Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 06:12 PM

4,385 posts, read 4,238,175 times

Advertisements

He needs to learn the meaning of the expression "There but for the grace of God go I". Even if he doesn't believe in God, he needs to understand that but for other circumstances of birth, he could be one of the people whom he scorns. I would be sorely tempted to relieve him of the benefits of his good fortune until he understands what it's like for the less fortunate. They usually end up where they started, just as he is like to end up where he began.

Reminds me of this song that haunts me every time I hear it:
Everlast What It's Like

Old 08-03-2014, 06:13 PM

35 posts, read 40,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
So you've given him a pass on his poor attitude and behavior because "he's smart and has a bright future" . Oh good just what we need; more people who feel they are above the behavior expectations of society because they are just so intelligent.
He will conform when he wants a result. His teachers wrote in their comments that he is such a nice and diligent students that came with the grades that he wanted. My daughter tells me that he sweettalks girls easily.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:15 PM

189 posts, read 275,843 times
He sounds like a Ted Bundy in the making.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
He needs to learn the meaning of the expression "There but for the grace of God go I". Even if he doesn't believe in God, he needs to understand that but for other circumstances of birth, he could be one of the people whom he scorns. I would be sorely tempted to relieve him of the benefits of his good fortune until he understands what it's like for the less fortunate. They usually end up where they started, just as he is like to end up where he began.

Reminds me of this song that haunts me every time I hear it:
Everlast What It's Like
His belief that everyone is in control of their destiny and their state is a result of their actions. If I cut him off he wouldn't care. He makes money through tutoring,hunting, and working at the garage.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonyT View Post
He sounds like a Ted Bundy in the making.
Seems a little extreme. He is never had any history of violence although I fear that its based more off pragmatism then morals.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:18 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina545 View Post
He will conform when he wants a result. His teachers wrote in their comments that he is such a nice and diligent students that came with the grades that he wanted. My daughter tells me that he sweettalks girls easily.
You might be describing a personality disorder in the making. Time will tell.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:20 PM

Ask your brother to take him under his wing and mentor your son, specifically in the area of social behavior, manners, empathy and ethics.[/quote]

My brother is one of the most ruthless men I've ever seen, that's a terrible idea. They more or less share the same beliefs.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:22 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tina545 View Post
My brother is one of the most ruthless men I've ever seen, that's a terrible idea. They more or less share the same beliefs.
Interesting. That means this personality runs in the family.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You might be describing a personality disorder in the making. Time will tell.
Being manipulative does not constitute a personality disorder.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Interesting. That means this personality runs in the family.
I don;t think this was inborn. I think for my son at least, he developed it over time. His mindset is survival of the fittest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting