Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2011, 08:28 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
---

In Europe, "American Haters" are people with a pose, not for real, a rather old fashioned pose. Most "American Haters" are not American haters per se, they are similar to the "progressive" wing of the Democrat party.

Their "Anti-americanism" is American bred, but more political or cultural than personal. You also find similar creeps in the US, creeps such as Michael Moore, Liberal Democrats....

"American Haters" in Europe are just like Liberal Democrats, their culture in entirely American, they have nothing personal against Americans and they are interested in knowing Americans.
You know I noticed a pattern? Liberals claim that liberal Americans are the one that own the most passports in the U.S. vs. conservative Americans right? And they also claim that liberal Americans are more well traveled than conservative ones. SO, let's connect the dots here, and we can arrive at a logical conclusion that most Americans abroad are liberals. And let's look at the union protesters the past week, not exactly a friendly bunch The only people who hate the U.S. in Europe are communist 14 year olds that spend a lot of time bashing America on the internet.

The internet and reality are not representative of each other. The only place where we are hated, would be the Middle East. Not Europe. Besides, a survey was done recently and it said that the French are the most disliked tourists, not Americans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
I could understand it if most of these posters were kids or students that haven't had much life experience yet but...sheesh.

It makes you wonder what they do for a living, if anything.

Self-defeating attitudes.
Strel because we don't take it up the backside from other people because we don't believe that Europeans are some kinda royalty that we must be humble to I've seen Asian tourists disrespecting the Vietnam monument of the 3 soldiers in Washington, DC, so disrespect, as much as you want it to believe, is not an exclusive American thing. Besides, what's up with you liberals going abroad that are ashamed of calling yourselves American, and lying that you're Canadian?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2011, 08:57 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,135,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post

Strel because we don't take it up the backside from other people because we don't believe that Europeans are some kinda royalty that we must be humble to
What a crude and offensive thing to say. No wonder you believe as you do.

Moreover, I neither said nor implied any such thing at all.

Since when is being polite and respectful equate with anal sex?

What the hell is wrong with you?

Quote:
I've seen Asian tourists disrespecting the Vietnam monument of the 3 soldiers in Washington, DC, so disrespect, as much as you want it to believe, is not an exclusive American thing.

Again, this is an immature attitude. Someone else acting like a jerk is not an excuse for us to do the same.

Quote:
Besides, what's up with you liberals going abroad that are ashamed of calling yourselves American, and lying that you're Canadian?
What's up with you presuming I would do any such thing, or that only liberals do it?

Grow up.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:03 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
Quote:
What a crude and offensive thing to say. No wonder you believe as you do.

Moreover, I neither said nor implied any such thing at all.

Since when is being polite and respectful equate with anal sex?

What the hell is wrong with you?

Again, this is an immature attitude. Someone else acting like a jerk is not an excuse for us to do the same.

What's up with you presuming I would do any such thing, or that only liberals do it?

Grow up.
It's true. Liberals always strive for us to be like Europe instead of just us being us. It's that Keeping Up with the Joneses attitude that liberals love to bash, yet slavishly follow when it comes to anything European.

You didn't, but in general, liberals do. I was speaking in general terms.

When I went abroad, I didn't cower in shame that I was American, I didn't stay quiet or anything. I act as I normally do in public here, and guess what? No one hurled insults at me, told me to f*** off and go back to the U.S., or anything. In fact, some people were quite intrigued about me being an American, and this was in the less traveled parts of Berkshire and Oxfordshire where not even Europeans go to visit.

Again, because it's true. My fiancee deals with American tourists a lot during the summer, and a very large chunk of them come from New England and California, and they are pretty rude.

Old 02-28-2011, 09:08 AM

Quote:
It's true. Liberals always strive for us to be like Europe instead of just us being us. It's that Keeping Up with the Joneses attitude that liberals love to bash, yet slavishly follow when it comes to anything European.
Hasty generalization. Your post is not off to a good start, logically speaking.

Are you capable of seeing this issue as a cultural one, can you not keep your extremist ideology out of the discussion?

Is that even possible for you?

Quote:
You didn't, but in general, liberals do. I was speaking in general terms.
You were spouting nonsense.

Quote:
When I went abroad, I didn't cower in shame that I was American, I didn't stay quiet or anything.
Neither do most people, including most liberals. I know conservatives that told people that they were Canadian.

Again, your ideological stereotyping doesn't belong here.

Quote:
I act as I normally do in public here, and guess what? No one hurled insults at me, told me to f*** off and go back to the U.S., or anything. In fact, some people were quite intrigued about me being an American, and this was in the less traveled parts of Berkshire and Oxfordshire where not even Europeans go to visit.
So? Obviously you know how to behave, and that is what it is about. It's not about politics. Never was.

Quote:
Again, because it's true. My fiancee deals with American tourists a lot during the summer, and a very large chunk of them come from New England and California, and they are pretty rude.
Again with the stereotyping.

Sheesh.

Old 02-28-2011, 10:00 AM

3,734 posts, read 5,776,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
---

In Europe, "American Haters" are people with a pose, not for real, a rather old fashioned pose. Most "American Haters" are not American haters per se, they are similar to the "progressive" wing of the Democrat party.

Their "Anti-americanism" is American bred, but more political or cultural than personal. You also find similar creeps in the US, creeps such as Michael Moore, Liberal Democrats....

"American Haters" in Europe are just like Liberal Democrats, their culture in entirely American, they have nothing personal against Americans and they are interested in knowing Americans.
Very perceptive answer!

And I would add that it is our Government and Multinational Corporations which they hate (at least in places where the collective IQ is high enough for people to distinguish between a Population and its Government). Considering that Americans feel the same way about the Government and Big Business, it would seem that we are in agreement with the rest of the world.

As a Southerner, I learned as a tiny tot, that Washington DC was where The Bad People were. In Mississippi, damngovernment is a single word, and has been since the 1960s.

I grew up in a Sharecroppers' Shack, at the back of a farm owned by elegant Black landowners. They had stopped farming their own land, when they could no longer cope with all the Government Interference and paperwork that came with the Kennedy/Johnson "Great Society". At school, the tentacles of Washington were beginning to make education an impossibility. So, I only heard the word 'Government' uttered in tones of contempt or disgust.

I'd imagine that the change in sentiment slowly came about, when, at the close of WWII, Germans and Japanese began bribing US Politicians with the Gold they'd stolen from the people they had murdered and nations they had conquered. Surely, people were perceptive enough to smell a rat, when the nations Americans had given their all to defeat began absorbing American Tax Dollars, and a full media blitz was launched, to overcome our grandparents' "prejudice" against the very people who had tortured and murdered their own comrades and relatives.

What must Americans have thought, when the Republicans hooked up with the Nazi Ratlines, to import the most horrendous War Criminals of Eastern Europe (the very men who had impaled babies on Butcher Knives, and made piles from the eyeballs they'd gouged from living children) as "Freedom Fighters"? What must they have thought, when the Japanese 'Doctor' who had tied American Soldiers to posts, exploded Bombs near them, and then allowed them to slowly die, in agony, of Gangrene....was, instead of being executed, invited to lecture at American Universities?

The Viet Nam war was the last straw for my Parents' generation. Again, Madison Avenue and the Think Tanks were rolled out, and clever psychology was implemented to teach Americans to equate resistance to the War with being a van-driving, pot-smoking Hippie Communist Flower Child. It only halfway worked, and that's when the entire Nation began to view its Government as an Oppressor (along with Madison Avenue...and Wallstreet...and the Labor Unions).

Now, newspapers are going under, because they are hated as Marxist Lie Machines, by their would-be readers. More and more people are packing away their Televisions, because they're tired of being distracted from real news, by Media Smokescreens.

I've stopped buying books, because I've run across too many supposedly 'renegade' publications which, it turned out, were just cleverly repackaged Mainstream Marxist Pap (I know enough to stay away from Right Wing, religion-based garbage). Apparently, in America, you can only be published if you are a Marxist or a Bible-thumping nutjob 'Conservative' harlot (I'm thinking about a certain Horse-faced braying blonde...but she's hardly the only one). I'm interested in neither. I want facts, not Wing-nut ideology.

Now, legitimate scientific inquiry is being suppressed, even at 'our' universities, and replaced with agenda-based Pseudoscience. If this sounds like Nazi Germany or Stalinist Russia to you, then join the club. If the rest of the world does indeed hate America, it is the amorphous, malignant 'Elite' choking the life out of Americans (and as much of the rest of the world as its tentacles can reach) that the rest of the world hates. Surely, most of the rest of the world does not hate us as individuals.

However Americans may have felt about Russia's Government and China's Government, we have mostly felt kindly toward the Chinese People and the Russian People. We have felt empathy toward their plight and wished them well.

One hopes that the rest of the world can now feel empathy for Americans and our plight.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:44 PM

4,903 posts, read 3,363,830 times
Quote:
It's true. Liberals always strive for us to be like Europe instead of just us being us.
So?!???

What's wrong with that? If they're something right, we should strive emulate it rather than try to reinvent the wheel

Old 03-01-2011, 04:49 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,111,508 times
The only people in Europe that "purport" to hate everything that America represents are diehard "commies" and "progressive" and also some in the extreme right.

Those "commies" and "progressive" are not different at all from all the "Extreme liberal crowd" you have there, in fact, they are croonies and they "retrofeed" each other. Fatso Moore and "progressive" Hollywood actors" are a prime example.

In any case, those "progressists" have nothing against any individual American, and yes, all American living in Europe are "progressive" and they are always putting down the good ol' USA. Blame them.

Old 03-01-2011, 05:25 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,760,703 times
Quote:
Then you are part of the problem.

This is exactly the kind of chauvinism that makes people think all Americans are obnoxious.

And it is also the same kind of know nothingism of people who don't travel much. Here is the reality of how the world views tourists from various countries.

French named as world’s worst tourists | euronews, world news

"Already judged to be Europe’s worst tourists last year, the French have now been named as the worst in the world."

BBC NEWS | Europe | 'Rude' French are worst tourists

"France's rivals for the world's "worst tourist" tag, Spaniards and Greeks, came near the bottom of the pack in almost every category."

Old 03-01-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
And it is also the same kind of know nothingism of people who don't travel much. Here is the reality of how the world views tourists from various countries.

French named as world’s worst tourists | euronews, world news

"Already judged to be Europe’s worst tourists last year, the French have now been named as the worst in the world."

BBC NEWS | Europe | 'Rude' French are worst tourists

"France's rivals for the world's "worst tourist" tag, Spaniards and Greeks, came near the bottom of the pack in almost every category."
You're telling me?

I used to work in the tourist industry.

Yes, the French were often obnoxious, but no more so than Americans from certain parts of the country...

Old 03-01-2011, 11:39 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,760,703 times
Quote:
You're telling me?

I used to work in the tourist industry.

Yes, the French were often obnoxious, but no more so than Americans from certain parts of the country...
Go fight with the rest of the world, they disagree with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies