Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2020, 01:52 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,634,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
I think physical toys are dying faster with all the gadgets nowadays. I have seen generations of kids today no longer interested in buying toys. Rather have the phone or ipad. There's pros and cons to it.

I think the con is the lack of engagement with the real world and it's bad for vision. Kids need to be outdoors more because we live in a physical world not a virtual world. It will hurt social and mental states of kids when they are engulfed into the virtual world.

Not to mention we all need the sun and fresh air. If they don't get fresh air and sun their bodies will be weak. The sun's rays provide so much beneficial light for the retina and our skin's health. Fresh air help us build our immune system. If kids stay home they will become very allergic and their vision will be impaired faster than middle age folks.
What? Yes, we need to be in the sun to produce Vitamin D. Sun exposure also leads to skin cancer. Those screenings and biopsies are oodles of fun let me tell you.

Being indoors does NOT make you allergic. It doesn't impair your vision either. I was born with a ton of allergies. As a child who played outdoors almost everyday, I developed even more. This happens to many people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2020, 10:40 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,958,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
So? My husband is 50 and still has his Star Wars toys of his youth. What he does with them is his business. He got a new Star Wars toy this year. That was what he wanted as a birthday present so that's what he got. He could have the figures and ships all lined up having battles in his office. I don't care. Makes him happy and that's what matters.
My point is, like your husband, this kid is now an adult and maybe out of the house. The thread is no irrelevant.

Old 11-01-2020, 05:24 PM

9,896 posts, read 4,659,887 times
Playing with toys is one thing but as long as the "adult" has the maturity of an adult and does not act like a child emotionally that should be ok. I have more problems with "adults" throwing temper tantrums or whining and moaning they didn't get their way. Playing with toys is a hobby, temper tantrum are childish.

Old 11-04-2020, 08:13 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,291,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsFan20 View Post

Anyway, he is very smart academically, but emotionally seems to be years behind the other kids. He still plays with his toys and will not let go of his stuffed animals he has had since he was a little child. He literally still sleeps with one specific one.

At what point should I be legitimately concerned about this? It's not normal. I have brought it up to his mom too and she sees nothing wrong with it. I see them as enabling it.

Who says it's not normal??
Mom's just loving her son the way he is...not "enabling" him...enabling him to be what?
why do you want to change him?
Is it to please you?
Accept your son the way he is...You sound like one of those parents who feel if their son doesn't enjoy playing sports there's something wrong with him... those who pick and choose what they feel their child should like and do.
Let him be
enjoy him...he's not YOU!! Let him be "different" if he wants...you try and change him and he'll resent you, and you'll lose his trust.

Old 11-04-2020, 08:15 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,291,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
My point is, like your husband, this kid is now an adult and maybe out of the house. The thread is no irrelevant.
An old thread can still be very "relevant"..as feelings, and thoughts, and opinions about the same situation can arise over and over.

Old 11-04-2020, 06:05 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
Hehe. I know this is a very old thread but my son wouldn't let me get rid of a stuffed animal he's had since he was born. He didn't 'play' with it ever so it never got ratty, but it sat on his bed 24/7. Now he's 30 and he still has it, along with his Star Wars figures, in a box somewhere in his closet.

Old 11-17-2020, 09:52 PM

6,384 posts, read 5,015,361 times
I think norms around this are changing. I'm 26 and a lot of my friends still watch Disney movies and play Pokemon and Mario games, and these are emotionally well-adjusted people with jobs. I don't think it correlates that much with other aspects of "maturity".

I still sleep with the same stuffed koala I got when I was 9. He's still in great condition!

Old 11-17-2020, 10:36 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsFan20 View Post
I have a 14 year old son who primarily lives with me, his mother has him during the summer and on most weekends, and some holidays.

Our divorce was amicable and happened when he was 8, we live in the same town and there's not much bad blood between us. He was not really traumatized by the divorce.

Anyway, he is very smart academically, but emotionally seems to be years behind the other kids. He still plays with his toys and will not let go of his stuffed animals he has had since he was a little child. He literally still sleeps with one specific one.

I have tried to separate him from the toys in the last couple of years, but he wont. He has boxes of old toys he only occasionally plays with, and TONS of legos.

I figured that he would eventually be growing out of this phase, he's in 8th grade, going into high school next year, but he's 14 going on 10 emotionally.

At what point should I be legitimately concerned about this? It's not normal. I recently started asking him what he wants for Christmas, and let him create an Amazon "wish list". It's full of toys and a couple more stuffed animals.

I stopped buying him toys a few years back. I won't do it. I buy him books, and video games, board games which he also loves, challenging stuff. His mom and other relatives still do. I have brought it up to his mom too and she sees nothing wrong with it. I see them as enabling it.

Looking back on myself at that age, I gave up toys when I was about 10 or 11, maybe sooner. He has no diagnosed mental deficiencies or handicaps, I just don't know what to do. He's always been socially awkward, but honestly I was too at that age, I know middle school can be rough. But he's way behind and I am worried. This christmas list thing really has me concerned... he turns 15 in March

Oh, also, girls. Is still of the mindset that girls have cuties, wants nothing to do with them. Recently went to a middle school dance just so he didn't have to ride the bus home (no, I had to pick him up). I asked him if he danced with any girls, or talked to them, he said, oooh, no. I asked what did you do the whole time, he sat on the bleachers and read a book.
Maybe you could find something for the two of you to do together, play video games, go on bike rides, learn a new skill together? I don't think what he's doing is odd and I would hope that you don't make him feel bad about it.

Old 11-18-2020, 06:53 AM

3,881 posts, read 4,132,067 times
when they decide to.

Old 11-21-2020, 12:40 PM

32,665 posts, read 48,091,772 times
My son just turned 50 and he still plays with toys. His toys have gotten bigger and noisier as he has gotten older. His newest toy is a Polaris with a snow blower and my son waits eagerly for even a tiny snow fall so he can get the toy out and play with it. There is never any snow on my driveway. Sometimes he has to rush so he can get the snow before it melts off.

Healthy people play and play very often involves toys.

Really dad, back off. Love him and let him know he is loved and quite trying to mold him into someone he is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting