Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2010, 05:19 PM

13 posts, read 78,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
Here it is. The Agua Fria steam generating station. Scanned from a library book! Imagine that.
That's it! Thank you for that. I've lived in Ky. since 1984 but still have many fond memories of Az.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 04:33 PM

2 posts, read 12,519 times
Default Good Shepherd School for Girls Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshmello View Post
19th ave and Northern...I remember when that reform school for pregnant girls (now it's an Albertsons) sat vacant for years. It always creeped me out when we would drive by.

Hey, I was there and it was DEFINITELY NOT for pregnant girls. It was for "troubled" girls (okay, juvenile deliquents) but we were not pregnant.

Old 02-11-2010, 05:47 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,621,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SclarkEarl View Post
Hey, I was there and it was DEFINITELY NOT for pregnant girls. It was for "troubled" girls (okay, juvenile deliquents) but we were not pregnant.
That was the Good Shepherd Girl's School directed by Sister Bernardine. For 300 years the Sister's of the Good Shepherd had been looking after delinquent girls in 400 houses all over the world. This one opened in 1930. It was the home for wayward girls, some privately, some from the courts and welfare board. I have the whole history of the place. Interesting to note that they existed on $4 per day for each girl in the late 1950's: counselors, teachers, doctors, food, clothing and maintenance of the entire complex (most of which was torn down for the shopping center.) The church was upstairs in the existing building over the beauty shop. The upstairs was never rented out probably because it would require an elevator.

Keep clicking on image for larger and larger picture.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-good-shepherd_wm.jpg  

Old 02-12-2010, 12:12 PM

362 posts, read 1,699,995 times
Default Good Shepherd Center

Quote:
Heres another old image and 2 new ones I shot last month.
Notice the statue of (Jesus?) is now missing near the top along with the cross.

The shopping center is now called Good Shepherd Center.
Attached Thumbnails
How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-good-shepherd2.jpg   How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-good-shepherd-5-.jpg   How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-good-shepherd-15-.jpg  

Old 02-12-2010, 02:56 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,621,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westside Willie View Post
Heres another old image and 2 new ones I shot last month.
Notice the statue of (Jesus?) is now missing near the top along with the cross.

The shopping center is now called Good Shepherd Center.
The statue is Jesus as the Good Shepherd, in gold, holding a sheep and his crook I think. How do you remember Phoenix? Stories from long time residents...-good-shepherd_cr.jpg

Old 02-14-2010, 01:58 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,474,232 times
Some more historic photo resources - here's a link to hi-resolution photos of old federal courthouses by state (many still in use as post offices) from the Federal Judicial Center. Here are the Arizona photos (Phoenix, Globe, Tucson, Prescott) :

http://www.fjc.gov/history/courthous...&state=Arizona

Old 02-15-2010, 12:55 PM

1 posts, read 10,103 times
Default Another bites the dust...

I was driving by McDowell and Scottsdale roads the other day and found that the old Bob’s Big Boy that we used to go to when I was a kid (NW Corner…was a JB’s for many years) is forever gone . I can still remember the family going there and how good that Big Boy Combo was

I think the only thing that remains from the old days on that corner is Papago Plaza. There was a hobby place I used to get my models and paints when I was a kid.

Later of course I would go to the Bull and Barrel and Bobbie McGees in the plaza.

Does anybody remeber a little mexican food place called Pepino's Patio off Scottsdale Rd...around Osborn?

Old 02-16-2010, 12:08 AM

83 posts, read 311,211 times
Quote:
my grandmother margarette eaton, used to teach there. i'll have to ask my dad if he know exactly when it was.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
interesting....we moved to the T of PV later that year....I think there's a street in PV named after that family....you say "sort of" and are a family member....do you know something??!!
yea, there is a street named Marston after her, about tatum and mcdonald IIRC.

yea, we, including the police, know who it was, but it could never be proven in court. that person died last year, so i guess they'll get what is comming to them.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:15 AM

does any long time residents remember Rusty Warren?
www.rustywarren.com - Home

i remember my dad did some work for her and IIRC my uncle was her tax lawyer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area