Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2020, 10:34 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,634,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
The kid is now 19 people.
So? My husband is 50 and still has his Star Wars toys of his youth. What he does with them is his business. He got a new Star Wars toy this year. That was what he wanted as a birthday present so that's what he got. He could have the figures and ships all lined up having battles in his office. I don't care. Makes him happy and that's what matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2020, 06:35 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,757,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
So? My husband is 50 and still has his Star Wars toys of his youth. What he does with them is his business. He got a new Star Wars toy this year. That was what he wanted as a birthday present so that's what he got. He could have the figures and ships all lined up having battles in his office. I don't care. Makes him happy and that's what matters.
The post is saying this thread is 5 years old. The kid is an adult, the OP is no longer around.

Old 10-27-2020, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
The post is saying this thread is 5 years old. The kid is an adult, the OP is no longer around.
And? I was responding to someone who quoted me this week. Who cares if the kid is an adult and plays with toys?

Old 10-28-2020, 10:53 AM

15,072 posts, read 10,113,138 times
Legos has got to be one of the best toys out there.. a balance between entertainment and educational.

I bet the OP would have a difficult time assembling one of the more advanced kits of Legos...

Stop it... let people be. let people be happy. Why pick on boys? There are women who collect/dress up dolls....

Old 10-28-2020, 01:57 PM

8 posts, read 27,625 times
I think he will grow up and forget about toys

Old 10-28-2020, 09:12 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,757,428 times
Quote:
And? I was responding to someone who quoted me this week. Who cares if the kid is an adult and plays with toys?
The person you were responding to was saying the OP is from five years ago. The kid is now an adult and can do what he wants. Not arguing with you....

Old 10-29-2020, 01:30 AM

2,074 posts, read 1,645,949 times
Quote:
My husband is 50 years old. For our anniversary this year, he wanted a specific Star Wars figure. Guess what he got for our anniversary? Yup, that figure. For all I know, he has the guy dancing on his desk during meetings at work.
A few years ago I went to Disney World and bought my nephews some Star Wars figures and spaceships. I thought the light sabre was a nice touch. Even though I was getting it for "them" I almost felt like I was buying all that for myself - lol. I did give it to them though - the next generation of Star Wars toy collectors.

Over time, I think toys as a hobby gets replaced by other adult hobbies like an obsession with 4x4 offroad trucks, piloting, surfing, ATV riding, hiking/climbing, etc. Sports could also be a natural evolution away from '"toys" for children.

The way these adult guys review 4x4 offroad trucks in the links below makes it easy to envision them with toys when they were children - lol. I say that because I evolved in that way. I went from toys like Star Wars to bikes (early adolescence) then ATVs (teens) then a Ford Ranger (early to late 20s). Now, in middle age I like to go up the mountains in a Colorado 4x4. These guys reviewed a modern Ford Ranger which was reintroduced to the market. They really do seem to treat this hobby like toys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-Z2aq5pSUw&t=835s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAxK5eA4rz8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAxK5eA4rz8

In summary, the answer is "yes" - kids should move on from toys at some point in adolescence - perhaps by 8th grade or so. Otherwise, they'll likely get teased for it by other kids and parents.

Old 10-30-2020, 07:35 AM

20,550 posts, read 17,722,651 times
I think physical toys are dying faster with all the gadgets nowadays. I have seen generations of kids today no longer interested in buying toys. Rather have the phone or ipad. There's pros and cons to it.

I think the con is the lack of engagement with the real world and it's bad for vision. Kids need to be outdoors more because we live in a physical world not a virtual world. It will hurt social and mental states of kids when they are engulfed into the virtual world.

Not to mention we all need the sun and fresh air. If they don't get fresh air and sun their bodies will be weak. The sun's rays provide so much beneficial light for the retina and our skin's health. Fresh air help us build our immune system. If kids stay home they will become very allergic and their vision will be impaired faster than middle age folks.

Old 10-30-2020, 12:24 PM

6,460 posts, read 7,803,024 times
I'm a father of a 13 yr old boy. I don't think this is anything that should matter as much as it seems to and I don't see it as a sign of him being an outcast. My kid is very different than yours and there are many times I wish he had a softer side and enjoyed some of the things you are saying your kid enjoys. He's like Drago - everything he touches, he destroys. Grass is always greener I guess.

He's got a ton more growing to do. Just my opinion.

Best of luck OP.

Old 10-30-2020, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
A few years ago I went to Disney World and bought my nephews some Star Wars figures and spaceships. I thought the light sabre was a nice touch. Even though I was getting it for "them" I almost felt like I was buying all that for myself - lol. I did give it to them though - the next generation of Star Wars toy collectors.

Over time, I think toys as a hobby gets replaced by other adult hobbies like an obsession with 4x4 offroad trucks, piloting, surfing, ATV riding, hiking/climbing, etc. Sports could also be a natural evolution away from '"toys" for children.

The way these adult guys review 4x4 offroad trucks in the links below makes it easy to envision them with toys when they were children - lol. I say that because I evolved in that way. I went from toys like Star Wars to bikes (early adolescence) then ATVs (teens) then a Ford Ranger (early to late 20s). Now, in middle age I like to go up the mountains in a Colorado 4x4. These guys reviewed a modern Ford Ranger which was reintroduced to the market. They really do seem to treat this hobby like toys.

In summary, the answer is "yes" - kids should move on from toys at some point in adolescence - perhaps by 8th grade or so. Otherwise, they'll likely get teased for it by other kids and parents.

The toys just change. They get bigger, louder, and far more expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting