Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 06:00 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,232,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyWife1218 View Post
Jesus Christ. Why do mothers need to be so critical of one another? My husband works very long hours active duty military. I have no family within 3000 miles and friends move away constantly. Sometimes I need time to myself to get things done. I can't bring my toddler when I get my hair cut for example. It just isn't feasible. Just because I chose to be a mother doesn't mean I need to abandon everything about myself and devote every waking moment to my child without ever getting a break. I did it by myself for the first 5 months without my husband and it was very difficult for me. My baby woke up every 3 hours for five months. I had no help. Now he is back from war and his help is wonderful. I owe it to myself to drop my son off at daycare for a few hours each week just to get a chance to breathe. Please think before you judge. Practice what you preach to your children and stop being so hateful.
These women who `do it all alone`aren`t as proud or happy as they claim to be or else they wouldn`t be so horribly rude to others. They are trying to project an image. Someone who is truly happy, is happy for others too.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:36 AM

2,612 posts, read 5,585,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustamom View Post
What is your definition of daycare? How many half days a week is too many? My kids all went to preschool at the ages of 3 and 4. At 3 they went two mornings a week, and at 4 they went 3 mornings a week. My youngest just turned 4, so he's still in the three year old program and only goes two mornings a week. One day a week he also stays for lunch. We don't send him for his potential "intellectual abilities", we send him so he can socialize and just have some fun. And it also gives me a little break.
I agree. Preschool is NOT daycare. I sent my son 3 days a week for 2.5 hours last year when he was 3,and next year he'll go 4 days. He loves school. It's important preparation for Kindergarten, plus it's his only chance to have friends. He loves to play and it's hard to make a real friend outside of some kind of school situation. He gets very bored with just me. I don't think the play area at the mall cuts it - for one, I don't know those parents or kids or anything about them, and we're unlikely to meet a lasting friend for playdates there. School gives us kids the same age who live right in our neighborhood, and will even go to the same public school eventually. Also, my son is very shy and doesn't make friends with people he's known for 30 seconds.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:48 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
It's unfortunate that this 5 year old bashfest was resurrected.

Old 07-29-2013, 04:35 PM

775 posts, read 1,259,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommiewrites View Post
Why not join a playgroup? That way, you get to know the kids and their parents and form a network of possible babysitters for when you need a break or evening out? Plus- its free!

Granted, one or two mornings a week isn't that big of a deal- but its still time that you could spend in a play environment WITH them. Theres nothing better than watching my son and his friends chase each other around the yard or play with cars on the floor!
So is your beef that people pay for preschool and playgroups are free? Our preschool is play based for the most part, so in essence its one big (structured) playgroup. And sometimes I attend and hang out with the kids (field trips, storytime, etc). How does what other people choose to do affect you?
Not sure I understand what your concern is

Old 07-29-2013, 07:25 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,228,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
I agree. Preschool is NOT daycare. I sent my son 3 days a week for 2.5 hours last year when he was 3,and next year he'll go 4 days. He loves school. It's important preparation for Kindergarten, plus it's his only chance to have friends. He loves to play and it's hard to make a real friend outside of some kind of school situation. He gets very bored with just me. I don't think the play area at the mall cuts it - for one, I don't know those parents or kids or anything about them, and we're unlikely to meet a lasting friend for playdates there. School gives us kids the same age who live right in our neighborhood, and will even go to the same public school eventually. Also, my son is very shy and doesn't make friends with people he's known for 30 seconds.
Exactly. I had my son in a parent-participation preschool (I was there with him) once a week last year when he was three, now he's almost four and going to a part-time drop-off preschool 3 days a week for 2.5 hrs. This is a part-time program so it's not a "daycare" - majority of the moms there are SAHMS because obviously working parents would need a full-day program. So it's essentially designed to provide socialization and kindergarten prep for children who stay at home - they don't do meals and naptimes etc like daycares do, the time is chock-full of learning and developmental activities, play, music, gym, art, etc. It's an amazing facility with a separate gymnasium, art studio, qualified teachers in every subject; it wouldn't cost me any less money if I was to enroll him in these classes separately. And this way he gets a group of peers that's consistent so he can make friends. The other important reason for us was that we're a bilingual household and trying to preserve the native language at home, and the school would provide him with a environment to practice English before starting school. And in fact, while a lot of moms where we live are sahms, I find that the playgroups, parks etc. are mainly geared towards the under-threes. It's a very education-driven environment and by three, pretty much everyone I know had kids in preschool, and it was already getting to where we'd come to the playground in the morning and the only ones there are moms with babies and very young toddlers, so there'd be no one to play with. All our friends have their kids in some sort of program starting at 2. Personally, I wouldn't have wanted him in a drop-off program before three, but now he's so ready to socialize and loves being around other kids, plus i think it's great to have the structure and consistency of the school to get used to.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:12 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
And even if it was day care, it's completely up to the parents and their own situation. Some kids might have strong social needs and need to have friends, an only child might enjoy a chance to be around other kids.

And some people have relatives to give them a break, others do not and if they need a break, they need a break. There is not only one way. Happy parents are better parents.

Old 07-30-2013, 02:45 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times
I'm a SAHM and I'm hoping to put my daughter in daycare one or two days a week sometime after she turns 3. Not so much for a break for me as I don't need a break (I get breaks when she goes to her dad's) but so that she can spend time with other children. And she'll definitely be going to preschool because practically every child goes to preschool here so I wouldn't want her to miss out (and its free anyway - I guess it would be the equivalent to Kindergarden)

Old 07-30-2013, 03:07 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,157,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommiewrites View Post
This is going to be a little bit of a rant, so excuse me if you will- and it is NOT directed at those who have to work and need daycare (because that's a whole different situation), but rather those who are stay at home moms putting their kids in these types of places.

WHY? Let your kids be kids. Stop worrying about your kiddos 'intellectual' abilities. They learn through good, old fashioned play. You want to stay home with them, then STAY HOME WITH THEM. don't send them to a daycare for the day (or half day). Whats the point of you staying home?

Social Interaction- join a playgroup go to the park or the mall - one of our malls has a baby/toddler play area and theres ALWAYS kids in there!! My best friend has kids right around my sons age, and we get together about once a week and let them have fun! We talk in grown up words and they push cars around the floor. Its a win win situation! lol

Sorry- its just once of my pet peeves. Yes, moms need a break sometimes, I'll be the first in line to admit that, but thats where friends come in and your playtimes. Sometimes I watch my friends kids(3) so she can run errands or have her haircut and sometimes she watches mine so I can do the same!

I have a 22 month old, and I can't IMAGINE sending him to a daycare for ANY reason!
Mind your own business.

Old 07-30-2013, 06:07 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,343,499 times
cpg -- summed it up perfectly!

can this thread be closed already?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting