Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2009, 05:40 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,506,953 times

Advertisements

A continuation of the earlier story about the food pantry. They also collect clothing, toys, and household items for those who need them. Every year they use some of the cash donations they get to buy small, new toys for the kids in the families that are getting the food. When the parents come in to get the food, they get to pick out two new toys for each of the kids in the family. One of the local stores that is part of a larger chain (and no, it isn't one of the ones that advertises big time on TV) always makes a cash donation, so they always try to buy as many items there as they can. Anyhow, this year when the group got their call to come out and get their check, they were surprised to find it TWICE the size as normal. The store manager asked if they could go deposit the check and then come and buy a gift card with the money because of an employee promotion/competition they were having in the entire region, so they did. When they bought the gift card, they gave them a 5% discount on the card, so they basically got an additional 5% donation. Over the weekend they went to the store to buy the toys, and the store gave them an additional 15% discount off their purchase. That is the kind of community support that warms your heart.

Another story along with this. The couple who oversees the pantry got a phone call from the local elementary school. The school had some new, wrapped, gifts that had been brought in with the request that the school help find some needy children to receive the items. It seems one of the little girls in school was going to be celebrating her 6th birthday and she talked her parents into letting her have a party. They told her to make up a list of who she wanted to invite. However, when they saw her list with 28 names on it, they explained to her that it was impolite to throw yourself a party and invite that many guests, expecting a gift from each one. She promptly explained to them that she didn't want any gifts for herself, she wanted the gifts to be given to some kids that wouldn't get anything otherwise. So the school called and said they had 28 packages, all wrapped, with a tag describing what is inside, ready to help make 28 little boys and girls a little happier this Christmas.

I know this is kind of long and detailed, but it just makes me feel warm and tingly inside. I'm glad we decided to volunteer this year. It is really true. When you give of yourself, it comes back to you, multiplied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2009, 05:43 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,270,731 times
Thanks, aksarben and rrtechno for sharing your warm stories. Aks, you're alright in my book. And rr, that store is truly in the spirit.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:40 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,894,490 times
Yesterday I was able to get answers for a friend (single working mother) of my wife’s. Her car was having some repair issues again and she couldn’t understand what and why things were happening. After I talked with the mechanic and got information, then went to the state emissions inspection station and talked with them, I could understand what was going on. I’ve talked with her and made arrangements with everyone to see if they can text the car one more time and get a wavier because of the costs for the repair that is needed, and she can’t afford. The wavier on emissions would allow her two more years of driving this car, and that’s about all that it needed. Hopefully we’ll find something else for her that will be a better car before then. I wish there was a way to have benefited in the “clunkers” program, but she can’t afford a new car and this is about all that could be done for now. It’s a cycle of poverty were people just don’t and can’t get ahead, very sad.

Fingers crossed for monday testing, now that I got answers and paperwork together.

Old 12-12-2009, 09:46 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,859,446 times
Double digit temps today-maybe 20-YEAH!

Old 12-12-2009, 03:47 PM

51 posts, read 62,567 times
You Lusers . Today at me good news!
Last working day! Further holiday in a current of month.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:37 PM

I received a Christmas card (home made) from the 8 year old daughter of my wife’s friend from work. I don’t have grand-kids of my own but I’ve adopted (for the most part) her kids. They are outstanding students at school and never get into trouble at home. The mom is a single working mother who needs help in just getting by each day from time to time. I respect her and the three kids for so many reasons. But today was special because it wasn’t expected and it was the nicest Christmas card we’ve gotten in years. To think a young kid would take the time and do such a great job of it.

Old 12-18-2009, 08:52 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,738,345 times
i got a 8 ton, old 150 year old growth mahogany tree this week. some lady had it cut down in her yard..i told the lady like 3 years ago not to cut the tree, but she had it cut this week and i got the tree. can't wait to mill it up. it's going to make some nice furniture.

Old 12-19-2009, 09:04 AM

1,767 posts, read 2,399,829 times
Got an ice fishing shack and power auger to start a new endeavor that may add some healthy protein to our diet. (Down hill both ways to get to the lake, too...dontcha know!)

Old 12-19-2009, 09:43 PM

Finally got the tree up and the lights put on today. Mrs. Aks is happy with the way it looks for now and tomorrow we’ll add the ornaments. It takes so long to put them on but her mother is here visiting for several weeks over the holidays and she can help too.

Old 12-20-2009, 01:48 PM

3,969 posts, read 8,506,953 times
We were just going to have a small tree on a table this year since DW and I were going to be the only ones here during the Christmas season, but ... we got a call Friday from our realtor and there is another agent who wants to show our house tomorrow, so we put up the big tree this afternoon and are trying to make the house look a bit more festive. I think we will bake a batch of Cinnamon Rolls tomorrow just before they come. Thankful for those tubes from the Pillsbury Doughboy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics