Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 02:20 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,201,832 times

Advertisements

I assume thread starter was hoping to hear wails of discontent from others who hadn't had a vacation in ten years? Sorry, doesn't seem to be working out for you.

Last: A few weeks in Laos earlier this year.

Next: A week in New York City, leaving this Friday.

Then: Vegas in September, Morocco early next year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 02:21 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,635,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Didn't the Obama's pay for her trip to Spain?
Partially ... not all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
You need a new job!

Lots of them out there and the pres is working hard on his vacation to make sure you get one!

Remember ... this is the "Summer of Recovery"

and ... don't forget ... "Unemployment will not go above 8%" !!!

I'm fill of hope there will be change!

Old 08-25-2010, 02:23 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Well in my case, I plan a lot. I figure out where I wanna go and how much it will cost and how much I need to take out of each check to have enough money to get there when I wanna go. Plus I work in hospitality so I get great discounts on hotel stays, airfare and rental cars. If I didn't have those discounts I'd probably travel a lot less but I figure might as well use it while I can Plus I have a lot of "hook-ups" all across the nation so I get in a lot of places for free or at a really good discount.
I'm in the same boat to a degree.
I plan my time; enjoy camping in good weather. Add a few days to my long weekends.
I just got a flight to London on RyanAir for €8 (including taxes). I'll leave on Friday and return on Sunday. I'll stay with friends. If they're busy, I'll drive somewhere on the mainland for the weekend. I can afford to dump an €8 ticket.
My flight to Barcelona was €15.
I also use hotelscombined.com and other online sites for accommodations. I got rooms in Krakow at a 5 star for €50/night.

Travel is my passion.
I work to travel, have few other expenses. I rent two houses out in the States so I have some extra income; I own both houses free and clear.

My neighbors and staff stopped asking me "if" I'm traveling this weekend and started asking "where".

Old 08-25-2010, 02:26 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,845,558 times
He'll have way more time for vacation after his one term is up.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:28 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,210,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
I think its rather ridiculous that many on this thread that claim to care about the middle class and what they are going through. Is so willing to thumb their nose at them. Because many on here is able to take vacations and get away they want to ignore the many more that cant.

Maybe those on here should feel blessed to be able to take them and be humble for those that arent. For those that are humble are the ones truly blessed.
It's ridiculous that some have the ability to save money and plan wisely to take vacations? You sound bitter and jealous......sorry things aren't working out for you. I hope that you are soon in a better financial picture and can get out there and see more of the world.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:30 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,843,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
When was the last time you took a vacation ?
According to some the unemployed are on a "vacation"

Old 08-25-2010, 02:31 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
It's ridiculous that some have the ability to save money and plan wisely to take vacations? You sound bitter and jealous......sorry things aren't working out for you. I hope that you are soon in a better financial picture and can get out there and see more of the world.
Education helps, too.
I have very specialized, yet plug and play skills.
I can, and do, work all over the world in different organizations for 2-5 years at a pop.

I worked and studied hard to be in this position.
Now I'm enjoying my life after years of keeping my nose to the grindstone.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:32 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,201,832 times
Hell if we count camping I could throw in some more nice trips! We live in Arizona and manage to get out for the white trash vacation (camping) at least four times per year. The beautiful Arizona mountains, the wife, the dog, and a cooler of cold beer. Heaven.

I'm with you guys on the traveling, current job I negotiated a promise of unpaid time off as needed for travel, past the paid vacation time employees are given. Last raise at previous company I managed to trade it for another week of paid vacation too.

Old 08-25-2010, 02:35 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,055,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
I think its rather ridiculous that many on this thread that claim to care about the middle class and what they are going through. Is so willing to thumb their nose at them. Because many on here is able to take vacations and get away they want to ignore the many more that cant.

Maybe those on here should feel blessed to be able to take them and be humble for those that arent. For those that are humble are the ones truly blessed.
You want me to stop spending money because others don't have enough to take a road trip or two? If it weren't for me and others like me, our barely limping along economy would come to a screeching halt. Take a minute and think about that.

I don't walk around bragging about my travel plans, but I'm certainly not going to feel guilty about them. My neighbor drives an $80k car. I suppose I could envy him, but to what end? He worked hard to afford his new toy. Good for him!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blewcas View Post
How do you go about taking 3 or more vacations a year??
Good planning and ample savings.

Last edited by formercalifornian; 08-25-2010 at 02:51 PM..

Old 08-25-2010, 02:36 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,217,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by king's highway View Post
?

He is on vacation beginning Aug 19 for 10 or 11 days ?

What day does his vacation end. Anyone know ?

~
January 03, 2011
Quote:
The One Hundred Twelfth United States Congress is the next meeting of the legislative branch of the United States federal government, composed of the United States Senate and the United States House of Representatives. It is scheduled to meet in Washington, D.C. from January 3, 2011 to January 3, 2013...

- Wiki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies