Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2015, 08:20 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Meals are extra.

A 5-Day Pass to most of the above with Hop-On, Hop-Off bus costs $269.

So unless they are going to a Broadway show every night or the airline tickets are quite high, I wonder why it would cost $24,000 to take 12 teens to NYC for 5 days.

$ 4,500 - $300/night/hotel x 5 nights x 3 rooms
$ 6,000 - $500/plane ticket x 12 students
$ 3,600 - $300/City pass + metro tickets x 12 students
$15,100

Surely, they are not spending $9K on Broadway tickets.

None of this adds up.
I didn't want to get into a hair splitting argument on the cost, but many of the things listed in that list are cheap or free. The Met for example is a suggested donation. I generously give $1, the Met gets a TON of private money. Top of the Rock is free. Most other museums are free with a student ID. Going to see Lincoln Center is free. Even broadway tickets can be rather cheap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2015, 08:34 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,746,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohiogirl22 View Post
I didn't want to get into a hair splitting argument on the cost, but many of the things listed in that list are cheap or free. The Met for example is a suggested donation. I generously give $1, the Met gets a TON of private money. Top of the Rock is free. Most other museums are free with a student ID. Going to see Lincoln Center is free. Even broadway tickets can be rather cheap.
Top of the Rock isn't free. (unless there is a part I am not aware of) The MET doesn't appear to be free either. I was just listing them. We have no idea what the plan for the NYC trip is. Personally I don't think $2000 is crazy. Did the OP say meals were extra? I missed that.

Last edited by veuvegirl; 12-23-2015 at 08:44 AM..

Old 12-23-2015, 08:44 AM

4,978 posts, read 5,769,366 times
Quote:
Top of the Rock is definitely not free. Worth it...but not free!

Old 12-23-2015, 08:46 AM

10,196 posts, read 9,886,399 times
I could easily spend 2k in 5 days in NYC. But...I don't think the cost was at all the point of this thread.

Old 12-23-2015, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeachSalsa View Post
Top of the Rock is definitely not free. Worth it...but not free!
I think you can go up for free and not see the observation deck, and just look out the window or something. Not sure anymore.

Old 12-23-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
The MET doesn't appear to be free either.
The MET is a FOR SURE suggested donation. I pay $1 every time

Old 12-23-2015, 09:14 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
Easy there is so much to do in NYC and it isn't cheap:

Plane ticket
Hotel rooms
Three meals for five days
Museums/The Met, Natural History Museum, MOMO, Guggenheim
The Lincoln Center
Broadway Show
Top of the Rock
Empire State Building
Circle Line Tour
Bus Tour
A day trip to the shore
Coney Island
Etc
Etc
Etc
Quote:
The MET is a FOR SURE suggested donation. I pay $1 every time

Ohiogirl, you donate $1 each time but do you make an advance reservation or just walk in with a group of 11 teenagers and several adults and expect that all of you are able to sit together? And, what would the chaperons do if there is room for three kids here and two kids there and five kids on a totally different floor and four kids in a different section, etc. ? I am sure that the parents expect them to sit together so that the chaperones can supervise them.

I bet that some of the things that are free or low cost for one or two people in NY, who don't mind waiting in line or would not care if they don't get in that day, would cost something else for advance tickets or for the group to be part of a docet led tour. Heck, even my local art museum costs $15 each for students, plus an extra $5 (maybe $10) for special exhibits plus $5 for the audio tape that explains each photograph.

Last edited by germaine2626; 12-23-2015 at 09:31 AM..

Old 12-23-2015, 09:49 AM

2,053 posts, read 1,527,589 times
The Top of the Rock is between $25- $32, Empire State Building is about $30.

The admission for the Met is $12-$25 (recommended). American Museum of Natural History $25-$35 (recommended).You'd be surprised at how many people pay the full amount. They are a group of maybe 15 people so I'm betting that they need to pay more than $1, especially if they want to see a particular exhibit.

Most of the things on that proposed list are expensive but I don't know if they would be taking teenagers on a shore excursion in New York City or to major art museums for that matter. All the major visitor attractions costs money (MOMA wants you to pay full price) but some won't be very interesting for a group of teenagers even if they come from out of town. Except for airfare, the OP hasn't told us what the itinerary of the trip is. NYC hotels aren't cheap so maybe this is where the money is going along with traveling expenses in going around NYC.

Old 12-23-2015, 11:25 AM

2,454 posts, read 3,216,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Tarabotti View Post
Except for airfare, the OP hasn't told us what the itinerary of the trip is. NYC hotels aren't cheap so maybe this is where the money is going along with traveling expenses in going around NYC.
Does she need to?

Old 12-23-2015, 05:56 PM

2,936 posts, read 2,334,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskkc View Post
How do you think the teacher feels? Her and her husband saved up for a long time to give these kids an experience and now not only is all THEIR money going to waste

So, you think she and her husband don't know how babies are made? THEY caused the situation, I have no sympathy for them.

And wait til April? When the entire thing needs to be paid in full by March 11th?
Are you kidding me? What if they've been struggling with infertility? Even if it's a complete accident, you're still majorly overreacting.

Sorry but for most women having a baby is more important than a trip to NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting