Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 11:35 AM

31 posts, read 85,446 times

Advertisements

You can also check out Pitt. We're always hiring data entry people/transcriptionists! With a Pitt ID you can ride the bus for free when you need to.

Check out the UCSUR webpage as well. I think there's an employment link somewhere on the page
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2011, 11:52 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,092,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctoocheck View Post
I have made some extra cash over the summers doing research studies. Sometimes they're just an hour long but can get you $15-20. Other times they may be over a few days or weeks. I did one a couple years ago for like an hour or two over 8 days that I got paid $250 or so for. CMU has some listed under Experiments at Carnegie Mellon University There are also usually posters around campus at CMU and Pitt with others. Granted it's nothing long-term, but it can be helpful for a little extra cash...
Be careful doing this! I did this a few times at UCLA back when I was young and poor in Los Angeles. It worked well the first two times but the third time I allowed them to do some sort of patch testing and I had a violent reaction that led to me developing permanent red patches on my face and nose (rosacea) that I still have 30 years later.

Product testing can bring in a few bucks, though, and I've never had a side effect from that!

Old 02-01-2011, 11:53 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,092,767 times
It's tax season. Maybe H&R Block needs some part time people with your skills.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:01 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,071,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
It's tax season. Maybe H&R Block needs some part time people with your skills.
That's a great suggestion!

Old 02-01-2011, 01:47 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,825,178 times
Paul, another thing you should do is take state civil service tests...there are probably tons of state jobs around Pittsburgh....which tend to pay better than private industry jobs in PA, and have better benefits and also a pension.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:21 PM

59 posts, read 129,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
Otherwise I pay only gas and electric---both of which are sky-high right now and both of which will be next to nothing starting in a couple of months. My utility providers---Duquesne and Equitable---DO offer the budget option.

How does your electric bill go up in the winter? Mine drops to next to nothing in the winter, but goes up significantly for the hot months in summer. Vice versa for gas, which I pay on a budget plan.

You should try applying for LIHEAP. Application period is open now, and if you qualify they will make a payment to the gas company which will bring down averaged budget payments.

Old 02-01-2011, 03:39 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,612,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
I'd like to retain my insurance (even though I'm currently on the company's insurance policy).
Wait... what... say that again! You're insuring your car twice?

Old 02-01-2011, 03:58 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,663,296 times
Nah, I think he means he doesn't need to have personal insurance to have the delivery job, which is true. The company insurance doesn't cover him driving his own car (except possibly if it's for company business).

That said, there's no need to keep it. Sometimes having a gap can increase the cost slightly when you try to get coverage again, but it shouldn't stop you from dropping it if you want to or stop you from selling the car.

How often did you say you move the car? Keep in mind that Zipcar includes ALL insurance that you need, even liability. It's completely designed for non-owners. So if you don't need it much, and can bear taking the bus or walking to the nearest Zipcar (prob in Oakland somewhere) then I'm guessing it'll cost less. Even the gas is included in the hourly rates you pay with them. (They have daily rates for longer trips, I forget how those work with the gas.)

Old 02-01-2011, 04:06 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,663,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catchtwenty2 View Post
How does your electric bill go up in the winter? Mine drops to next to nothing in the winter, but goes up significantly for the hot months in summer. Vice versa for gas, which I pay on a budget plan.

You should try applying for LIHEAP. Application period is open now, and if you qualify they will make a payment to the gas company which will bring down averaged budget payments.
Mine doesn't go to next to nothing, because I have an electric range and dryer, and more lights used in the winter. (I used to be good about lights. The other person in the house, not so good. In fact, I'm going to get up and turn one off that she didn't. ) But since I use A/C in the summer it can still double at the peak in July or August.

The gas bill is zilch in summer, though, because the only thing is the hot water. I don't pay it on budget. The max gas bill is actually lower than the max electric bill (electric will go to about $150; gas has reached that level maybe once when it was at its highest cost), apparently a rarity around here. It's one of the few advantages to a house built in the 80s vs older ones. Most newer houses are large and still don't have quite the advantage that this one does in that cost department. Plus the ceiling on the main floor is only 7.5 feet; I think that helps keep it warmer.

Old 02-01-2011, 04:20 PM
igo

39 posts, read 134,816 times
You could always sell any extra stuff you have on ebay and craigslist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh