Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2011, 04:13 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,166,264 times

Advertisements

When I grew up my parents used a belt. Never left a welt, scar or bruise - only a red spot. Their parents used the far more fearful 'razor strap'. There were paddlings at school and the parents did not raise objections - this went on into the 1980s. I even remember my grandmother and other older ladies saying they were going to 'pick a switch' if we got out of line.

Mostly we stayed in line!

Old 07-11-2011, 05:06 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Never want to cross a Grandma when she is going to "get a switch"...mine once threated to clean my mouth out with soap...Fels Naptha...just the threat was enough for me.

Old 07-11-2011, 06:37 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,054,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
I am in my early 50s and remember the days when parents were not your friends but in many cases your worst nightmare. I remember parents of some of my friends were really scary and if you crossed them they would come at you hard.

One parent liked to use his belt on the kids and when they did wrong he had a system where they pulled down their pants and the belt was used to give them a real whooping. I can still remember the yells and screams of the kids as the belt hit their buts!

So, do parents use a belt anymore on their kids?
Absolutely not.

Old 07-11-2011, 08:18 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
I am in my early 50s and remember the days when parents were not your friends but in many cases your worst nightmare. I remember parents of some of my friends were really scary and if you crossed them they would come at you hard.

One parent liked to use his belt on the kids and when they did wrong he had a system where they pulled down their pants and the belt was used to give them a real whooping. I can still remember the yells and screams of the kids as the belt hit their buts!

So, do parents use a belt anymore on their kids?
Oh wow......I hope that's died out.....awful discipline....good way to make your kid fear you......hate you.....and leave young.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:29 AM

170 posts, read 399,289 times
You people tell me you wouldn't give a good spanking to this kid?

YouTube - ‪BOY SLAPS MOM ON DR. PHIL (+SUBTITLES)‬‏

Old 07-12-2011, 08:38 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Corporal punishment and bad parents are separate things. There are children who need more structure, firmer authority and more severe consequences. While some children thrive under strict conditions, others whither; it just depends on who your kids are. Good parents know their kids front and back, up and down, inside and out and know how to leverage them. If that leverage needs to include corporal punishment to be effective, a good parent will have that in his/her arsenal and if not, they won't.

You have to parent the kids you have, NOT be the parent in a book.

Old 07-12-2011, 08:45 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,782,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipMC View Post

YouTube - ‪BOY SLAPS MOM ON DR. PHIL (+SUBTITLES)‬‏
Too late. I would give that kid something to do outside or teach him to build something, let him have some unsupervised, undirected learning time with the sun shining on his neck and quit buying tater tots and hotpockets. I don't think he has anything fulfilling in his life.

Old 07-12-2011, 09:45 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipMC View Post
The problems that mother and son have go FAR beyond anything that would be "solved" by spanking. There is a serious lack of respect for each other. That video was hard for me to watch. Mother and son were probably on the wrong track years ago.

But to answer your question, no I would not spank that child. I'd also not call my son "Dude" in anything but a fun loving, kidding situation. What a mess those two are.

Old 07-12-2011, 10:19 AM

170 posts, read 399,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
The problems that mother and son have go FAR beyond anything that would be "solved" by spanking. There is a serious lack of respect for each other. That video was hard for me to watch. Mother and son were probably on the wrong track years ago.

But to answer your question, no I would not spank that child. I'd also not call my son "Dude" in anything but a fun loving, kidding situation. What a mess those two are.
I agree spanking that kid wouldn't solve problem. But I certainly do believe that spanking is necessary in this case to show that kid who's in control.

Old 07-12-2011, 11:41 AM

2,488 posts, read 4,322,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
Too late. I would give that kid something to do outside or teach him to build something, let him have some unsupervised, undirected learning time with the sun shining on his neck and quit buying tater tots and hotpockets. I don't think he has anything fulfilling in his life.
If he had done that to one of my Grandparents, his a*s would have been beaten so hard, it would have knocked the fat out of his body. His mother's too soft on him, he's gotta feel the pain.

Even with me, I would have given him a good hard spanking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting