Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2012, 08:25 AM

37 posts, read 146,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZtrails View Post
Do you mean at the restaurant that was at the mini-golf / driving range? That's the only place I can remember on the corner.
The restaurant you're thinking of was "Whats Your Beef". They had a huge salad bar/room, and you picked your steak like you would at a butcher shop.

But the bar was the best. They had the best hamburgers I can remember, and bacon wrapped hot dogs that were killer ( probably in more ways than one ). When I worked at the old Registry Resort, ( 1978-1985 ) we would often stop by there for happy hour/supper. A great place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2012, 09:05 AM

272 posts, read 609,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian740 View Post
The restaurant you're thinking of was "Whats Your Beef". They had a huge salad bar/room, and you picked your steak like you would at a butcher shop.

But the bar was the best. They had the best hamburgers I can remember, and bacon wrapped hot dogs that were killer ( probably in more ways than one ). When I worked at the old Registry Resort, ( 1978-1985 ) we would often stop by there for happy hour/supper. A great place.
Thanks for the info.

Small world. We might have crossed paths - I worked at the old Clarion in 85, then Scottsdale Conference Resort from 86-89. First time at What's Your Beef was with the Clarion crew, then occasionally till the restaurant closed. Their happy hour was hard to resist on a hotel wage - good AND cheap. Never stayed for dinner, though - we used to fill up at the buffet.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:08 AM

272 posts, read 609,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
funny...that old Chinese restaurant location is now the location of....wait for it.....a new Chinese restaurant....was the old one called Ken Fong's??????
Odd coincidence...

Old 02-21-2012, 01:43 PM

24,292 posts, read 13,139,168 times
Quote:
I never ate there either [added, reference is to SW Camelback and Scottsdale], but will try to remember the name. Thinking about other restaurants in the area, do you remember "Round the Corner" at Camelback and Miller? There was a phone at each booth to call your orders into the kitchen. Pretty good burgers!
Went there once, 22nd birthday... grandparents took me there for some reason, right before my commissioning. It was Chinese, and I don't remember it being anything great.

Several posts back there is mention of the Ford dealer, and how a drunk ran out in front of my dad's 64 Olds as we were in the left turn lane; bounced off the hood.

In the late 80s or early 90s it was a night club, Planet Earth. Maybe named after the Duran Duran song, dunno. Never went there, looked like the clientele was all dressed in black with a side order of pensive attitudes.

I remember Round the Corner, my sister's BFF (2012 term) worked there. Senior year at Saguaro, used to work (briefly) at the New London Company, formerly Ye Olde Lantern, and now Don and Charlies, which is about 1/2 block west.

Last edited by SluggoF16; 02-21-2012 at 01:55 PM..

Old 02-21-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeC View Post
Thanks for the info.

Small world. We might have crossed paths - I worked at the old Clarion in 85, then Scottsdale Conference Resort from 86-89. First time at What's Your Beef was with the Clarion crew, then occasionally till the restaurant closed. Their happy hour was hard to resist on a hotel wage - good AND cheap. Never stayed for dinner, though - we used to fill up at the buffet.
Haven't thought of that place in years... grandparents lived at McD and Granite Reef.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:14 PM

9 posts, read 24,294 times
Default Village Inn Pizza

Now that we've kinda been in the Scottsdale/Tempe border area, remember the Village Inn Pizza on McDowell and 68th ST? I'm pretty sure the building is still there, but they would show old black and white silent movies with a guy playing the piano, and you'd get a helium balloon on a stick. Wonder we never stuck our eye's out with those sticks.

I remember when Sears at Los Arcos opened up, they had the Suns there (someone mentioned Don Drysdale at a Sun's event on Camelback, I remember that, and he was at the Sears opening also) and gave away free basketballs.

There was a little cigarette/beer store called the Milk Depot, on Scottsdale Road between Centennial and McDonald... spent many a nickel for candy at that store. Circa 1967-70. They ended up razing it and building a car dealership in the mid 70's.

Minder Binders was mentioned earlier, my parents were there opening night..then a few months later there was a restaurant called The Salt Cellar where you'd go in then go downstairs...unheard of to me who had never seen a basement except for in her grandma's house in the suburbs of Chicago.They served seafood and steaks and weren't nearly as good as Monti's.

Taco Bell (building still there a year ago, it was a coffee house) on ASU campus at University and probably 6th or so would sell tacos 10 for a dollar on Sunday afternoons.

Dad worked for SRP---we went to the Pera Club every year for summer picnics and Christmas parties, until they moved the parties to Legend City. Between mom at Moto and dad at SRP and uncle at Air Research, us kids got all the holiday perks of large corporations... huge fun parties with lots of food and presents and all of it free or close to it. I have no idea what the Pera Club turned into... was at the end of Roosevelt east of 68th St. Anyone know?

Old 02-21-2012, 02:17 PM

122 posts, read 272,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SluggoF16 View Post
Went there once, 22nd birthday... grandparents took me there for some reason, right before my commissioning. It was Chinese, and I don't remember it being anything great.

Several posts back there is mention of the Ford dealer, and how a drunk ran out in front of my dad's 64 Olds as we were in the left turn lane; bounced off the hood.

In the late 80s or early 90s it was a night club, Planet Earth. Maybe named after the Duran Duran song, dunno. Never went there, looked like the clientele was all dressed in black with a side order of pensive attitudes.

I remember Round the Corner, my sister's BFF (2012 term) worked there. Senior year at Saguaro, used to work (briefly) at the New London Company, formerly Ye Olde Lantern, and now Don and Charlies, which is about 1/2 block west.
I used to have a '68 Olds. Run into it and you'd get the dent, not the car. Same for me with Planet Earth -- it didn't look like my sort of crowd.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:24 PM

122 posts, read 272,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by travel gal 35 View Post
Now that we've kinda been in the Scottsdale/Tempe border area, remember the Village Inn Pizza on McDowell and 68th ST? I'm pretty sure the building is still there, but they would show old black and white silent movies with a guy playing the piano, and you'd get a helium balloon on a stick. Wonder we never stuck our eye's out with those sticks.

I remember when Sears at Los Arcos opened up, they had the Suns there (someone mentioned Don Drysdale at a Sun's event on Camelback, I remember that, and he was at the Sears opening also) and gave away free basketballs.

There was a little cigarette/beer store called the Milk Depot, on Scottsdale Road between Centennial and McDonald... spent many a nickel for candy at that store. Circa 1967-70. They ended up razing it and building a car dealership in the mid 70's.

Minder Binders was mentioned earlier, my parents were there opening night..then a few months later there was a restaurant called The Salt Cellar where you'd go in then go downstairs...unheard of to me who had never seen a basement except for in her grandma's house in the suburbs of Chicago.They served seafood and steaks and weren't nearly as good as Monti's.

Taco Bell (building still there a year ago, it was a coffee house) on ASU campus at University and probably 6th or so would sell tacos 10 for a dollar on Sunday afternoons.

Dad worked for SRP---we went to the Pera Club every year for summer picnics and Christmas parties, until they moved the parties to Legend City. Between mom at Moto and dad at SRP and uncle at Air Research, us kids got all the holiday perks of large corporations... huge fun parties with lots of food and presents and all of it free or close to it. I have no idea what the Pera Club turned into... was at the end of Roosevelt east of 68th St. Anyone know?
Remember the Pop Shoppe on McDowell, just west of the Scottsdale Motorola? We used to schlep around cases of empty bottles because they were a few pennies cheaper than the name brands.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
I used to have a '68 Olds. Run into it and you'd get the dent, not the car. Same for me with Planet Earth -- it didn't look like my sort of crowd.
I learned to drive in my parents' 67 Olds Delmont 88. Enormous. Had to parallel park on my 16th birthday. I practiced A LOT with that beast, nailed it first time at the MVD. Wasn't so lucky pulling into the parking lot at the German-American Club for Oktoberfest, 1976. Pulled off the trim strip on the passenger side. Is the German-American club still there (was it on Dunlap?)

Old 02-21-2012, 07:00 PM

2,324 posts, read 7,623,911 times
Just a postcard, but pretty sharp and shows Phoenix in the 50's. Easy to identify dozens of buildings.
Click image for larger version

Name:	pnx aerial.JPG
Views:	5236
Size:	246.0 KB
ID:	91333
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area