Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 11:05 AM

3,343 posts, read 10,936,541 times

Advertisements

I make roughly the same every month that you do. I've been tracking my spending since september and i'm realizing that i've been living beyond my means. I have a car payment of about $270, rent is $350 (i know, super cheap and i live in a nice safe area), i spend probably $200-$250 in gas a month because i live 30 miles from my job, my gas bills this winter are around $130 or so, electric anywhere from $30-$70 depending on the time of year. etc.

Recently i did a budget and i really had to cut some things out. I'm at my boyfriend's house several evenings a week, so i got rid of my cable. I don't really miss it at all and i've saved a ton on electricity since i'm not using the tv's so much. I got a over the air antenna for xmas and i get all the youngstown stations as well as a couple of Cleveland channels. Now i can watch my shows if i want to and if i miss one i watch it on hulu. I also have netflix which i can watch on my tv, through my wii or on my computer.

My downstairs neighbors and i both had wireless internet and both of us had an open connection. Well, i realized that my computer was almost always surfing via their internet, so i just got rid of mine and totally eliminated that $120 cable/internet bill. Besides that i limit my dining/grocery money to $200/month. I also limit myself to $200 in gas for my car. I use envelopes for each of those expenses so once the money is gone it's gone. My boyfriend and i have also started clipping coupons and buying things on sale. I don't have room in my budget for getting my hair colored and cut, clothes, etc. To make extra money i sell some mary kay on the side and in the summer i work at my boyfriend's family golf course on the weekends to make extra that i can put into a "fun" account or save for when my gas bills get out of control.

I guess this is life for college grads in the 21st century. When i was working in the automotive industry i was taking home $650/week, had great insurance (that i didn't have to pay for) and i spent money on random stuff i didn't really need. Sure making less money now that i have a degree sucks, but i'll be a better person for it in the long run.

As for health insurance you'd be surprised what you can get when you're young and healthy. I pay $90 pre-tax for medical coverage through work (i was paying roughly the same through medical mutual when i was buying it on my own), i have a high deductable, but i have a decent savings and i'm relatively healthy at age 32. I also pay around $30/month pre-tax for my dental coverage through work. Before i had this job i still got my teeth cleaned twice and year and it cost about $80/visit (i told them to forget the xrays because i didn't have insurance).

BTW, as for jobs, why not deliver pizza at night? I know some guys that make a ton of money doing that? What about bartending? Could you stock shelves at the local giant eagle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 05:58 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ML North View Post
I'm so glad you said this. In college, my buddy and I always talked about doing this but never did. I think there's a lot of money to be made by shuttling drunk Pitt and Duquesne students to and from the Southside.
Actually, I used the service a guy who did this in Charlotte. Drove us from our hotel which was a hour away to Uptown Charlotte for $90 which is cheaper than a cab. I think the van he used was his second vehicle to avoid wear on a nicer car. If he usually stays in Charlotte he can find himself a lot of business on the weekends.

A pretty good idea.

Old 02-05-2011, 12:42 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,952,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
I make roughly the same every month that you do. I've been tracking my spending since september and i'm realizing that i've been living beyond my means. I have a car payment of about $270, rent is $350 (i know, super cheap and i live in a nice safe area), i spend probably $200-$250 in gas a month because i live 30 miles from my job, my gas bills this winter are around $130 or so, electric anywhere from $30-$70 depending on the time of year. etc.

Recently i did a budget and i really had to cut some things out. I'm at my boyfriend's house several evenings a week, so i got rid of my cable. I don't really miss it at all and i've saved a ton on electricity since i'm not using the tv's so much. I got a over the air antenna for xmas and i get all the youngstown stations as well as a couple of Cleveland channels. Now i can watch my shows if i want to and if i miss one i watch it on hulu. I also have netflix which i can watch on my tv, through my wii or on my computer.

My downstairs neighbors and i both had wireless internet and both of us had an open connection. Well, i realized that my computer was almost always surfing via their internet, so i just got rid of mine and totally eliminated that $120 cable/internet bill. Besides that i limit my dining/grocery money to $200/month. I also limit myself to $200 in gas for my car. I use envelopes for each of those expenses so once the money is gone it's gone. My boyfriend and i have also started clipping coupons and buying things on sale. I don't have room in my budget for getting my hair colored and cut, clothes, etc. To make extra money i sell some mary kay on the side and in the summer i work at my boyfriend's family golf course on the weekends to make extra that i can put into a "fun" account or save for when my gas bills get out of control.

I guess this is life for college grads in the 21st century. When i was working in the automotive industry i was taking home $650/week, had great insurance (that i didn't have to pay for) and i spent money on random stuff i didn't really need. Sure making less money now that i have a degree sucks, but i'll be a better person for it in the long run.

As for health insurance you'd be surprised what you can get when you're young and healthy. I pay $90 pre-tax for medical coverage through work (i was paying roughly the same through medical mutual when i was buying it on my own), i have a high deductable, but i have a decent savings and i'm relatively healthy at age 32. I also pay around $30/month pre-tax for my dental coverage through work. Before i had this job i still got my teeth cleaned twice and year and it cost about $80/visit (i told them to forget the xrays because i didn't have insurance).

BTW, as for jobs, why not deliver pizza at night? I know some guys that make a ton of money doing that? What about bartending? Could you stock shelves at the local giant eagle?
You pay $360 a year for dental coverage? Is it worth it? I don't ever spend that much on dental services in one year, even with yearly xrays. I spend $150 for two cleanings, close to your $160. They only do xrays every other year and I think those were $65. In two years, I've spent $215, nowhere near the $720 you will spend on dental insurance. Even if I had to have a filling replaced, it still wouldn't come near that amount. For me, it's definitely not worth it. Put the $30 a month in the bank, let it earn some interest, and spend it on dental work if you need it. If you're like me and don't need to use it, you can take a trip with the money!

Old 02-05-2011, 09:38 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,936,541 times
^You know what, now that you say it, i'm really not positive what i pay for the dental. Ok, wait, just looked, it's $11.85 every two weeks. I got it because it's taken out pre-tax and it covers root canals, crowns, etc, the basic coverage only covers cleanings and i wanted to make sure if i need something expensive done it would be covered and i wouldn't have to come up with hundreds of dollars to pay for it.

Good point though, i might have to consider your advice!

Old 02-06-2011, 01:23 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,952,224 times
What happened to the OP? He got tons of great advice from you all and he never returned! Oh well. I have no doubt this advice will help many people in the similar situations.

Old 02-09-2011, 05:54 PM

26,699 posts, read 41,742,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denton56 View Post
What happened to the OP? He got tons of great advice from you all and he never returned! Oh well. I have no doubt this advice will help many people in the similar situations.
He's probably out trying some of these suggestions to make extra cash.

Old 02-09-2011, 09:49 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
He's probably out trying some of these suggestions to make extra cash.
He was probably drinking a lot when he posted and then realized Visa would give him a credit card at 25% and he could live great for the next 12 months. He might be back, but at that point will not have a computer and will be living in some box under a bridge in the city.

Old 02-10-2011, 07:54 PM

783 posts, read 2,022,370 times
Get a better job. Go to a staffing agency. Most will get you an easy office job making $12-$15 an hr pretty quickly, especially if you have a BA.

Donate plasma. You'll get over $200 a month for that.

Sell stuff on Ebay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh