paper towels for cleaning jobs and the cloth towels for cleaning wather or wiping wet hands.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:36 PM

7,731 posts, read 13,448,947 times
Today's Question(s):

The American Lung Association.

Extra Credit Question:

I let it warm up.

10 minutes.

Bonus Question:

Inviting folks into your home Yay or Nay?
No. Everyone is too conservative around here (the suburbs of Salt Lake) for me.

Extra Bonus Question:

Paper towels.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:37 PM

2,410 posts, read 6,013,449 times
Quote:
Today's Question(s):

Extra Credit Question:

Bonus Question:

and Why ?

Extra Bonus Question:

I probably am going to sound selfish, but I don't donate my money or time to charities. I can barely make my bills now and my time off of work is the only time I get to relax.

I let my car warm up about 10-15 minutes. I also make sure that the doors are locked (I have an extra key). Of course it only gets warmed up before I leave the house. If I'm at work or leaving a store it gets to run for about 2-3 minutes before I put it in gear and drive off.

Very very few people get invited into my home and that's just because I don't like people as a whole. The ones that get invited in are people I like. Not even family gets a free invite, I have to like them or they aren't comming into my home.

I use paper towels or sponges. The only "real" towels I own are bath towels. I keep one near the back door during the spring, fall and winter to clean my dogs feet when they come in from outside though.

Old 10-15-2008, 02:59 PM

54,500 posts, read 33,920,964 times
Favorite Charity... Hmmmm.. there was a girl I went to school with in 6th grade, her name was Charity.. and she was my favorite!

I'm sure if she reads this, she'll throw a Go To Your Room at me in an instant!

Old 10-15-2008, 03:26 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,564,064 times
My favorite charities are the local ones,Women and Children Safe House, Thrift Store, Food Pantry, Homeless Shelter and various other spontaneous neighbor helping neighbor things..I give to St Judes Childrens , also..

If there is ice on the windows, I will warm up the car long enough to melt it..

My home is always open to people who drop by for a chat and they are usually invited to stay and eat a meal..

I use both paper and cloth towels in the kitchen..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics