Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2012, 07:15 PM

122 posts, read 272,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roosevelt View Post
Just a postcard, but pretty sharp and shows Phoenix in the 50's. Easy to identify dozens of buildings.
Attachment 91333
Great photo!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2012, 04:22 AM

2,324 posts, read 7,621,132 times
Quote:
Just a postcard, but pretty sharp and shows Phoenix in the 50's. Easy to identify dozens of buildings.
Attachment 91333
I thought this postcard looked odd, there is no KPHO TV tower on the Westward Ho, and also no KTAR radio tower on the Heard Building. They were removed for some reason, you can faintly see where they touched up where the towers were.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:41 AM

93 posts, read 253,699 times
Great Postcard! I enjoyed tring to remember some of the old buildings. That is a mystery about the radio towers not being present. What is the large, white square buiding on the right, just about in the middle of the picture? I don't remember it at all.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wendell View Post
Great Postcard! I enjoyed tring to remember some of the old buildings. That is a mystery about the radio towers not being present. What is the large, white square buiding on the right, just about in the middle of the picture? I don't remember it at all.
That building is Korricks after they remodeled it. Behind that building is Goldwaters and Dorris-Heyman.

I looked closer at the postcard and the towers were removed. Look at the Heard building and you will see where it is fuzzy above the roof. By this time, there was only one tower on that building, the other one fell over in a storm.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:45 PM

Korricks, of course It is!

Somewhere, probably between 4th and 2nd Streets near Washington or Jefferson was a little hole in the wall snack bar or diner. I think it had stools and a lunch counter. When it was closed they just rolled the door down or something like that. I always thought it was so neat as a little kid but never got to eat there (or anywhere for that matter).

How about the Hispanic newspaper guy who sold papers in front of Woolworths? As the years went by and I grew up I watched him get older and older. Some kids were playing tricks on him and being mean. I always though that if he was young again they would not be doing that.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wendell View Post
Korricks, of course It is!

Somewhere, probably between 4th and 2nd Streets near Washington or Jefferson was a little hole in the wall snack bar or diner. I think it had stools and a lunch counter. When it was closed they just rolled the door down or something like that. I always thought it was so neat as a little kid but never got to eat there (or anywhere for that matter).

How about the Hispanic newspaper guy who sold papers in front of Woolworths? As the years went by and I grew up I watched him get older and older. Some kids were playing tricks on him and being mean. I always though that if he was young again they would not be doing that.
There was a famous guy that sold newspapers on Central and Washington that had no legs. He went all over town on a small platform with wheels; he wore leather pads on his hands to push with. He loved going to local grammar schools and talking to the kids.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:51 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,897,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZtrails View Post
Remember the Pop Shoppe on McDowell, just west of the Scottsdale Motorola? We used to schlep around cases of empty bottles because they were a few pennies cheaper than the name brands.
Soda Pop Shop is gone. The Milk Depot apparently moved many years ago to McDowell just west of the 101. I'm guessing it's still around.

Old 02-22-2012, 05:52 PM

I remember him very well. I thought about asking if anyone else remembered but it seemed so unlikely I did not ask. I wish I had but I was afraid he might not like it. He could scoot around like nobody's business. Using the restroom must have been difficult but he had to be tough as nails! I was told it happened during the war.

He's not the guy I was thinking of hawking the Az Republic and Phx Gazette by Woolworths (I think).

Old 02-23-2012, 03:33 PM

115 posts, read 291,312 times
Quote:
There was a famous guy that sold newspapers on Central and Washington that had no legs. He went all over town on a small platform with wheels; he wore leather pads on his hands to push with. He loved going to local grammar schools and talking to the kids.
WOW until I read your post I had forgotten all about him. Yes, I do remember him, would see him quite often when my folks took me downtown.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:50 AM

220 posts, read 655,712 times
Quote:
I remember this man so well...he was part of Phoenix.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area