Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2011, 11:47 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
I really don't expect any other parent to do anything for my child. Please. So now people stay home so they can help MY kids? No, thanks. Our school is full of pushy parents who love to brag about doing this and that, usually stuff that's not needed but gives them something to do. These aren't all sah parents, by the way.
you really have a special way of taking what someone says and twisting it into something else. That's quite a talent.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:53 AM

Quote:
I couldn't agree more, and this seems to be pretty evident on this board.
Go back to about Sept 26 in this thread if you want to see someone who really feels the need to defend her own choice, even though no one was saying there was anything wrong with it. That should set the tone for the rest of this discussion.

Old 10-03-2011, 11:54 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,184,279 times
Personally I'd prefer to be rich and happy. Unfortunately the rich part just doesn't seem to be in the cards for me. Even if I went back to work full time we wouldn't be bringing in that much more money and I would be unhappy being away from my kids and unhappy with the added stress so it looks like I'm just going to have to settle for comfortable and happy.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:26 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
It is a choice, and I, as a working Mom, always appreciated the work that SAHM Mom's did, they volunteered at the school, did elaborate birthday parties that my kids enjoyed, my DD was friends with a girl who had a SAHM, and I know she benefitted from that Mom at home, supervising both girls.

I don't think it should be an issue, some don't have the choice. As a single Mom, I had to work. No choice.

However, it always annoyed me, when my cousin, a SAHM, with a husband who owns an online pharmacy, acted like her kids were better, and smarter than mine because she stayed at home. Whatever.
There are always some like that. I also had zero choice about working. When my cousin had her first kid, I asked my aunt if she planned to return to work and my aunt said, "Oh NO! She wants to be home with her baby as much as possible!" Of course I was thinking, "And you think I DON'T?????"

I was a girl scout leader for seven years and, oddly, almost all of the girl scout leaders in my town were working moms. However, one of the SAHMs in my troop was wonderful--She looked stuff up on the Internet, wrote up any printed materials we needed, organized crafts (I suck at crafts, so this was greatly appreciated) and generally made life much easier for me and the other co-leader, also a working mom.

It all depends on the individual person, not whether they stay home or work.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:29 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,054,634 times
I'm sure she was also very appreciative of your efforts.

Old 10-03-2011, 01:43 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,904,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Winner, winner, chicken dinner!!

Old 10-03-2011, 02:11 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
you really have a special way of taking what someone says and twisting it into something else. That's quite a talent.
If by that you mean that I have a talent for taking what someone says, peeling the BS away from it, and getting to the truth, then yes, thank you.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:12 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
There are always some like that. I also had zero choice about working. When my cousin had her first kid, I asked my aunt if she planned to return to work and my aunt said, "Oh NO! She wants to be home with her baby as much as possible!" Of course I was thinking, "And you think I DON'T?????"

I was a girl scout leader for seven years and, oddly, almost all of the girl scout leaders in my town were working moms. However, one of the SAHMs in my troop was wonderful--She looked stuff up on the Internet, wrote up any printed materials we needed, organized crafts (I suck at crafts, so this was greatly appreciated) and generally made life much easier for me and the other co-leader, also a working mom.

Well put- totally agree.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
If by that you mean that I have a talent for taking what someone says, peeling the BS away from it, and getting to the truth, then yes, thank you.
nope. not what I meant.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:48 PM

572 posts, read 1,299,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I've never seen lack of money lead to 'less' stress - usually it leads to more. Financial insecurity (not saying this is you BTW) is VERY stressful.

A certain amount of money is necessary to live well. Not an obscene amount ~ certainly.

I would rather have rather be richer than poorer - but that's just me!
Let's put it this way:
I would rather live my current lifestyle, than have the money my brother has, we are not rich, but we are not poor. My husband has job security.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting