Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2012, 10:12 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinsterRufus View Post
I hear what you're saying, but the fact is, it is scary. And for that matter, you're doing the same thing, for opposite reasons. Saying it could "actually increase your risk of cancers" is not exactly a benign statement.

I'm not mitigating your right to an informed decision. But a ramification of that is that your child could pass a cancer inducing virus onto someone else. That's just a fact worth considering, IMO.
We all live together on this planet and risks of exposure are everywhere. Let's say that the vaccine works and my child doesn't get the vaccine and spreads it to another child who is unvaccinated. I think the parent of the unvaccinated child already agreed to those risks as I and my child did.
This isn't a good fight to shoot everyone up.
Yes, I am showing you that I can do the same thing as you on the other side simply to prove a point. We don't know, it's up to the individual to asses the risks for themselves and their children. Not yours.
Here is more fear from the other side.
Skin cancer fear, stay out of the sun, use sunscreen all the time. Oh, sorry, now we have an epidemic of people low on vitamin D and that causes more cancer than the sun as well as other scary stuff. So, back up, get a limited amount of sun exposer. Oh, and that sunscreen, oops, causes some internal cancers far more dangerous than skin cancer. Sorry, use it sparingly now.
If vitamin D3 levels among populations worldwide were increased, 600,000 cases of breast and colorectal cancers could be prevented each year, according to researchers from the Moores Cancer Center at the University of California, San Diego (UCSD).
Oh crap, you know that flu vaccine we were making you afraid not to get, well, now you shouldn't get it. Your baby might get ill, maybe even slip into a coma. Flu vaccination ban goes national after fever, convulsions in children

God forbid you don't want the dreaded swine flu, maybe you'd rather get narcolepsy?
Eurosurveillance - View Article

After my neighbor and I decided to take Viox the miracle pill for arthritis she mysteriously had a stroke without evidence of heart disease or blockage. Hmm, oh, silly doctors didn't realize it canceled out her blood pressure medicine and so well, now she doesn't have to worry about her arthritis because she is paralyzed on her right side and that is a distraction.

Now, I could say you are irresponsible for promoting something that you have no clear evidence doesn't do any damage, or prevent anything are you going to be responsible for the side effects? For the kid who still gets cervical cancer?
This is the point, it's silly to take that responsibility on, for you or for me. Stop it. People will make their own decisions about this shot and they should.

Last edited by PoppySead; 02-02-2012 at 10:30 AM..

Old 02-02-2012, 10:24 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
Has anyone crunched the numbers to compare any risks associated with getting the vaccine to the risk of getting cancer, or even pre-cancer requiring treatment? That's really the only way to evaluate if the benefit is worth the risk. Anyone?

Old 02-02-2012, 10:43 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
Any vaccine can be life threatening.
According to the CDC, as of the date of most recent information, there have been 40 million doses administered. There have been 71 reported deaths/. Not one has any data to support correlation forget causation.

Stubbing your toe can be deadly.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:45 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,604,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Has anyone crunched the numbers to compare any risks associated with getting the vaccine to the risk of getting cancer, or even pre-cancer requiring treatment? That's really the only way to evaluate if the benefit is worth the risk. Anyone?
No. It would take to long to get it on the shelf.

I believe you got this answer from Zimbochick. If you have side effects in America and can possibly get any health official to collaborate with you on the cause then you report it.
Health care is a business here, profits are made just like anything else, that gives motives other than health care, there are lawsuits to worry about on both sides.
This is why I wait and see how many lawsuits and complaints come in first. It's really the only way. Then I make as informed a decision as I feel comfortable with. I'm still waiting on this one, it's difficult for me. I need a bit more time and I have it as my girls are not sexually active yet.

CDC - Reports of Health Concerns Following HPV Vaccination - Vaccine Safety
You can keep an eye out for reports.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rezfreak View Post
In YOUR opinion they are safe, but I dont trust big pharma companies to tell me they are safe. They are in the business to make money, not save lives.
The CDC is pretty reliable.

Old 02-02-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnysee View Post
SOMEONE posted a one-liner that reiterated the falsehood that an osteopath is not a medical doctor. That post was in between two of mine, and is not there/here, anymore. It was not you? My apology for thinking it was.
The term "medical doctor" is reserved for people who have earned the degree MD (which is short for medical doctor). An osteopath would be referred to as a physician.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:08 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
The thing is that at present there are no documented risks to getting the vaccine, apart from pain at the injection site, some incidents of headaches, mild fever, nausea, etc.

The VAERS database is a great tool, but it also used by those against vaccines to document their opposition without understanding how the documentation process works. It is a passive database. Anyone can go and document reactions to vaccines, not necessarily health care providers. For example it is common procedure to document recent medical care on death certificates, a person may die in a drowning incident, but if they received the vaccine within 24 hours of their death, that may be included in the death certificate, and included in the VAERS entry, but is obviously not the cause of death.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
No. It would take to long to get it on the shelf.

I believe you got this answer from Zimbochick. If you have side effects in America and can possibly get any health official to collaborate with you on the cause then you report it.
Huh, I don't understand your post.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:21 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
This is why I wait and see how many lawsuits and complaints come in first. It's really the only way.
You base the health care decisions you make for you and your children on "lawsuits and complaints"? And you consider that the "only way"?

Really?

Old 02-02-2012, 11:33 AM

Quote:
This is why I wait and see how many lawsuits and complaints come in first. It's really the only way.
You make your medical decisions based on lawsuits and complaints? Are you really serious?

Old 02-02-2012, 12:20 PM

13,422 posts, read 9,952,903 times
Quote:
We all live together on this planet and risks of exposure are everywhere. Let's say that the vaccine works and my child doesn't get the vaccine and spreads it to another child who is unvaccinated. I think the parent of the unvaccinated child already agreed to those risks as I and my child did. This isn't a good fight to shoot everyone up.
Yes, that's correct. We all do share the risks and exposure. What's that got to do with anything? With that logic, nobody would have started using vaccines for anything, ever.

And you pointed out correctly that the parent has made the decision for their child to potentially pass the virus onto the other un-vaccinated child, should one of them be infected - which brings me to the point that by that stage, they probably aren't children anymore and you've made a decision that could affect them and their partners into adulthood. Are you actually including your child in this decision? Do they actually agree to these risks as a whole, or do you think the posters who have left one line responses such as "not my child" are going to make that decision for them?

Quote:
Yes, I am showing you that I can do the same thing as you on the other side simply to prove a point. We don't know, it's up to the individual to asses the risks for themselves and their children. Not yours.
I'm not making up scare tactics, it is a fact that people infect other people with this virus.

However, where did I say the shot is not up to the individual? It is, of course. But as we are dealing with a sexually transmitted disease, that individual decision effects more people than the individual. It's simply a matter of whether you choose to be socially aware of your decision. If you don't chose to consider that, then that's your prerogative.

Quote:
Here is more fear from the other side.
Skin cancer fear, stay out of the sun, use sunscreen all the time. Oh, sorry, now we have an epidemic of people low on vitamin D and that causes more cancer than the sun as well as other scary stuff. So, back up, get a limited amount of sun exposer. Oh, and that sunscreen, oops, causes some internal cancers far more dangerous than skin cancer. Sorry, use it sparingly now.
If vitamin D3 levels among populations worldwide were increased, 600,000 cases of breast and colorectal cancers could be prevented each year, according to researchers from the Moores Cancer Center at the University of California, San Diego (UCSD).
Oh crap, you know that flu vaccine we were making you afraid not to get, well, now you shouldn't get it. Your baby might get ill, maybe even slip into a coma. Flu vaccination ban goes national after fever, convulsions in children

God forbid you don't want the dreaded swine flu, maybe you'd rather get narcolepsy?
Eurosurveillance - View Article

After my neighbor and I decided to take Viox the miracle pill for arthritis she mysteriously had a stroke without evidence of heart disease or blockage. Hmm, oh, silly doctors didn't realize it canceled out her blood pressure medicine and so well, now she doesn't have to worry about her arthritis because she is paralyzed on her right side and that is a distraction.
No, medicine is not perfect, I never said it was. Yes, you should assess your risks. One of which, in this case, is that you can potentially spread a sexually transmitted disease. That's all.

Quote:
Now, I could say you are irresponsible for promoting something that you have no clear evidence doesn't do any damage, or prevent anything are you going to be responsible for the side effects? For the kid who still gets cervical cancer?
This is the point, it's silly to take that responsibility on, for you or for me. Stop it. People will make their own decisions about this shot and they should.
I'm not promoting anything and I'm not saying people shouldn't make their own decisions. I don't think there's anything wrong with considering your impact on your partners (some of whom the "child" may actually be in love with) when deciding which road to take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting