Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 11:49 PM

133 posts, read 433,399 times

Advertisements

Might I suggest a reading of Bonfire of the Vanities? It seems fitting for this thread, and it's a great book.

Old 09-05-2007, 11:56 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,859,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
For whatever it is worth: I rent a small apartment here in S Scottsdale-------surprisingly enough; it is cheaper here than most of Tempe, Phoenix, etc. plus my roundtrip commute to work in Tempe is 10 miles.

I prefer certain neighborhoods in either of the above cities vs. Scottsdale.......yet, I keep winding up here time and time again.

Things happen for a reason--------and, I am about as unplastic as they come. Old ratty looking SUV with broken A/C etc. yet here I am.

From one unplastic to another...hope you get yer a/c fixed! I kind of like South Scottsdale and am looking for a house to buy as an investment. I think the area around McDowell and Scottsdale (on the east side) is going to be the next Willo. What do you think?

Old 09-05-2007, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50Thunderdart View Post
Humbleness is to know the value of oneself.
If you are humble and know the value of yourself you should not care much about the status concious. No?

Old 09-06-2007, 12:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptbrennan View Post
Might I suggest a reading of Bonfire of the Vanities? It seems fitting for this thread, and it's a great book.
Oh, I loved that book. But I don't see why you think it is fitting. I'd love to hear why you think it is a good fit.

I can't think of any book that fits with Scottsdale. I always am thinking of a story line....arid...everything new...beautiful desert....desolate souls...

Maybe a hybrid of Bukowski and Wolfe(sp)?

Oh, I just thought of something! What was it...the guy that swam from pool to pool in suburbia. Was that the Rabbit guy?

Old 09-06-2007, 12:10 AM

8,323 posts, read 13,453,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
I am about as unplastic as they come. Old ratty looking SUV with broken A/C etc. yet here I am.
Well of course you are! If you were plastic, with no AC in your car, you'd have melted by now!!

Old 09-06-2007, 12:21 AM

133 posts, read 433,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post
Oh, I loved that book. But I don't see why you think it is fitting. I'd love to hear why you think it is a good fit.

I can't think of any book that fits with Scottsdale. I always am thinking of a story line....arid...everything new...beautiful desert....desolate souls...

Maybe a hybrid of Bukowski and Wolfe(sp)?

Oh, I just thought of something! What was it...the guy that swam from pool to pool in suburbia. Was that the Rabbit guy?
I'm not well read enough on Tom Wolfe to reply directly to your references, but thought that Bonfire of the Vanities was fitting based on the commentary about the BMW 3-Series and Hummer crowd. I feel as though we have seen the modern equivalent of 1980s bull-market vanity. Perhaps some here are better people or more mature, but I would bet we've all been guilty of slipping into that world.

And please note the comments about "new money" vs "old money." In the end, money doesn't matter that much.

But a change of tone, I love the quote from the comedian who says, "Money can't buy you happiness; but it can buy you a Waverunner. Try to frown on a Waverunner. You can't frown on a Waverunner."

Old 09-06-2007, 12:38 AM

24 posts, read 23,415 times
The whole plastic issue is subjective but whenever in Scottsdale I've gotten a very unfriendly standoffish vibe. Not my thing. I've been in plenty of wealthy areas but none were as cold as Scottsdale.

Old 09-06-2007, 12:42 AM

202 posts, read 981,427 times
Because those plastic people are A wholes and they act like they are better than everyone else. Ever dealt with one in a restaurant or retail outlet?

Old 09-06-2007, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topjimmy View Post
Because those plastic people are A wholes and they act like they are better than everyone else. Ever dealt with one in a restaurant or retail outlet?
Hmmmm. An answer to my question. No, I've not.

Don't you make more money in this situation? Use their egos, kind of?

If not, why do you even put up with it?

Old 09-06-2007, 12:57 AM

24 posts, read 23,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topjimmy View Post
Nicely said, my experience in life is that real rich people are mostly happy and treat others well, the dead giveaway that someone is a phony is the bad attitude you find in Scottsdale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area