Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2013, 08:39 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,715,742 times

Advertisements

The OP hasn't been back, but when my teenager asks for name brands I try to use it to talk about what it is about the "Uggs" tag on the back of the boots that makes them more desireable than another brand. Why is a Vera Bradley purse so much better than a Target knockoff? Why do these brands make you feel a certain way about yourself? I also told her flat out that I'd never pay $200 for boots when a $40 pair would do the same thing, but she was free to save her own money for something like that.

Starting last year, I gave her a fixed budget for school clothes and told her that if she wanted to buy one pair of expensive jeans or 4 pairs of "other" jeans it was up to her. We also started our shopping at a resale shop that specializes in teen clothes. She became resourceful and lowered her expectations fairly quickly.

I've given her stuff she's coveted for her birthday, and had her work off the price of some other things she really wanted.

Kids are not alone in their desire to keep up with the Jones's, or in seeking affirmation of their value as a person from material goods. Might as well talk about it when you get a chance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 08:46 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,052,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I like them too. I guess Im white trash....
Wearing UGGs is the closest thing you'll ever get to wearing a hug on your feet. They are not cute, you certainly don't wear them to be fashionable... but they are so super comfortable that you don't care how goofy they look. Happy feet = good life.

As for the OP's ?: If you don't want to buy those things for her, yet she still wants them, suggest she save her own money and buy those things for herself. It's what we've always done with our kids (who are now in middle school and high school) and it's worked out very well.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:15 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,194,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
The OP hasn't been back, but when my teenager asks for name brands I try to use it to talk about what it is about the "Uggs" tag on the back of the boots that makes them more desireable than another brand. Why is a Vera Bradley purse so much better than a Target knockoff? Why do these brands make you feel a certain way about yourself? I also told her flat out that I'd never pay $200 for boots when a $40 pair would do the same thing, but she was free to save her own money for something like that.
Love it.

Quote:
Starting last year, I gave her a fixed budget for school clothes and told her that if she wanted to buy one pair of expensive jeans or 4 pairs of "other" jeans it was up to her. We also started our shopping at a resale shop that specializes in teen clothes. She became resourceful and lowered her expectations fairly quickly.
Love this too.

Quote:
I've given her stuff she's coveted for her birthday, and had her work off the price of some other things she really wanted.

Kids are not alone in their desire to keep up with the Jones's, or in seeking affirmation of their value as a person from material goods. Might as well talk about it when you get a chance.
Love this too!

Old 09-10-2013, 10:43 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,379,266 times
I commented on a bus load of teenagers that weren't on any phones. Turns out their school doesn't allow phones.
They're too busy using their time for studying. Guess who is going to inherit the earth?!
My son's school also didn't have phones. He was too busy studying.

Consider this: At the Olympics in 2010 and yesterday on public transit (Calgary, AB) the females were the ones compulsively on their phones. All ages. The men with few exceptions were either talking to each other or listening to music. What's that all about?? Compulsive/Obsessive once brain programmed? You'll need intervention.
Business Idea: Cell Phone Confiscation Rehab. !!!

Old 09-10-2013, 10:55 AM

384 posts, read 594,587 times
Moderator Cut
I was never made fun of, but maybe that was because my parents bought me A&F, American Eagle, Jansport, Nike Lunarglide and other name brands.

Moderator Cut

Last edited by Jaded; 09-11-2013 at 04:00 AM.. Reason: Removed deleted post and references to it

Old 09-10-2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPDAL View Post
I was never made fun of, but maybe that was because my parents bought me A&F, American Eagle, Jansport, Nike Lunarglide and other name brands.
So... the answer is to teach our kids to be selfish little twits who require the brand names? I think the object lesson here is lost on me.

Last edited by Jaded; 09-11-2013 at 04:02 AM..

Old 09-10-2013, 12:51 PM

384 posts, read 594,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
So... the answer is to teach our kids to be selfish little twits who require the brand names? I think the object lesson here is lost on me.
You can teach and preach forever about how brand names are ripoffs, but brand name is king in school and you aren't going to be able to change that. I can't believe you would force your kids to wear the Target brand to teach some useless lesson about economics, thus the other kids ridicule them. Also, better to be selfish than to be a doormat.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:04 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,286,655 times
Quote:
You can teach and preach forever about how brand names are ripoffs, but brand name is king in school and you aren't going to be able to change that. I can't believe you would force your kids to wear the Target brand to teach some useless lesson about economics, thus the other kids ridicule them. Also, better to be selfish than to be a doormat.
Mmmm, better to teach ones child to be an individual, than to teach them to be a sheep . Kids get picked on wearing name brands or not, nothing you will do changes that fact. The only thing you can do is teach your kids how to handle it when it happens.

Last edited by ~HecateWhisperCat~; 09-10-2013 at 01:14 PM..

Old 09-10-2013, 01:13 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,712,192 times
Quote:
Living within your means ... it's a radical concept. All the cool kids are doing it.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Economics lessons are useless compared to lessons in the appropriateness of bending to peer pressure. I get it. I feel educated now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting