Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 09:09 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Did you laugh at her and point in the direction of a lawn mowing job or paper route?
This.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2013, 09:13 PM

37,626 posts, read 46,035,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPDAL View Post
Okay, but you're buying the store brand to teach a lesson? How does that make sense? My aunt is always buying the Target brand for her son but is always complaining that the shirts fall apart and the pants rip too easily. Now once I bought a target polo shirt out of sheer convenience but it was the last time I ever did that. The collar made my neck itch and one of the buttons unraveled and fell off after wearing it a few times. Meanwhile, NONE of my Abercrombie/American Eagle/Lands End/Hugo Boss (pilot uniform) etc have ever ripped, had buttons fall off, etc. These brands charge their prices for quality, not because they want to festoon peoples' money.
My son loved Target's clothes (he STILL buys there and he is almost 21). I buy clothes there myself quite a bit. We have never had a problem with the quality. I suppose there ARE some lower quality items there, but the quality of our purchases has never been a problem.

Old 09-08-2013, 09:20 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,198,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMom View Post
My daughter came home today and demanded that we start buying her name brands, claiming that "EVERYONE (emphasis added) has Uggs, iphones, etc." Is this just typical middle school behavior?
Demanding? Nope. Not with anyone who shares my familial DNA.

Maciesmom was spot on as usual. When I was in middle school the big thing was wire rim eyeglasses. I never demanded them. I did, however, say that I liked them and would like to have a pair.

Got them for Christmas. My parents made a point of letting me know that one reason I got them was because I was not a whiny, demanding seventh grader. The next year I was admiring pea coats. Pea coats were a huge deal. Got one of those too. (And it was a knock off. We couldn't afford to shop at Judy's which was where all the cool girls shopped. I was happy as heck with my knock off pea coat because from a VERY young age my siblings and I were taught what a budget was and that food was more important that having a wardrobe from Judy's. Hint. Hint.)

Last edited by DewDropInn; 09-08-2013 at 09:32 PM..

Old 09-08-2013, 10:08 PM

6,885 posts, read 11,249,758 times
Smile Meet her halfway

I would tell my daughter - yes, those are nice jeans ($138) but we'll only pay half. All of a sudden - she was like, I'll think about them.

The next day, they were forgotten.

She did not have what her friends had but she had enough. It is a tough age.

I'm all for school uniforms though - it would solve a lot of problems!

Old 09-08-2013, 10:34 PM

382 posts, read 804,652 times
Move to an area where people can't afford UGGS and iPhones. Moderator Cut.

Last edited by Jaded; 09-10-2013 at 02:14 AM.. Reason: Inappropriate and off-topic

Old 09-08-2013, 10:47 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,359,422 times
Quote:
My daughter came home today and demanded that we start buying her name brands, claiming that "EVERYONE (emphasis added) has Uggs, iphones, etc." Is this just typical middle school behavior?
Middle school kids are also having sex, should your daughter join in as well?

Old 09-08-2013, 10:50 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,270,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HollaGeo View Post
Move to an area where people can't afford UGGS and iPhones.
I agree with this. If you live in a wealthy area, this is going to continue through 12th grade. If you think Uggs and iPhones are a big deal, wait till the kids' cars in the school parking lots are Mercedes and BMWs that are nicer than any car you will ever drive.

Last edited by Jaded; 09-10-2013 at 02:15 AM..

Old 09-08-2013, 10:52 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,290,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
Middle school kids are also having sex, should your daughter join in as well?
That's pretty rare at that age really.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:21 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
It's all about fitting in and, to a point, you can help your kids do that. While I'm not advocating running out and buying them the latest and greatest whatever you can keep this in mind when buying a Christmas or birthday gift or whatever. If you are going to buy boots for you daughter, for example, take her preference for UGGS into consideration and BAM! Best Christmas ever

Obviously you can't and shouldn't do anything outside your economic comfort zone but for most people there is a way to find a balance with stuff like this. I'm never impressed by parents who DON'T consider stuff like this and think it's a badge of honor or something. It's not, it's just them flexing their muscle at their kids expense. I've seen it in person.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:23 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,273,394 times
Quote:

Quick fix it is called: Being a parent and saying "No", especially if she demands such things.
Follow up the no with the statement, when you get a job you can purchase anything you can afford to pay for yourself.

I might also ask her if everyone jumped into freezing cold water naked if she would do the same thing because "EVERYONE (emphasis added)" is doing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting