Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 02:51 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
You want me to stop spending money because others don't have enough to take a road trip of two? If it weren't for me and others like me, our barely limping along economy would come to a screeching halt. Take a minute and think about that.
Some people don't understand that we all make choices in life.
I do what's important to me, and that is to travel.
I've recently turned down a few job offers with serious pay raises because I'm happy living in Europe and have another year or so here.
I'll start addressing jobs after next summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 02:54 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I assume thread starter was hoping to hear wails of discontent from others who hadn't had a vacation in ten years? Sorry, doesn't seem to be working out for you.
Just got back from a week in St. Simon's Island, GA, with a side trip to Savannah. We did use frequent flyer miles for one airfare. We went to Cali in May for DH's college reunion, are going to Pittsburgh in Oct. for a wedding. Since I work part time, I did not have to use vacation time for these 4 day weekends. Oh, yeah, we also went out to Omaha for a 4 day w/e to visit DH's 91 yr old mother.

Last year, I think the only trip we took out of state was to Omaha. We did have a long weekend in the CO mtns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Hell if we count camping I could throw in some more nice trips! We live in Arizona and manage to get out for the white trash vacation (camping) at least four times per year. The beautiful Arizona mountains, the wife, the dog, and a cooler of cold beer. Heaven.

I'm with you guys on the traveling, current job I negotiated a promise of unpaid time off as needed for travel, past the paid vacation time employees are given. Last raise at previous company I managed to trade it for another week of paid vacation too.
Of course you should count camping. Obama gets dinged by the RW every time he goes away even for a weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
You want me to stop spending money because others don't have enough to take a road trip of two? If it weren't for me and others like me, our barely limping along economy would come to a screeching halt. Take a minute and think about that.
Exactly! I work hard for my money. I'll spend my vacation time any damn way I want to!

Old 08-25-2010, 03:01 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Says he is having a great time on vacation, according to ABC... who called it "Breaking News":

"Breaking News: President Obama Says "I'm Having a Great Time" On Vacation

August 25, 2010 12:42 PM

Share:
Email

Last night President Obama and First Lady Obama dined at State Road Restaurant in West Tisbury on Martha’s Vineyard.
Their dinner companions were family friends Dr. Eric and Cheryl Whitaker, senior adviser Valerie Jarrett, and lawyer and business executive Vernon Jordan and wife Ann Dibble Jordan."

Here is the link... I suspect the title will be changed when they find out just how ridiculous ABC News looks falling over for the President like this. Was it BREAKING NEWS when President Bush was at his ranch?
Occasionally. And isn't the thread supposed to be about Obama, not Bush. That's what all you RWs are always saying when Bush is referenced in any kind of a negative way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrycat View Post
When Bush choked on that pretzel , then barney the dog ate it after secret service did the heimlich . That made news .
When Carter was nearly bit by a rabbit, that made news too. Gerald Ford tripping. Etc. Such is the state of the news.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:04 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,056,680 times
My spouse, who works as a computer systems architect, would be unemployed if not for people who travel, people who subscribe to cable, people who use cell phones, people whose homes run on natural gas, people who further their educations on-line, people who buy new cars, and people who need medical care, among MANY others.

Thank God there are still people with money to spend on vacations! Without them, we'd all be up a creek without a paddle.

Old 08-25-2010, 03:21 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,789,619 times
I'm a staycation type of guy because I can't afford a prolonged out of state vacation. I would love to travel the world while I'm still fairly young, but that ain't going to happen unless I survive some good fortune falling right on top of my head.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:02 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,948,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blewcas View Post
Jesus you people take a lot of vacations. IM 19 and live with my parents so im no better but im gonna talk about my parents. If they even take the weekends off it rare. How do you go about taking 3 or more vacations a year?? If my parents can take 3 in 3 years there lucky.
I majored in something that I knew would provide stable, well paying employment after graduation, even if it wasn't exciting or fun. It's a work hard/play hard mentality. I generally work 50+ hours a week, but my company gives me 5 weeks off per year to do whatever I want. I haven't been able to take all 5 weeks every year, but I usually squeeze in at least 3 of them.

My husband and I both work in the same industry, so we're DINKs with plenty of vacation days. One trip a year is always out to visit my family in California for a week, so that generally only costs us the airfare to get out there. One of the other two has been a cruise in the caribbean the past few years, which can be purchased fairly last minute (a month out) for pretty darn cheap--$500pp for a week of food, lodging, and entertainment. The last vacation is generally whatever nifty special I find by subscribing to travel deal emails. Ireland and Costa Rica are really cheap in the off season.

Growing up, we never took extravagant vacations--we'd road trip to visit family for a week in the summer, or go camping 10 miles from our house. It was a choice my parents made though. My mom wanted to only work part time to be home when my sister and I weren't in school. They also chose to have multiple children at a young age, rather than travel before (or instead of) having that commitment.

If you want to be able to travel the world each year, there are choices you can make to better enable yourself to do so.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:18 PM

3,175 posts, read 3,656,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookTheBrotherUp View Post
Says he is having a great time on vacation, according to ABC... who called it "Breaking News":

"Breaking News: President Obama Says "I'm Having a Great Time" On Vacation

August 25, 2010 12:42 PM

Share:
Email

Last night President Obama and First Lady Obama dined at State Road Restaurant in West Tisbury on Martha’s Vineyard.
Their dinner companions were family friends Dr. Eric and Cheryl Whitaker, senior adviser Valerie Jarrett, and lawyer and business executive Vernon Jordan and wife Ann Dibble Jordan."

Here is the link... I suspect the title will be changed when they find out just how ridiculous ABC News looks falling over for the President like this. Was it BREAKING NEWS when President Bush was at his ranch?
Awwwwe, I'm so glad he is having a good time.
But he always has a good time, doesn't he?
He likes pleasure and parties.
Hey that's what its all about, destroy the country and have FUN doing it!

Old 08-25-2010, 04:56 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
Lots of mini vacations Every once in a while me and a coworker or two will rent a plane and go somewhere for the weekend, plus I live on the beach in a beautiful part of California right next to a nature preserve and down the street from two state parks.

I have no real need for a vacation since I can ride my bike 5 miles down the road and be in a very secluded beach area... but I have been to Germany once this year to visit family. Next year I'll be going to Argentina for a few weeks as well.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:23 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blewcas View Post
Jesus you people take a lot of vacations. IM 19 and live with my parents so im no better but im gonna talk about my parents. If they even take the weekends off it rare. How do you go about taking 3 or more vacations a year?? If my parents can take 3 in 3 years there lucky.

I take three every year. It's easy. Plan around it and change your budget or lower your standard of living to accommodate travel.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:35 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,495,169 times
I took a week's vacation this year, and two weeks last year. In between, I do a lot of local, day trips. It's healthy to change your scenery, clear your mind, and reduce stress. In the long run, it makes you more productive.

There was a period of 11 years that I was unable to take a vacation at all due to caring for an ill family member who has since passed away. My first vacation in 11 yrs was the 2009 two week extravaganza that was earned and well deserved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies