Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 09:27 PM

421 posts, read 880,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I am a grandparent raised four children, now with kids of their own. You can say "things are different nowadays or I'm out of touch" but after reading some of these replies I'm taken back by two main points. One being no child, or grandchild of mine, ever DEMANDED something without being told to go to their room and come back when they could discuss the issue appropriately. My other thought is why so many parents feel the child MUST have these clothes, phones, computers, etc. or otherwise will be less popular. In my opinion popularity is short lived and a lesson in earning what you want or need and "you can't have everything you want" is more important in life. When that child goes on to college it won't matter that in 6-7-8th grade they didn't have UGGs nor will those friendships with the so called popular group still exist. My one granddaughter (14) attends a private school (on scholarship, due to limited public school). She is surrounded by those whose parents are quite well off, doctors, lawyers, etc. Her parents are teachers. She knows the value of a dollar, loves to shop on sale, doesn't have a fancy phone, rather just a trac phone for emergencies. She has a IPOD which we gave her as a birthday/Christmas present. She was very happy to buy Bear Claw boots which we on sale and similar to the look of UGGs.

Sadly parents seem to be more interested in continually giving children what they want instead of the attention they need. It's harder to say "no" than it is to say "yes." Just sayin...

Moderator Cut. If the child does not have such items, they WILL become less popular unless they're already amazing at sports or extremely personable.

While each individual event likely has its own popularity dips and dives, if you never get anything that others have, your trendline becomes unpopular and it's hard to shake that.

"You can't have everything you want" isn't actually true and it's particularly unfair to structure the situation to ensure the kid won't get what he wants.

While it is true that small events from middle school won't matter in college, it DOES matter now to your kid and do you want them to suffer? And you can't know for sure if the popular group will break up or not. You're just speculating based on no information.

Last edited by Jaded; 09-12-2013 at 02:52 PM.. Reason: Flaming
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 07:01 AM

3,279 posts, read 5,320,320 times
I prefer not SPOILING them & lavishing them with every luxury on the planet they don't really need.

LRH

Last edited by Jaded; 09-12-2013 at 04:02 PM.. Reason: Removed deleted quote

Old 09-12-2013, 08:13 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,194,471 times
May my children learn the lesson that of all the things it is worthwhile to be, popular is not one of them. And yes, one leson that is important to learn is that you CAN'T have everything your want. That is an honest to goodness fact of life. Learning it is actually going to lessen suffering in the long run.

Last edited by Jaded; 09-12-2013 at 04:03 PM.. Reason: Removed deleted quote

Old 09-12-2013, 08:28 AM

16,709 posts, read 19,419,710 times
Default Spoken like a true debutante

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamingo_pink View Post
If the child does not have such items, they WILL become less popular unless they're already amazing at sports or extremely personable.

While each individual event likely has its own popularity dips and dives, if you never get anything that others have, your trendline becomes unpopular and it's hard to shake that.

"You can't have everything you want" isn't actually true and it's particularly unfair to structure the situation to ensure the kid won't get what he wants.

While it is true that small events from middle school won't matter in college, it DOES matter now to your kid and do you want them to suffer? And you can't know for sure if the popular group will break up or not. You're just speculating based on no information.
Materialistic much?

Last edited by Jaded; 09-12-2013 at 04:04 PM..

Old 09-12-2013, 08:58 AM

384 posts, read 594,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
Materialistic much?
Yes, because like it or not, nearly every middle school student is materialistic to a degree. Like I said, you can try and teach them about how Uggs and Apple products are ripoffs, but this means next to nothing to their peers. Materialism is gospel in middle and high school, that's very unlikely to change.

Old 09-12-2013, 10:16 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,194,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPDAL View Post
Yes, because like it or not, nearly every middle school student is materialistic to a degree. Like I said, you can try and teach them about how Uggs and Apple products are ripoffs, but this means next to nothing to their peers.
Being resistant to peer pressure is one of THE most important lessons. If one of their peers is going to judge them for the brand of their clothing rather than who they are, then that is a kid well worth avoiding. (See thread about a grown man raising 20 somethings to still cave to pressure.)

There are plenty of other parents like those commenting here whose kids suffer the likewise misery of having to grow up to be decent people. Other parents who recognize that their job is not to please and mollify their weakest motivations but to raise them up in preparation for the world. My kids tend to hang out with those people's kids. In the long run, they are happier for it knowing that their friends are their friends, not waiting for the other fickle shoe to drop from the kids whose worth is measured in such tenuous terms.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:16 AM

384 posts, read 594,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Being resistant to peer pressure is one of THE most important lessons. If one of their peers is going to judge them for the brand of their clothing rather than who they are, then that is a kid well worth avoiding. (See thread about a grown man raising 20 somethings to still cave to pressure.)

There are plenty of other parents like those commenting here whose kids suffer the likewise misery of having to grow up to be decent people. Other parents who recognize that their job is not to please and mollify their weakest motivations but to raise them up in preparation for the world. My kids tend to hang out with those people's kids. In the long run, they are happier for it knowing that their friends are their friends, not waiting for the other fickle shoe to drop from the kids whose worth is measured in such tenuous terms.
Please show me one middle schooler who isn't even slightly materialistic. Must not be sheltered and /or helicopter-parented.
Also, peer pressure doesn't always come from peers themselves. Just seeing the friend having something that your child likes can be a strong motivator for them to desire it.
Since I know everyone is think that my parents pay for everything, they don't. They only pay my college tuition, I pay all other expenses. iPhones and Abercrombie clothes are still worth the hard work, even if I make an average college-age income. So I don't know where this thought of that once you have to pay for everything, your desires drop dead. Not for me at least.

Old 09-12-2013, 11:51 AM

3,138 posts, read 2,781,311 times
It's difficult not to fall in line with the herd mentality...It certainly starts in kindergarten, and then extends to middle school...then into high school (where it's at its worst, arguably), and then inevitably into adulthood.

Kids pressure each other, and then the kids who don't have xy then feel pressured and pass that pressure/expectation on to their parents.

Be the parent and draw the line. Does your child REALLY need those ugs or the iphone? IF you do end up buying him/her those things, where exactly will the line be drawn?

At the very end of the day, you're still the parent and you should never let your child dictate /demand anything of you that isn't a basic necessity. Just my 2 cents..

Old 09-12-2013, 12:04 PM

I take a different viewpoint. All of my life, my family and I have been poor (and I do mean poor). But with lots of hard work and a wise career choice, this has changed. Within the next few years I will be extremely wealthy (and I do say this humbly) and will have children. If my child is asking for these things, I will NOT buy them...Will I be able to afford them? Of course! But as the parent/adult, my personal priorities, financial-wise, arent going to be spent on getting my middle school child an overpriced telephone that he/she will be using for texting, games, and instant messaging, and not necessarily for calling me or my husband. This is true of any vain item that his/her peers pressure him/her to believe is important or necessary...lt's bologna.

In the end, the line should be drawn in terms of the parent's priorities, not the child's.

Last edited by Jaded; 09-12-2013 at 04:11 PM.. Reason: Removed deleted post

Old 09-12-2013, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMom View Post
My daughter came home today and demanded that we start buying her name brands, claiming that "EVERYONE (emphasis added) has Uggs, iphones, etc." Is this just typical middle school behavior?
OP, I do hope that you find a solution to your daughter's demands. It's difficult not to cave into her demands/pressures b/c i know you want to make her happy. But do what's best for her, in the end, irrespective of whether or not you can afford the shoes/phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting