Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2011, 02:06 AM

1,011 posts, read 1,017,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
No one knows what you're talking about.
Holey moley, throwing a "recent UN veto" with nothing else means nothing.
You've been asked to provide a link or something other than "a recent UN veto" for someone to understand what you're talking about.

I couldn't post anything more concrete because your post said exactly nothing.

It's nice that you know what you're talking about, too bad no one else does.
Ok, lets start it from the top.

The US veto at the UN.

Do you know how to use Google?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2011, 02:11 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,340,157 times
A lot of hatred stems from ignorance.

People who say they hate America limit their thinking to politics but are unaware or ignorant of her many contributions to contemporary civilization...

Timeline of United States inventions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 02-23-2011, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
A lot of hatred stems from ignorance.

People who say they hate America limit their thinking to politics but are unaware or ignorant of her many contributions to contemporary civilization...

Timeline of United States inventions - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Look, I am an American.

The Veto was an unnecessary move by Obama that only hurts us Americans.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:24 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,340,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellyouknow View Post
Look, I am an American.

The Veto was an unnecessary move by Obama that only hurts us Americans.
Look, so am I.

The link I posted has nothing to do with Obama`s veto. The way it works on C-D is that when someone wants to question what you say, they quote you and address that part of your post that they wish to comment on.

I didn`t quote you. I`m not particularly interested in your posts. I am, rather, attempting to deal with the OP`s question regarding the way the US is perceived by the rest of the world.

Got it?

Old 02-23-2011, 02:24 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,290,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiggie View Post
NO! of course politics will have an influence on the stereotypes. Let me put another way, if you took a trip to Denmark and I met you, should I A) judge you on what GWB (I'm guessing you're American) did during the early 2000s or B) judge you on how you behave? Or would I dislike you after i've met you, just because of a stereotype stating that you should be an obnoxious American even though you're not. When people actually meet in person, chances are that most stereotypes will fall to the ground, just look at the post I was qouting.

I'm hoping this is getting my point across, because I'm running out of ways to put it.
I'm from the US, yes.
Are you telling me that you have no preconceived notion of how people from the US will behave. Are you saying that your experience from the past has no bearing on what you're first impression will be?

Perhaps because I live in a US military community and I see yahoos all over the place acting like idiots and being extremely "american" I find that hard to believe. I try to overcome my bias, but my first thought is that they're going to be x way. I love being pleasantly surprised, but that doesn't happen too often.

I must say that I met a group of teenaged boys in the Prado the other day. They were quiet and respectful. They were talking quietly among themselves. That's the only reason I knew that they were from the US.

On the other hand... I was in the Thyssen and there are signs all over the place to turn off your phone. A loud ring in one of the galleries had all eyes on the person who answered the phone - LOUDLY - in US English.

I cringe at this type of behavior because it does nothing but enforce beliefs that US citizens traveling are rude and boorish.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Look, so am I.

The link I posted has nothing to do with Obama`s veto. The way it works on C-D is that when someone wants to question what you say, they quote you and address that part of your post that they wish to comment on.

I didn`t quote you. I`m not particularly interested in your posts. I am, rather, attempting to deal with the OP`s question regarding the way the US is perceived by the rest of the world.

Got it?
Got it. This veto really pertains. It's going to last for a few centuries.

I don't give a damn if you are interested in my posts.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellyouknow View Post
Ok, lets start it from the top.

The US veto at the UN.

Do you know how to use Google?
You make the assertion, you provide the link.
I'm not doing research on something that you're asserting.
You know that's not internet protocol.

Link or lie?
Pretty simple.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:36 AM

Quote:
You make the assertion, you provide the link.
I'm not doing research on something that you're asserting.
You know that's not internet protocol.

Link or lie?
Pretty simple.
Just type in the veto by the US into the browser.

You want me to send you photos of dead Americans? Especially my buddies? F'k that.

Why do you keep asking for a 'link'? Life happens outside any 'links'

Old 02-23-2011, 02:42 AM

You've been asked to provide a link to your assertion.
You refuse.
I consider your posts to be false and ridiculous.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:53 AM

Quote:
You've been asked to provide a link to your assertion.
You refuse.
I consider your posts to be false and ridiculous.
What 'link' do you want me to provide to tell you that the US Veto damaged our standing in the world?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies