Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 06:07 PM

3,886 posts, read 10,079,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj661 View Post
Quote from the FBI:
FBI: Rankings lead to 'simplistic' analyses
The FBI posted a statement on its Web site criticizing such use of its statistics.

These rough rankings provide no insight into the numerous variables that mold crime in a particular town, city, county, state, or region,” the FBI said. “Consequently, they lead to simplistic and/or incomplete analyses that often create misleading perceptions adversely affecting communities and their residents.”

“You’re not comparing apples and oranges; you’re comparing watermelons and grapes,” said Rob Casey, who heads the FBI section that puts out the Uniform Crime Report that provides the data for the Quitno report."

The "please quitnow" report has, and always will be a joke. You can't give equal weight to property crimes and violent crimes and get an accurate measurement of how "dangerous" a city is!
As I stated in the end of my comment most of our crime is robbery and drug traffic, although this is how the general population meets the gangs in Phoenix. Unfortunately, our gangs don't kill each other as much here, bummer. But they do break in to our houses more, and take your car.
Listen, we are a big city now and getting bigger everyday, crime just goes with growth. There are plenty of places to find here where you won't worry about crime that much but there are places that are full of gang activity. Don't be fooled. I know of a couple of places here you'd be afraid to be dropped off in, believe me. No matter what you've seen. I've lived in some nice areas and had a meth lab explode across the street and 2 murdered illegals in the house behind me, go figure. Fact of life I guess.

Old 12-30-2007, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj661 View Post
Quote from the FBI:
FBI: Rankings lead to 'simplistic' analyses
The FBI posted a statement on its Web site criticizing such use of its statistics.

These rough rankings provide no insight into the numerous variables that mold crime in a particular town, city, county, state, or region,” the FBI said. “Consequently, they lead to simplistic and/or incomplete analyses that often create misleading perceptions adversely affecting communities and their residents.”

“You’re not comparing apples and oranges; you’re comparing watermelons and grapes,” said Rob Casey, who heads the FBI section that puts out the Uniform Crime Report that provides the data for the Quitno report."

The "please quitnow" report has, and always will be a joke. You can't give equal weight to property crimes and violent crimes and get an accurate measurement of how "dangerous" a city is!
By the way on City-data they clearly state which crimes are the highest and the lowest. It comes in handy for this very thing.

Old 12-31-2007, 08:34 AM

2,039 posts, read 6,322,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
As I stated in the end of my comment most of our crime is robbery and drug traffic, although this is how the general population meets the gangs in Phoenix. Unfortunately, our gangs don't kill each other as much here, bummer. But they do break in to our houses more, and take your car.
Listen, we are a big city now and getting bigger everyday, crime just goes with growth. There are plenty of places to find here where you won't worry about crime that much but there are places that are full of gang activity. Don't be fooled. I know of a couple of places here you'd be afraid to be dropped off in, believe me. No matter what you've seen. I've lived in some nice areas and had a meth lab explode across the street and 2 murdered illegals in the house behind me, go figure. Fact of life I guess.
I'd say that the crime is the same here in Phoenix as it is in ANY big city. Just because Phoenix "looks"like a big suburb, it's actually a large city. If you wander into the known areas that have crime, you just may become a victim of one. So, STAY OUT OF THOSE AREAS! I UNDERSTAND IT CAN BE TRICKY KNOWING WHAT AREAS ARE OK AND WHICH ones are not, but I feel it's usually obvious which neighborhoods should be avoided at all costs.

That's why I prefer staying in Scottsdale, it's relatively safe just about anywhere in the city of Scottsdale. Even "South Scottsdale" is not as bad as some of the better areas in the west valley! And stay out of the city of Phoenix (downtown) unless you are a thug or you speak fluent Spanish. I feel safe in Scottsdale any where I go.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:18 AM

401 posts, read 2,604,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxray View Post
Relative to other cities, we don't have a ghetto. There isn't any part of the city that I would be scared to drive thru. You couldn't pay me to drive though the Tenderloin in SF or South Chicago let alone South Dallas
Haha, right on dude. Ive visited Phoenix many times and am originally from the Chicagoland area. I think its hillarious listening to people on here raving about how dangerous and scary Phoenix is getting. I think if some people strolled through the ENTIRE South side Chicago (Calumet City, Dixmoor, Robbins.) You can go 20 miles and still be in some of the most ghetto slums in America. I think if some people saw other ghettos (South LA, East Cleveland, South Bronx, Miami, Detroit etc......) they would really get a feel for how nice Phoenix is.

Old 01-01-2008, 11:40 AM

It is always Chicagoers who get murdered here, go figure. lol Nothing like a innocent little big city kid running through Phoenix loaded down with goodies. lol P.S. make sure to brush up on your spanish!!

Old 01-01-2008, 05:13 PM

401 posts, read 2,604,814 times
Quote:
It is always Chicagoers who get murdered here, go figure. lol Nothing like a innocent little big city kid running through Phoenix loaded down with goodies. lol P.S. make sure to brush up on your spanish!!
Make sure to brush up on my spanish? Im pretty fluent, thanks.

Oh and educate yourself, Chicago has the second highest population of mexican-americans in the US (behind LA). Not to mention all the carribean citizens

Old 01-01-2008, 05:21 PM

2,788 posts, read 7,448,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
That's why I prefer staying in Scottsdale, it's relatively safe just about anywhere in the city of Scottsdale. Even "South Scottsdale" is not as bad as some of the better areas in the west valley! And stay out of the city of Phoenix (downtown) unless you are a thug or you speak fluent Spanish. I feel safe in Scottsdale any where I go.
Crime doesn't respect municipal boundaries, and Downtown Phoenix is actually quite safe compared to many portions of the metro area. I'm not a thug and my Spanish is pretty minimal, but I go Downtown at least once a week and generally feel safer on the streets there than in many suburban parking lots.

Old 01-01-2008, 06:48 PM

9 posts, read 39,481 times
As a native south Chicagoan, I agree with a few of the threads, but the south side is nowhere near as bad as the West Side. My fiancee and I were dropping off a friend on Ohio and Laramie one night (true ghetto - I mean crackheads, liquor stores on every corner, the works, for those who don't know) and the cops pull us over, grabbed (literally) my fiancee out of the car and start pushing him and frisking him; asking "Where'd you buy, whiteboy!?" If that ain't the hood, I don't know what is.

Old 01-01-2008, 10:53 PM

183 posts, read 286,691 times
Quote:
Ha Ha too bad there's more mexicans in Chicago and Illinois than in all of Arizona

Old 01-01-2008, 11:56 PM

1,459 posts, read 3,298,103 times
wow, as someone who was considering moving to Phoenix, I may have to think this one over. I have starting reading about Phoenix and it seems that you guys have a serious gang problem. Sure, you can say, stay out of gang territory...but how long before you accidentally **** a gang member off minding your own businessess driving down the street in a non gang area?

And I had to laugh at someone trying to justify 234 murders in a year. That is very high.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area