Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2011, 03:56 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by onihC View Post
Yes, the USA has been disliked around the world for quite a while, I can imagine. It would be a bit uncomfortable to travel around the world with that feeling. I understand why some Americans rather say the name of a city or a state and not USA when asked where they are from.
I've been all over the world in the past 12 years and never encountered ill will toward Americans. I proudly tell anyone I'm from the USA. It's never been an issue.

But then there are many (hopefully not you) who don't want to hear the facts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 04:04 PM

46,961 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Think about this though. The media in Germany and other euro nations are often biased and presented in a limited view, a lot of europeans only ever hear that point of view. During the Bush years the european media was at war with Bush and truth or reporting two sides to the story was often not done.
Seriously? The Germans sent troops to Afghanistan - and I think it's hard to overestimate what an enormous thing it is for Germany to send troops to fight somewhere else. You may have thought it a pittance, but for Germans, this was a huge deal. They have bad, bad experiences in that department.

Then Iraq came around and when Germany more or less said "We don't think that's wise, shouldn't we focus on the job at hand?", the GWB administration reacted with all the dignity of a Valley Girl told she couldn't go the Mall. Off-hand remarks about "Old Europe" were duly noted. As were accusations of collusion with Iraq.

Germany had no reason to like GWB.

Old 02-22-2011, 04:24 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,663,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
When you move to another country (or if you're going to be there for an extended period of time), you need to learn to speak language of that country. Some definitely don't seem to care about that when they move here....you'd think being here illegally would make it even more important. For me, it would be a priority to learn the language....how would you get anything done if you didn't.

If people are on vacation....they don't need to learn the language and of course they want things their way...they're on vacation, they want to be spoiled...that's a part of going on vacation in a lot of cases. If they want english speaking tourists to visit them and spend their money there, the businesses in that area ned to have english speaking employees.
It doesn't matter if you're moving--which you shouldn't ever do--or just visiting (which, come to think of it, you shouldn't do either). You should speak the local language and observe the local customs.

Realistically, I'd advocate against ever leaving the place of your birth. Remain in the same town for the rest of your life.That's where you were born, deal with it.

Old 02-22-2011, 08:15 PM

5,094 posts, read 5,441,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Wrong.
I lived in Germany for many years and traveled to France.
The Germans like Americans, they loved disco music, aerobics, and mountain bikes. American movies and TV programs are very popular. Many American TV shows are copied. The cultural exchange between Europe and America continues, although this is not covered in the US media.
I've met many Germans who have vacationed in the US. Most were very impressed with their trips, San Francisco is beloved. The same Germans also told me that America is a nice place to visit but not to live.
The US military has been stationed in Western Europe since the end of World War Two. Many Germans wanted the Americans out. The bases in Germany served America's interests in the Cold War.
The Marshall Plan was implemented to prevent Europe from becoming communist.
You think America did all that just to be protecting and generous?
I was in Germany as Reagan visited, made his dumb comment at the Berlin Wall and visited a cemetery for SS Soldiers near Bitburg.
The Germans didn't like him and ridiculed his narrow minded opinions.

I don't believe I said any particular country. I think it is wonderful that Germans like us, great thing to know. Does not change the fact that many countries bad mouth us until they need us. FACT! Every country does things in their own best intetest, you as a person I am sure do the same it does not change the fact that many, many American lives were lost to save the asses of other countries and those same counties now bad mouth us. Fine hate us just don't come asking for crap either.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:55 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
did they hate hillary clinton? because she's the one who actually said that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpPABLW6F_A

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-23kmhc3P8U&NR=1

Nice try though.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:59 PM

1,011 posts, read 1,016,926 times
The recent Veto in the UN has completely undermined and ruined lives of many patriotic Americans. Many abroad.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Think about this though. The media in Germany and other euro nations are often biased and presented in a limited view, a lot of europeans only ever hear that point of view. During the Bush years the european media was at war with Bush and truth or reporting two sides to the story was often not done.

There is stereotyping done, both in America and other countries and sometimes the people of these various countries get a false perseption implanted, but that's nothing new. I recently chatted with a Russian one to one for the first time ever and was surpised to find out a lot of things I didn't know or had it wrong and I'm sure he felt the same way.
I'll agree to a point with your comment but also think that with the world being more computer savvy, the reliance on TV news is so strong.

An example agreeing with your point is that one of my coworkers came into work and said that Obama hasn't done anything. I printed a list of some of the accomplishments and handed it to him. He was genuinely surprised.
(Aside, so would many US citizens be surprised)

I have friends who know and understand US policy better than many posters here. They read books and get their news from internet sources.

Still, Germany or other EU countries are more aware of the world around them because they are more affected by it. I know what goes on in France, Czech, Switzerland, Italy, etc. In the states, I don't care about what happens in Indiana.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellyouknow View Post
The recent Veto in the UN has completely undermined and ruined lives of many patriotic Americans. Many abroad.
Link?
Otherwise this has no context.

Old 02-23-2011, 12:31 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,027,890 times
The middle easterners hate americans yet they sell us their oil. If it wasnt for that then i believe they would love to turn us into hamburger. Im not sure about the french but they do run & hide when a global conflict arises. China hates everyone & great britian just dont like u.s. politics. I dont think the united states is the land of the free anymore esp after 9/11/01 & the lame patriot act. If big brother can monitor your every move incl when you pinch a loaf they surely would. We as americans need to stand up for our rights & dont let the govt control us. I surely dont & the local govt & state know it. The fed govt is abit dysfunctional but at least i have my VA benefits cause i earned it by serving my country honorably.
I served 2 yrs in the army in lovely hanau, germany (home of the grim brothers & near frankfurt) & the germans were terrific people & i liked them. I did see more then a few hairy germany women at the parks & lakes but thats their culture. Its not my beeswax if they dont shave their armpits, legs & bush (some were nude & some had bikini bottoms on with hair peeking out of the sides & tops). I know i got off topic but wtf. Overall my tour in germany was great but i wished i did more & i wasnt much of a drinker. Their were LOTS of pretty german women though. Someday i would like to go back to germany & visit berlin & stuttgart. I did visit munich, heidelberg & many other germany towns incl where the castle is thats shown on the disney movies. I wasnt a very open person & i regret that to this day.

Last edited by steel7; 02-23-2011 at 12:45 AM..

Old 02-23-2011, 12:36 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
I can't watch your videos; do they claim that hillary didn't actually say what wikipedia documents her saying?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies