Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2011, 09:51 AM

12,373 posts, read 13,197,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Fair minded? When people were dying because the union decided to teach everyone a lesson of just how invaluable they are? Tell that to the parents of the TWO babies who died because the ambulance/EMT couldn't get through.

Yes, I agree. Those drivers will turn on a dime if there's a hint of criminal charges.
Yes yes yes, because YOU say so, we get it Do you still believe garage bosses are unionized too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 09:59 AM

45,231 posts, read 26,457,645 times
Well I watch all the mainstream news channels and listen to my Democratic party demagogues faithfully and it is only the "wealthy GOPers" who are selfish and self serving, so no way these simple city workers would have ever done anything to harm the taxpayers who pay their generous salaries and benefits

PS Comrade Bloomberg appreciates everyone's efforts on this thread to whitewash this scandal and preserve his rep.

Old 01-01-2011, 10:06 AM

401 posts, read 473,858 times
I will wait and see what the verdict is but I will tell you that unionized labor will exhibit this kind of behavior when things don't as they would like. I am a close friend with people that work for highway departments in NY. The stuff that they tell me is appalling. I wont go into details but it absolutely plausible that these workers put forth a less-than-stellar effort to try to retaliate and influence government to send some more money their way.

I am really curious to see where this goes. The problems is that the state/city government will not want to find any wrong doing as it will open them up to significant law suits. Someone needs to get to the union bosses and workers and question them thoroughly before they have time to align.

Last edited by jaydog32; 01-01-2011 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-01-2011, 10:58 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,316,377 times
Here's a quote from an interesting article about the storm that hit New York City.

Quote:
This was a particularly difficult storm to fight. Snow fell at a rate of 2 to 3 inches an hour, while winds gusted to as high as 80 mph. A Weather Channel announcer said that the barometric pressure measured in the eye of this storm was equivalent to a Category 2 hurricane.

Most streets would have to have been plowed more than once every hour just to maintain a minimum amount of clearance. With nearly 20,000 lane miles of streets and several hundred lane miles of highway, the city would need about 5,000 garbage trucks equipped with plows to clean each street every hour. But the city has fewer than 2,000 garbage trucks.........
Read more: New Yorkers, stop complaining about the snow: City Hall is doing its best to recover from blizzard

Quote:
Fair minded? When people were dying because the union decided to teach everyone a lesson of just how invaluable they are? Tell that to the parents of the TWO babies who died because the ambulance/EMT couldn't get through.
Sarene, you are taking the rumor of a conspiracy slow-down as fact, a rumor that originated from a Republican elected official with a supposed secret union informant. By fair-minded I mean, wait until there is an investigation into his allegations before placing blame. Scream all you want IF they are proven true. But one fact can't be disputed: this was a freakish bad storm and New Yorkers had expectations for its clean-up that were way out of line with reality. As much as man wants to believe we can tame mother nature, often times she wins.

Last edited by Wayland Woman; 01-01-2011 at 11:31 AM..

Old 01-01-2011, 12:37 PM

1,377 posts, read 1,054,287 times
Well, I'll tell ya Times Square look as if it were Springtime last night during the ball drop. Did a real nice job cleaning that area out. Not one snow pile to be found!

Old 01-01-2011, 02:18 PM

22 posts, read 25,438 times
Has anyone that thinks we slowed down ever worked in a major snow storm . Well I have worked in a bunch of storms this year I was plowing the west side hiway at one point I could not see the truck that was in front of me never has it been this bad where we requested to shut down the hiway because it got too unsafe we did our best to keep the streets open but it was out of controll I have family. And some who are old I tell you people this I would never put my family or friends in harms way I went to work and gave 110% to keep this city open and too keep the residents of nyc safe please think before you people post us sent workers all have family all no people that couldn't get to work but wed did do our best thank you for all the support

Old 01-01-2011, 02:25 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,861,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggeo View Post
Has anyone that thinks we slowed down ever worked in a major snow storm . Well I have worked in a bunch of storms this year I was plowing the west side hiway at one point I could not see the truck that was in front of me never has it been this bad where we requested to shut down the hiway because it got too unsafe we did our best to keep the streets open but it was out of controll I have family. And some who are old I tell you people this I would never put my family or friends in harms way I went to work and gave 110% to keep this city open and too keep the residents of nyc safe please think before you people post us sent workers all have family all no people that couldn't get to work but wed did do our best thank you for all the support
Thank you, this kind of puts the phony outrage into perspective.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:40 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,956,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Thank you, this kind of puts the phony outrage into perspective.
If only we could be sure it was true.

I'll believe the stories from those out in the field, those who have witnessed first hand the behavior of the drivers, those who have seen loved ones die while waiting for help, for hours.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:41 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggeo View Post
I thank you! NYC was still cleaned up and back running quicker than London, which got only 5" of snow earlier in Dec.

Old 01-01-2011, 02:45 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,197,819 times
Quote:
If only we could be sure it was true.

I'll believe the stories from those out in the field, those who have witnessed first hand the behavior of the drivers, those who have seen loved ones die while waiting for help, for hours.
None of which you know personally right? So why wouldn't you believe the poster above?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies