Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2011, 03:39 PM

50,316 posts, read 47,069,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Yeah it's a FOX lie, meanwhile it is being reported in not just NYC but on many local radio stations and news stations in NJ too about this same thing happening here.
We are seeing the same tactics here in SD. They appear to want the tax payers to feel the pain and soften them up for future pension...errr I mean tax increases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 03:40 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Oh, we know quite a bit more than that, don't we?

We know there was an investigation launched upon hearing rumors of a pending union action, we know that drivers were skipping streets, in fact driving right over the streets without plowing an inch, lifting their blades, slowing down on their routes, we have resident witnesses that observed this behavior, we know whistle blower(s) have come forward telling us they were given such orders and more in this "action", we have deaths, attributable to the inability of emergency workers to reach these people, because the streets were impassable, we have over 400 that called in "sick" (a sure sign of a union action), we have the fact and knowledge that many members of this union were disgruntled and unhappy with layoffs, we have the fact that 100+ supervisor are to be demoted/salary slashed for budgetary reasons....so yeah, we have a LOT more that what you claim.
We know there was an investigation. Period. We don't know what this skipping streets was all about. My own city has a priority list for streets to be plowed in a storm. I bet yours does, too. The lifted blades has been discussed on this forum, by a former plow operator. We don't know if this "sick-out" really was that, or what it was. We should let the facts come out.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:45 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,461,717 times
Quote:
Oh, we know quite a bit more than that, don't we?

We know there was an investigation launched upon hearing rumors of a pending union action, we know that drivers were skipping streets, in fact driving right over the streets without plowing an inch, lifting their blades, slowing down on their routes, we have resident witnesses that observed this behavior, we know whistle blower(s) have come forward telling us they were given such orders and more in this "action", we have deaths, attributable to the inability of emergency workers to reach these people, because the streets were impassable, we have over 400 that called in "sick" (a sure sign of a union action), we have the fact and knowledge that many members of this union were disgruntled and unhappy with layoffs, we have the fact that 100+ supervisor are to be demoted/salary slashed for budgetary reasons....so yeah, we have a LOT more that what you claim.
At this time, we don't know anything for sure. All you mention are rumors we all read on the web. However, even if there was union involvement, the question is to what extend and how much it effected the snow removal. There may even be cases of sanitary workers who had decided to take "initiatives" of their own...
On the other hand, the cityhall may have been over-zealous cutting budgets, gambled the storm will not be bad, and were not prepared accordingly. What about that Sanrene? I also read rumors in that direction...

All that happened last week. But my question is how well is NYC prepared for a real catastrophe. A terror plot, a natural disaster or a huge accident. The only disaster we know in recent times was 9/11 and the city was less then prepared. I am concerned that with all the budget cuts the city is still unprepared.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:48 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,956,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
We know there was an investigation. Period.

Before and after, I believe.

We don't know what this skipping streets was all about.

According to the whistle blowers, this was one of the orders.

The lifted blades has been discussed on this forum, by a former plow operator.

Which is basically meaningless, especially if they were TOLD to do it. And since they didn't make a second, third or any other pass on the street, its more than moot.

We don't know if this "sick-out" really was that, or what it was. We should let the facts come out.
Uh-huh. 400+, calling in "sick" all at once. We do know, you just don't want to admit it. This would be a "typical" union work action, no doubt.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:51 PM

If the investigation has already happened, what are the results?

A lot of "whistle blowers" are simply disgruntled employees.

Someone's experience is basically meaningless. Yeah, right. You don't know any of the circumstances of this issue, either.

Do you have some first hand information that these people called in sick? Please enlighten us if so.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:52 PM

401 posts, read 473,792 times
These union guys better hope this investigation finds in their favor. There a millions of americans just waiting to get nice government job with benefits and a pension.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:53 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,956,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Give it up, Sarene. Ask any city snow removal worker in any town---unionized or not---and they will tell you that every time it snows some yo-yo will call up complaining that a snowplower is driving around with their plows raised. You call them "whistle blowers" but they really are people who don't have a clue about what is actually going on. And your "sure sign of a union action" because 400 workers couldn't get into work? 18" to 28" inches of snow and up to 80 miles an hour winds, snowing 3-4 inches an hour, are the more logical explanations for an absentee rate that doesn't sound all that bad (percentage wise) given the facts mother nature provided.

Not "unreasonable excuses." People here are trying to educate you about snow removal but you refuse to hear anything but a rumor spread by one Republican elected official in NYC who was supposedly told of a worker slow down by a "secret union informer."
You give it up.

The whistle blowers are the actual workers, snow plow drivers, who have come forward.

400+ called in "sick". That doesn't mean they used the excuse of not being able to come in. If they couldn't make it in due to weather, why would they use a sick day? The 100 in addition to that called in for emergency leave, those I would think couldn't make it in.

All your twisting and turning of the facts and evidence is ineffective.

Not one worker, dear. A couple of supervisors in addition to I think three other actual plow drivers.

http://biggovernment.com/kolson/2010...gent-homicide/

Quote:
Plain and simple: the union leaders who called for the job action should be charged with negligent homicide. Let them prove that their actions did not result in the unfortunate deaths of these New Yorkers.
Couldn't agree more.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 01-01-2011 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: Please discuss the topic, not each other.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:55 PM

Post a link, right now, about this "sick-out" or quit posting such as fact.

Old 01-01-2011, 03:57 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,196,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Post a link, right now, about this "sick-out" or quit posting such as fact.
I think FOX pulled it!

Old 01-01-2011, 03:59 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,316,377 times
Quote:
You give it up.

The whistle blowers are the actual workers, snow plow drivers, who have come forward. Try and keep up so we don't have to repeat these SIMPLE facts to you.

400+ called in "sick". That doesn't mean they used the excuse of not being able to come in. If they couldn't make it in due to weather, why would they use a sick day? The 100 in addition to that called in for emergency leave, those I would think couldn't make it in.

All your twisting and turning of the facts and evidence is ineffective.

Not one worker, dear. A couple of supervisors in addition to I think three other actual plow drivers.

Keep up and stop twisting the facts.

» Charge NYC Union Leaders with Negligent Homicide - Big Government

Couldn't agree more.
I am keeping up, dear. Three "whistle blowers" out of 3,500 workers sure makes for a great Fox news story...and Andrew Britbart? Excuse me if I wait until there's been a fair and balanced investigation of the facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies